PDA

View Full Version : Talking about religion - Round 2!

CathyBogart
11-09-2006, 02:31 PM
So, this thread is for people to learn about each other's religious beliefs and practices. We did this awhile back and it was a big success, so I thought we'd try another one since we've got so many new members now. So, write about your own religion, ask lots of questions, and have fun!

Here's the rules: (kinda common sense, but just in case)
-No fighting!
-If you want to say something that might be taken as critical, even if it's not meant that way, either PM the person or re-word it.

I was going to write up a really long post with pictures but I'm coming down with the flu and my brain is dripping out my ears, so I'm going to try to keep mine short for now.

I am pagan. I'm not Wiccan, but I guess that's the closest "official" religion. I am polytheistic, and I focus on the Celtic panthenon of deities, which has Dagda and Danu ans the "main" God and Goddess.

I celebrate eight holidays throughout the year (which starts on October 31st, btw. ^_^)

First is Yule or the Winter Solstice, which is the holiday Christmas comes from.

Imbolc, at the beginning of February, is a welcoming of Spring, and rebirth.

Ostara or Vernal Equinox is the base from which Easter came. The rabbit, colored eggs, and baby chicks were symbols of fertility, and Ostara is a time for planting and celebrating fertility.

Midsummer solstice is next, followed by Lammas or Lughnasadh, which is a harvest celebration. Mabon is the second celebration of the harvest, though it is also very very similar to Thanksgiving.

The last is Samhain, which most people know as Halloween. Samhain is about remembering the departed, and the hope of rebirth. (I believe in reincarnation) It is also the final of the three harvest festivals.

There's so much more I want to right but right now I need to get to bed. Please feel free to ask questions, I love answering them.

Oh, and because I know it will come up - yes, I do use magick. If anyone is curious, I can write up a sample ritual, though there are a few things I don't generally share. :P

junescrater716
11-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't have a religion so I'm just gonna hang around and find out which one makes most sense to me! Is that okay?

junescrater716
11-09-2006, 02:35 PM
So do you celebrate the same holidays christians and catholics do or are they different?

IRescue452
11-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm Gardnerian Wiccan. I follow the same calandar as above with 13 months and 8 holidays.

I am a high priestess, which means I've gone through all required paths and numerous rituals along with 13+ years of practice. I am ordained by the Universal Life Church. That means I can legally perform wedding, funeral, and other ceremonies.

I know about and follow dozens of gods and goddesses. I believe in the Christian god, but not as my own high power. No god is higher than another. Gods and goddesses are all a manifestations of a single polar entity.

I do believe in absolute evil, but it cannot manifest itself as one being. Not even Satan. I believe the only place that can be considered close to a Christian's description of hell is right here on earth. I believe Satan is a Christian god, because most of what they do in daily or weekly ritual is centered around avoiding his wrath. This follows the definition of worship.

I do not perform "magic". I can do rituals and prayers for certain things. But I cannot type this on a keyboard without using my own fingers. I do practice things using psychic energy such as scrying.

Being Gardnerian, I do not welcome everybody to practice my beliefs. To become Gardnerian takes dedication and years of work. This is very similar to the idea of baptismal at adulthood rather than at birth. I hate when religious groups are used as trends, which is why I expect people to work to become a member.

CathyBogart
11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
So do you celebrate the same holidays christians and catholics do or are they different?

Some of the dates coincide, but the celebratoins are very different. :)

junescrater716
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Ohhhhhh! How so? This is interesting!

IRescue452
11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Our holidays are quite comparable to the later formed Christian holidays. Keep in mind that these will be different slightly for each pagan group.

To start with there is Samhain, two spirit nights celebrated on Oct. 31-Nov. 1. It is known as the last harvest. A time of reflection as the earth says goodbye to god. Celebrations vary from person to person. Most consider this our new year's day.

Then comes Candlemas, Yule, or Winter Solstice. This is celebrated on the winter solstice Dec. 21 or the 23rd of the month Astraea. This holiday is celebrated as the return of the sun god. Symbols are the yule log, evergreen tree, cloved fruit, poinsettias, and holly. Activities are wassailing, caroling, and honoring Kriss Kringle. Spellworkings are for peace, harmony, love, and happiness.

After Candlemas is Imbolc or Oimealg. Celebrated on Feb. 2 or Bridhe 10. You could compare it to groundhog day as we celebrate the first showings of spring. We say a snake emerges to test the weather. Activities for celebration are going for walks and searching for signs of spring, making corn husk dolls, and having bon fires.

Next is Spring Equinox or Ostara. It is celebrated on March 21 or Columbina 2. This is the first true day of spring. The theme of the conception of the goddess was adopted as the Feast of Annunciation by the Christians. Symbols are eggs, bunnies, chicks, violets, daffodils, and pastels. Activities are long walks, planting gardens, and any traditional Easter activities. Easter is the one Christian holiday the borrows almost all pagan traditions.

Next is Beltain, Roodmas, or mayday. It is celebrated on April 30 or May 1, Maia 12 in our calandar. This is a time when the first flowers are gathered in honor or the young gods. Activities are maypole, making flower baskets, and gathering flowers.

After that is Summer Solstice, Midsummer, or Litha. It is celebrated June 21 or Rosea 8th. It is the first harvest of herbs. It coincides with the Christian Feast of St. John. Activities are a rededication to religion.

Next is Lughnasadh or Lammas. It is celebrated on July 31 or August 1, Kerea 20th. This is the first full harvest. Symbols are bread on the altar, apples, grapes, and grains. Activities are a feast, walk and reflect on the bounty and love of the Lord and Lady.

Last is Autumn Equinox or Mabon. It is celebrated on September 21 or Mala 15. It is the second harvest and days and nights are equally balanced. Activities are gathering and making wine. All autumn colors are used as symbols.

junescrater716
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Thats cool! My mom told me that christianity is probably one of the newest form of religions. Thats why it's so similar to most of the other ones?

Giselle
11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Thats cool! My mom told me that christianity is probably one of the newest form of religions. Thats why it's so similar to most of the other ones?
In relation to all of the religions throughout the world, Christianity is not new but I wouldn't call it old either. Many Christian beliefs and rituals stem from Roman/Greek rituals (i.e. Romans called their rituals sacramenta while Catholics call them sacraments). That's part of why Christianty is so similar to some pagan beliefs.

I can't say I follow a religion. I find them all too restrictive and artificial. I believe in a higher power and I believe this higher power doesn't care if I follow a specific religion as long as I help as many beings as I possibly can.

junescrater716
11-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh. I'm starting to get interested more in paganism and wiccan. Those are beginning to interest me.

ramanth
11-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I can't say I follow a religion. I find them all too restrictive and artificial. I believe in a higher power and I believe this higher power doesn't care if I follow a specific religion as long as I help as many beings as I possibly can.

That's a really great way of looking at it Giselle. I feel the same way, though like Cathy, a lot of my beliefs tend to lean towards the Pagan side. :)

Twisterdog
11-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't practice a particular organized religion. I don't believe any religion is any more "right" than any other.

In fact, I rather think that ALL religions are "wrong", simply attempts by humans' puny little minds to catergorize/simplify something we cannot comprehend. I believe in a higher power, but I don't think He/She/It cares at all whether you use the name God, Allah or Dagda.

I think following the Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.) is about all it takes. Whichever organized religion makes one want to do that is great for that peron, IMO. I have always liked Abraham Lincoln's take on religion ... "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."

Sophist
11-10-2006, 02:19 AM
CathyBogart: Do you practice mainly on your own, or do you meet with a group of some sort? If you have a group, do you ever meet except for celebrations/holidays?

IRescue452: Have you ever performed any weddings? Perhaps getting a bit off-topic, just a little curious.

And for both of you... are you irritated a lot by all the goth and wanna-be rebellious kids/college students who claim to be Pagan/Wiccan with no real idea of what they are just to sound edgy and dark? I mean, I can think of at least a solid dozen people I know who proudly and loudly proclaim their 'pagan' status based solely on things learned from Buffy the Vampire Slayer :rolleyes: How do you find serious practicers of your religions to study/celebrate with (assuming you do)?

Well, I may think of some things to share about my on religion later after getting some sleep, but if anyone wants to ask any questions, I am a Latter Day Saint (commonly called 'mormon'). Don't worry about asking questions, trust me, I've just about heard them all :p ;) .

Sevaede
11-10-2006, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE=Sophist]And for both of you... are you irritated a lot by all the goth and wanna-be rebellious kids/college students who claim to be Pagan/Wiccan with no real idea of what they are just to sound edgy and dark? I mean, I can think of at least a solid dozen people I know who proudly and loudly proclaim their 'pagan' status based solely on things learned from Buffy the Vampire Slayer :rolleyes: How do you find serious practicers of your religions to study/celebrate with (assuming you do)?
QUOTE]

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I just had to answer it. heh. :D

Yes. I get irritated with the folks who think that because they are in a darker mindset, or follow a trend, or that is just naturally them to be a "goth", that it goes hand in hand with being a Pagan or/and Wiccan. Or people who proclaim they are because they see it as trendy. Things like that.

IRescue452
11-10-2006, 06:54 AM
I've sat in on weddings (handfasting ceremonies) but I've yet to be the person performing them. I just finished all the pathworkings not long ago.

I am very much irritated by EMO kids who claim to be wiccan or pagan, which is to be expected from a gardnerian. I think they give real pagans a bad name.

I find serious practicioners quite easily. Members of covens, people who show up to public rituals and festivals, even people at school. Its very easy to pick the serious people from the trendy people with just a small conversation. While I don't know many gardnerians outside of one coven, I know several dozen other pagans that I keep in contact with on a regular basis. Its kinda cool if you think about it, pagans of many sects will work together, but you don't see a groups of Catholics, Mormons, and Jehovah's Witness' doing to many things together. I've got Jehovah Witness family members who wouldn't even stand up during a Catholic funeral for their own mother. That's rediculous and childlike if you ask me.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I remember the last thread we had about this.. i thought it was very interesting! and I enjoyed getting to know everyone better !...

I am a christian... I was raised in a baptist church growing up and went to a penticostal (sp) church while i was married... and i attend a baptist church now.

I believe in the Bible !! I believe in one God... who is also the trinity. The father, son and holy ghost.

I believe God sent Jesus to earth of a virgin mother, Mary, and He died on the cross for our sins. I believe in salvation. I could go on and on about what all I believe... but to sum it up... I believe in the Bible... I'm not trying to pin a name on it by saying i go to a baptist church... it was just a reference.

JenBKR
11-10-2006, 08:01 AM
I think it's so great that we are able to do this ;)

I'm with Sara luvs her Tinky - I am also Christian (Wesleyan to be exact, but most Christian religions are pretty much the same). I believe in the Bible, I believe that Jesus died for my sins, and I believe in the Holy Trinity (God in three persons).

I have believed in God most of my life, but it was only within the last few years that I feel as though I became truly Christian. I now life my life for Him. I find comfort in scripture when feeling low....Psalm 91:14-16 - The Lord says "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them. I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation." I love this verse because I can't even begin to tell you how many times God has rescued me. :)

Anita Cholaine
11-10-2006, 08:10 AM
CathyBogart and IRescue, thank you for the information. I didn't know much about pagans and wiccans, so I found your posts really interesting.

I've gone to a Catholic school since kinder garden, so yes, I am a Catholic. I'm not a 'role model' Catholic, though. I do believe in the Holy Trinity, Virgin Mary, the Saints, the Bible and salvation, but I rarely go to church, and I don't do everything that being a Catholic involves, like confession and eucharist.

I feel a bit tired right now to write something long about Catholicism, but feel free to ask questions ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
I have no faith but envy those who do

Karen
11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Its kinda cool if you think about it, pagans of many sects will work together, but you don't see a groups of Catholics, Mormons, and Jehovah's Witness' doing to many things together.

That may be true of the individuals you know, but I have been part of many ecumenical gatherings where peoples of various branches of the Judeo-Christian tradition worked together. Happens all the time!

I am Methodist, by the way, which is a branch of the Protestant church.

JenBKR
11-10-2006, 09:06 AM
That may be true of the individuals you know, but I have been part of many ecumenical gatherings where peoples of various branches of the Judeo-Christian tradition worked together. Happens all the time!

Me too - happens quite a bit actually :)

Argranade
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I would say I'm pretty much just a regulare Christian,

But I belive God, Jesus, The lord ect ... is all one person, It may sound weird that jesus would pray to god him self but that's what I belive and I learned about it threw church.

I also belive god was not born on Christmas becase there's no snow in jerusalem and almost all the photo's I see of the manger have snow and baby lambs which does not make sence because lambs are born in the spring.

In some bible photos I don't see snow but I see lambs, sand, flowers ect .. this I belive and from the baby lambs part I would say he was born in the spring around April, again that's what I think because that's the time of year baby sheep are born NOT in mid december lol.

How did god come to be? .. how was he created? how did this happen? I was taught he came as a thought expressed it was just a unnatural phenomenon that came to be, I also wounder who thought of this thought? lol ... it's kinda confusing for me but all I know is that I belive in god with all my heart and know he's real with in me.

JenBKR
11-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I also belive god was not born on Christmas becase there's no snow in jerusalem and almost all the photo's I see of the manger have snow and baby lambs which does not make sence because lambs are born in the spring.

Actually that is true, the actual date of Jesus' birth is not known, but it is believed to be in springtime. The holiday celebrating His birth (Christmas) was made on Dec. 25th to coincide with a pagan holiday.

smokey the elder
11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm like Twisterdog; I believe that there is a Supreme Being, who manifests him/her/itself in different ways throughout the ages and to different folks. I am not very religious per se, but my beliefs resonate most with polytheistic philosophies. A different aspect of Deity speaks at a different time, as needed. I have come to think that many organized religions attempt to quantify the Infinite, which is of course, impossible! :)

Sophist
11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I have been part of many ecumenical gatherings where peoples of various branches of the Judeo-Christian tradition worked together. Happens all the time!

Agreed... for example, my church makes a lot of efforts to do service projects in conjunction with other religions, and we hold several large choir festivals and other such things were all religions and groups are welcome to join in.

I also have been involved in a lot of activities through my church that are intended to include and benefit the community as a whole, and not just church-goers.

sumbirdy
11-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I am a Christian and believe in the Bible. I believe that Jesus died for my sins. I believe the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one. I don't believe in reincarnation. I think that you only have one life and that's it. I believe that you should only worship God, the Father, and have no other gods before him, as it says in the Bible. Basically I believe everthing the Bible says.

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I am a Catholic and I believe in the Father, Son and Holy Sprit(or ghost). I believe in the saint and the Bible. I also believe in only worshipping God and having no other gods before him. I believe in Heaven, pergatory (sp?) and hell. I'm not gonna go into much detail about it, it's too complicated :p

Oh and about the emo kids a lot of them actually don't practice wicca and everything, at least not with my experience. I know many of them(they used to be happy, I've just known them too long :rolleyes: ) and they just cut themselves and talk about how much life hates them. They wear black clothing and wear emo hairstyles, and if they break up with a bf/gf they want to die. That's my experience with emo's :p

IRescue452
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
What you are describing with the emo kids you know is called Dependent Personality Disorder. Its something that was largely ignored for a while and is showing in today's younger generations. It can be quite serious and only gets worse when people ridicule them. Its no laughing matter. Self-injury is also nothing to take lightly. My girlfriend is a self-injurer. Its a coping mechanism. There are some emo kids who do it just as a trend though, and I hate it because once you get something as a trend, the real problem is passed off as just looking for attention.

NicoleLJ
11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, I may think of some things to share about my on religion later after getting some sleep, but if anyone wants to ask any questions, I am a Latter Day Saint (commonly called 'mormon'). Don't worry about asking questions, trust me, I've just about heard them all :p ;) .

Me too. Nice to see a fellow member on here.
Nicole

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
What you are describing with the emo kids you know is called Dependent Personality Disorder. Its something that was largely ignored for a while and is showing in today's younger generations. It can be quite serious and only gets worse when people ridicule them. Its no laughing matter. Self-injury is also nothing to take lightly. My girlfriend is a self-injurer. Its a coping mechanism. There are some emo kids who do it just as a trend though, and I hate it because once you get something as a trend, the real problem is passed off as just looking for attention.

Well, most of my friends are posers. I'm not someone who shrugs it off or thinks it's funny if it is the real thing. I have had a friend who tried to kill herself in front of my house. Just most of my friends are posers, so it just annoys me most of the time. If they're really trying to hurt themselves, I get alarmed.

junescrater716
11-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Dude Poser and EMO is not a religion! lol :D

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Lol yeah I know. I actually sometimes laugh at the posers, because it's such a ridiculous trend nowadays. Ah well. Punks and emos are kinda alike in their clothing.... sorry random though there:D

wolf_Q
11-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I am from a LDS (mormon) family (I didn't know there were others on this board), but I haven't been to church in at least 10 years. So if anyone has questions, I am not really the one to ask. Before anyone assumes, no we do NOT practice polygamy, and it is not a cult. :rolleyes:

Organized religion just has never worked that well for me. I do believe in God, and that there is "life" after death, I cannot dismiss the existence of the other side, if that makes sense. But I don't believe that being a member of any certain religion is an automatic ticket to heaven, I think being a good person is the most important thing. Those are my beliefs, I'm not speaking for a specific religion, just myself. ;)

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Organized religion just has never worked that well for me. I do believe in God, and that there is "life" after death, I cannot dismiss the existence of the other side, if that makes sense. But I don't believe that being a member of any certain religion is an automatic ticket to heaven, I think being a good person is the most important thing. Those are my beliefs, I'm not speaking for a specific religion, just myself.

I agree with you on the ticket to Heaven thing. A friend of mine is a Baptist and is comvinced that I'm going to hell because I'm Catholic.... I honestly don't find that very reassuring. He also thinks that Mother Theresa went to hell. :eek: Anyways, I believe that good people who have good morals and lead just lives will go to heaven, even if they do not believe in God.

NicoleLJ
11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I am from a LDS (mormon) family (I didn't know there were others on this board), but I haven't been to church in at least 10 years. So if anyone has questions, I am not really the one to ask. Before anyone assumes, no we do NOT practice polygamy, and it is not a cult. :rolleyes:

Organized religion just has never worked that well for me. I do believe in God, and that there is "life" after death, I cannot dismiss the existence of the other side, if that makes sense. But I don't believe that being a member of any certain religion is an automatic ticket to heaven, I think being a good person is the most important thing. Those are my beliefs, I'm not speaking for a specific religion, just myself. ;)

LOL I now live in a mainly mormon comunity so I don't hear the polygamy question that often anymore. But before we moved to Alberta I did. When I lived in Newbrunswick I was the only Mormon in my school and I was regualry beat up because of it. I go to church still but not that often. My disbility makes it hard to leave my home. I am very lucky to have a very kind Bishop in that he allows service dogs to come to church. It is up to teh bishop on whether they can or not.

I defiantley agree with you on your last paragragh.
Nicole

Giselle
11-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Organized religion just has never worked that well for me. I do believe in God, and that there is "life" after death, I cannot dismiss the existence of the other side, if that makes sense. But I don't believe that being a member of any certain religion is an automatic ticket to heaven, I think being a good person is the most important thing.
Yes yes and yes! My words exactly. I do believe that the higher power is up there somewhere and that this power is in our lives/afterlives but I don't believe you must be in an organized religion to live a good life and to help those around you.

Brody's Mum, you must have read my mind. I've always been surrounded by those who have a religion, and each time I hear a person profess their love for God and Jesus, I can't help but envy them. I wish I could feel the same, but I don't and I don't understand why. It's frustrating. :(

cyber-sibes
11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I was raised Catholic, then spent many years attending fundamentalist non-denominational churches. Studied energy and healing techniques, alternative medicine & explored a lot of New Age ideas. Studied A Course in Miracles, which really helped me rethink "religion" and Jesus Christ. Then I found the Unity Church and felt "at home" at last. It grew out of the New Thought movement of the late 19th century, and focuses on a metaphysical interpretation of the Bible. It's not so much a church as a school of thought. (and not to be confused with the Unitarian Church - that's not us) People come to Unity from all kinds of backgrounds and with a wide range of spiritual beliefs... :D "Unitics" are an interesting bunch!

CathyBogart
11-11-2006, 02:27 AM
CathyBogart: Do you practice mainly on your own, or do you meet with a group of some sort? If you have a group, do you ever meet except for celebrations/holidays?

... are you irritated a lot by all the goth and wanna-be rebellious kids/college students who claim to be Pagan/Wiccan with no real idea of what they are just to sound edgy and dark?

I am totally solitary. My experience with covens/circles has involved a lot of bickering and politics, and it really soured me to it, though I would be willing to work with a partner if I met someone who I felt very comfortable with. I have invited my boyfriend to participate in rituals before, he hasn't yet.

Yes, it annoys me when people claim to be wiccan/pagan with no real knowledge of what it involves or desire to be wican/pagan. I discovered Wicca and paganism when I was about 11, and I researched until I was 18 before I felt comfortable calling myself Pagan. It's something that takes a certain level of commitment.

lady_zana
11-11-2006, 08:59 AM

I think the snow in the scenes is mostly so that pictures look like what what we would expect. We have the idea of a "white Christmas" so they put snow in the pictures to make it more "Christmas-y". I have also seen pictures of the Virgin Mary where she is very pale skinned with blue eyes.....while no one knows what she looked like, she probably didn't look like a little white girl ;)

On that note, a few years ago, scientists and historians were working together to find an astrological signs that might have been the Star of Bethleham and I think they decided it would have been in April/May based on the location and descriptions of the star in the Bible.

Christmas is about the time of the Pagan Yule holiday and many of the traditions, such as Christmas Trees and spreading holly around come from the Pagan traditions because when many of the pagans at the time converted, they began a new religion but took parts of their old religion with them.

lady_zana
11-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Yes, it annoys me when people claim to be wiccan/pagan with no real knowledge of what it involves or desire to be wican/pagan. I discovered Wicca and paganism when I was about 11, and I researched until I was 18 before I felt comfortable calling myself Pagan. It's something that takes a certain level of commitment.

When I was younger, I began looking at Wicca and studied it for a long before deciding while it was a beautiful religion, it simply wasn't for me. When I came to college, I was invited by some of my friends to join the Pagan group on campus. Even though I'm not Pagan, I agreed but once I got there, I found out I knew more about Wicca from studying for a while than some of these people did!

I don't understand why someone would want to join a religion they know nothing about, whether it be Wicca, Christianity, Muslim, or any other religion. It's sad that religions are nothing more than fads to some people. Anyone else remember Britney Spears getting a tattoo to celebrate becoming Jewish....even though that's a no-no in the religion? :D

Argranade
11-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Lol yeah I know. I actually sometimes laugh at the posers, because it's such a ridiculous trend nowadays. Ah well. Punks and emos are kinda alike in their clothing.... sorry random though there:D
Trust me there's a BIG difference, and beside's punk is not about the clothes it's about the music and how you react to it and good drum solos lol (For me anyway) ... punk music is like Billy Talent or Greenday .. Emo music is like My Chemical Romance or Good Charolette.

Yes in a way punks and emo's kinda dress the same but there's a pretty good differnce between them.

JenBKR
11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Ok I have to ask...I think I may already know, but what exactly is an emo? :o

Zippy
11-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I believe Satan is a Christian god, because most of what they do in daily or weekly ritual is centered around avoiding his wrath.

I am a Christian and Satan is not god.I am not scared of Satan because God will protect me form Satan.I am scared of God's wrath.
Jesus died on the cross for my sins.

Argranade
11-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Ok I have to ask...I think I may already know, but what exactly is an emo? :o

I personaly don't know cause I'm not one lol, I'm more of a punk.

What I see on the internet is that it's usualy teens who may have a bad life, want to cut there wrists over angry things, wear lots of black, have there hair to the side, they all look the same lol usualy towards other emo's ... some of them stay in groups, I'm pretty sure some of them belive in stuff but I don't want to say what it might be cause I'm realy not sure, I mean in a crowd you can just pick out an emo with ease ... I would say there trying to stand out from people to get attention or act like there bad kids in a way.

Not all emo's are depressed like, some of them just dress like emo's but realy are NOT there just posers wanting to be a wannabe emo lol I dunno why anyone would want to do that .... why not just make up your own style (That's what I do sometimes just for fun lol).

columbine
11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Punks are usually gregarious and like to meet new people, but being nice to an emo will often confuse them into sheer immobility! Not always, though. I'm really talky and friendly with everybody, so I do meet the occasional emo kid (for me it's all one word, "emo kid," since it's a trend that wears off as people grow up) who appreciates being told that her earrings are gorgeous or his boots are really cool.

I'm with Cathy - totally solitary. We did have a leaderless group here in Boston for a while (New Moon - it's still thriving in New York, last I heard) but after a few years we just got people who wanted to show up once a month and get handed an emotional rush and nobody who wanted to present the next month's workshop & ritual, so we folded. Or "set," I guess, that being what the moon does!

I'm "eclectic" - my special Mother and Father are Brighid and Herne, but I'll appeal to just about anyone for help - there's even an angel (Azrael) who helps me with situations where I need to learn to let go. The way I see it, I don't have to understand how the Universe works or explain it to anybody else - I just need to act like the kind of Goddess I'd like to have in charge of my world. (But I should be gracious about lending books. :) )

Love, Columbine

Anita Cholaine
11-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Organized religion just has never worked that well for me. I do believe in God, and that there is "life" after death, I cannot dismiss the existence of the other side, if that makes sense. But I don't believe that being a member of any certain religion is an automatic ticket to heaven, I think being a good person is the most important thing.

I couldn't agree more on this. Actually, one of the reasons why I stopped going to my church, is that I got tired of seeing so many people singing and praying out loud pretending to be the perfect Catholic. I know that lots of them are not good persons outside church. God knows what it is inside your heart better than anyone, no matter your religion.

Sophist
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
In any church there are going to be 'bad' people who seem like they are trying to come across as perfect examples of the sect. Yeah, some are just hypocrites. And some may be troubled people pouring themselves into the religion to try and help themselves gain the strength to cope with and correct the rest of their lives. In my estimation, it is really up to God to decide who falls into which category. I won't let trying to judge their worth determine my own involvement in the religion, or let trying to figure out their personal struggles distract me from trying to fix my own shortcomings. The way I see it, there's no such thing as a perfect Catholic, Jew, Mormon, Pentecostal, Muslim, or anything else. And any time you start expecting anyone else to be more perfect, you probably need to pause and take stock of your own issues.