PDA

View Full Version : Healthy food suggestions

kuhio98
11-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Willy is only 12 weeks old now. He and his sister are still eating kitten food (Iams suggested by the rescue).

I haven't had a male cat in 30 years and I'm concerned about the best food for him so that (hopefully) he never has crystals or urinary blockages. We have a water fountain so he always has access to plenty of water. I'm told that good quality food should contain little ash. The adult kitties in the house are currently eating Science Diet Natures Best (http://naturesbest.sciencediet.com/products/feline.asp)

Is that a "good" food? Naturally, I'll ask the vet at their next appointment, but I figured I might as well take advantage of all of your knowledge. Seems like male kitty blockages can be frequent (and life threatening).

Any advice would be appreciated.

krazyaboutkatz
11-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure which food would be best for Willy but I have heard that foods low in ash and magnesium are usually good. Since my Storm did become blocked 2 times and had to end up having the PU surgery and he has to be on a special vet diet for life. He's currently eating both wet and dry Royal Canin Urinary S/O formula and this helps prevent both struvite and calicium oxalate crystals. You have to buy it from a vet though and I don't if they'd sell it to you if your cat didn't have a problem yet. Since I have 4 males I decided to feed them all this food too and Pearl is also eating it. Ziggy will eat it eventually when she's a little bit older. They all love it and even though it costs more, it will save me in vet bills in the future. Storm's doing very well with this food.:) I've also heard that cat food that contains fish in it may also cause urinary problems but I'm not sure how accurate this is. Good luck.:)

Uabassoon
11-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I looked up on the ingredients and the food is one of the better ones on the market, but there are much better foods out there. These are the first 5 ingredients in Science Diet Nature's best.

Brewers rice, ground wheat, turkey meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal.

I don't like that turkey is listed as the third ingredient, it really should be the first. Corn is also not digestable to cats and should not be in the top 5.

I feed my clan Blue Spa select, just to give you an idea these are the first 5 ingredients. This food also contains cranberries listed as an ingredient which helps the urinary tract.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Fish Meal, Whole Ground Barley.

Sevaede
11-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Are you looking to switch foods?

I am really sold on Chicken Soup (both for cats and dogs). It has really improved everything for everyone. Their coats are shinier, their doodies are (comparably) smaller, they seem to like it better, and it's more inexpensive than a lot of others. :)

kuhio98
11-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Are you looking to switch foods?

I am really sold on Chicken Soup (both for cats and dogs). It has really improved everything for everyone. Their coats are shinier, their doodies are (comparably) smaller, they seem to like it better, and it's more inexpensive than a lot of others. :)My kitties are happy with their current food, but I would definitely switch if I found it had a "high" ash content. I will check out Chicken Soup and see how it compares.

koxka
11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Four of our cats are male, aged 13, 6, 5 and 4 years old.They eat Royal Canin Fit32 and recently I mix Beauty&Care32,like a 20% +/- of the total.So far no URI here :)

*knocking wood*