PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY huge lump on Marshmallow's cheek

sirrahved
11-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I feel like the worst pet owner EVER.

Marshmallow has a HUGE almost ping pong ball size mass/abscess/I have no clue on her cheek. It wasn't there (at least nowhere near this size) as little as a few days ago. She has a scaly spot that I've noticed behind her ear there for at least a year. I scratch it for her regularly. It is swollen way up to it.

If any of you have ANY idea what this could be, please let me know. I hate that these things always are found at unreasonable hours!

I won't be able to sleep, I can tell you that right now. Please respond ASAP.

Thanks

Devon

wolf_Q
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
It could be an absess from a scratch/bite or something like that...I am by no means a vet, but that is what it sounds like to me. I'd definitely have it checked out by the vet ASAP.

Catty1
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Is it soft, or hard? Sensitive to the touch?

If soft (or even not), my GUESS is abcess, especially with a flaky itchy spot that has been scratched for a while. Cats are REALLY clean, but all you need is a bug to get in there, create an infection - and it can't get out of the hard flaky spot.

Oscar gets those flaky spots occasionally - a dab of aloe gel, and it's gone.

Absolutely, get Marshmallow to a vet. If I were in your shoes, and couldn't get to a vet right away, I would try GENTLY rubbing in some olive or canola oil(any good cooking oil - NOT mineral or baby). If there is pus that is backing up, it may loosen the patch enough to start it draining.

If not - it's a pretty straightforward thing for a vet to treat, if it is an abcess! Draining and antibiotics!

I had a cat years ago who got one - when I noticed it, I thought he had a tumour on his back! And it hurt to touch him there!

Good luck with your Marshmallow - I hope it's nothing serious.

HUGS!

sirrahved
11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
She's absolutely going to the vet as soon as I can get her there. I don't have much money, but I'll pull out all the reserves to make her better.

I feel extra bad because I just brought home fosters today. Like a sick cat needs fosters bothering her and stressing her out more!

caseysmom
11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I think it sounds like an absess also, I think a trip to the vet first thing in the morning is probably in order.

caseysmom
11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Call your vet and ask for antibiotics over the phone, you could just go pick them up. They probably won't want to do this but explain about the money.

sirrahved
11-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Is it "normal" for an abscess to get this large? It would help me so much to get through till tomorrow to be fairly sure that it's an abscess.

It feels squishy slightly. Maybe like a very filled water balloon?

Catty1
11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, that is MY experience, I can only speak for myself, I am not a vet. Squishy water filled balloon sums it up for me.

Can you look at the flaky spot? Does there seem to be any pus buildup there?(Don't pick at it unless you know what you are doing!)

Is Marshmallow comfortable? That's the most important thing.

Caseysmom had a good point about getting some starter antibiotics - if your vet knows you well, shouldn't be a problem.

If M isn't scratching at it, good. If so...the oil I mentioned may ease the itching.

Karen
11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Is it warmer than the rest of her?

sirrahved
11-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I feel so much better.

I'm almost certain it's an abscess. It's quite warm and the back of it is sensitive.

My first thought was that she had cancer... and how LONG this must have been growing... how could I have missed it?

Marsha is my best friend... I can't even imagine what I would do if something happened to her.

Thank you, everyone, so much for your help. I couldn't find anything on the net. I was crying hysterically (still am!) and typing in every phrase I could think of with no results. Your fast and knowledgeable responses helped so much!

It seems to be originating from her mouth, not the little scaly spot. It's most swollen on her jawline.

Now if I can just make it until our vet opens.

Karen
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Now if I can just make it until our vet opens.

You can do it mom, I know you can. Remember - you not sleeping is not going to help her at all.

rg_girlca
11-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Okay girl, first off you are going to take a deep breath and try to relax. You spacing out right now is not going to help your Marshmallow.
I am no vet, but from everything that I have read, it does sound like an abcess. Please do not think of yourself as a bad meowmie or feel guilty for not noticing this sooner. With a cat, an abcess can pop up in a matter of hours and yes, they can become huge. We had one stray cat that had one that I swear, could fit in the palm of my hand that was on part of his face and neck.
Marshmallow will be okay until you can get her to the vet tomorrow. If she is no different than what she normally is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know that it is easier said than done, but I have had to deal with a few cats that have had an abcess and they were fine until I got them to a vet.

So please, try to get some sleep and let us know what your vet has to say.

I think you need some PT HUGS right now...................so here's a biggy for you.

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

kimlovescats
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
I would almost bet that it is an abscess from all the scratching she has been doing! Or maybe another kitty scratched her. They fill with pus very quickly! It will most likely be lanced and drained and she will be put on antibiotics. She is most likely running a fever while her body is fighting the infection. It will be rather nasty and oozing once it is opened, but it will feel much better and heal rather quickly. You will probably get some wound care antiseptic to put on it as well!

edit: Oh yes, you probably need to find out why she is scratching so much. If not fleas, it is most likely earmites! ;)

Hugs to you and kitty!
Kim ;)

caseysmom
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
She will be fine untill morning. When I took potter in he has some scabs on the back of his neck and the vet said to watch for absess, he said that cats can absess very easily from wounds from anther cat.

I know when my rb gigi was bitten by another cat and I took her in they started her on antibiotics before she got an absess.

orangemm
11-09-2006, 04:36 AM
That happened to our RB Buzzy; I saw him when I got home from work and it looked like he had a ping pong ball on the side of his face.

Yup, abcess. The vet drained it and he was on antibiotics for a while.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what it is. They can happen quickly.

Let us know!

sirrahved
11-09-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm feeling much better this morning.

We have an appointment @ 10 am.

Last night I remembered that my grandmother had a HUGE abscess. Much bigger than a softball.

Grace
11-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Try to hold a warm, moist washcloth over the area for a few minutes.

sirrahved
11-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Back from the vet.

It was an abscess. They opened it up, gave her a shot of antibiotics, put some antibiotic ointment in it, (I have to do this twice a day) and she'll take pills twice a day.

She's not feeling well at all! We brought home some wet food for her.

catmandu
11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
It Does Sound As Though They May Have Been Playing And Marshmellow May Have Being Scratched, And The Scratch Became Infected.
The Good News Is That Its Easily Treated With Anti Biotics And A Clean Cloth.
Please Dont Worry, And You Certainly Are No Bad Meowmie.
These Things Do Happen.

Logan
11-09-2006, 10:00 AM
My Butter has had this very same thing on the back of his neck and on his cheek. The vet pulled a cat claw out the first time! :eek: (Thank you very much, Mimi :p ) The second time, we didn't know, but once the teeth were ruled out, she treated him with antibiotics and he improved quickly.

I hope you sweet Marsha will be just fine, now. I know you are relieved.

Logna

Karen
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
There, see Mama Devon? It's gonna be all better, after some medicine and some spoiling - the latter of which will be easier than the former. Give her a kiss from me, okay?

Kirsten
11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
My first thought was that it was an abcess, and I'm glad you've got this confirmed! :)

Dino once had one on his cheek from a marten bite, and once the vet had opened it, it healed very fast. Wishing the same to Marshmallow as well! :)

Kirsten

jazzcat
11-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Hope she feels better soon.

kimlovescats
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Glad that's all it was! I was pretty sure! ;) Give some extra kitty kisses for me please! :D