PDA

View Full Version : Puppy shots?

DOGLVR
06-09-2002, 10:20 PM
How old should my puppy (Lilli Sue) be before I have her spayed, 5-6 months??? Also, should I go ahead and have all her shots done..parvo, distemper etc.?

It's gonna be a little guessing game here with the age thing. She was found in a neighbors yard so I have no clue how old she REALLY is.

Fuzzy317
06-10-2002, 12:22 AM
I would say those and many other questions may be best answered by your vet. They can give an idea on age. Vets tend to spay/neuter at different ages. The vet we use, does work for many local rescue groups, so she may spay/neuter early compared to some.

Also, your vet will have ideas on when shots should be given, you may use the vet to give the shots anyway, although my fiancee gives most shots to our pets, but a rabies shots has to be by a vet.

anna_66
06-10-2002, 05:12 AM
I agree with Fuzzy, your vet will tell you about the shots. And spaying, we had Roxey's done at 4 1/2 months. You should have it done before their first heat cycle.

C.C.'s Mom
06-10-2002, 05:19 AM
I go with the others.

We got Cookie from the breeder with her first shots already given and the follow up appointments were done there too.
We had her neutered at 6 months, something that isn't normally done here in Germany, but I insisted.

DOGLVR
06-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I guess asking a vet about her age, shots etc. would be a wise thing to to.

Thanks!:)

pupper-lover
06-10-2002, 04:19 PM
I agree with everyone, to ask your vet these questions. Make her an appointment ASAP. If you don't know the dog's background, she may have other probs, like worms, that need to be taken are of, as well.

The age of maturity for dogs varies with their breed and size. My Addie was a stray pup. We didn't know her exact age, but when puppies have most of their adult teeth in, it's time to get them fixed. Think of puppy maturity like people maturity. When they lose their front teeth, the are in kindergarten. When they lose their back teeth, they are in Jr. High. You know what happens to kids in Jr. High.

Congrats on the new addition to your family!:D

manda99
06-10-2002, 04:27 PM
When they lose their front teeth, the are in kindergarten. When they lose their back teeth, they are in Jr. High. You know what happens to kids in Jr. High.

ha ha. That's funny - but a good way to look at it, I suppose!
I haven't found any puppy teef around yet...

DOGLVR
06-11-2002, 07:50 PM
I think their baby teeth are immedietly replaced with their "grown up teeth. I do undersand what you're saying though. My Lilli Sue still has her baby teeth and puppy breath sooo, I'm guessing she's still pretty young.:D

I think I will get her into the vet within the next couple weeks though, after we get our kittens (My Cali Jean had a liter)HOMES. I can only do so much at a time..lol.

Thanks for the replys!

ps
can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with trying to put a pic here with my posts?? It shows a red X and that's it. I've went over it and over it and still can't get it. I've done the url thingy too. :confused:

pupper-lover
06-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DOGLVR

ps
can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with trying to put a pic here with my posts?? It shows a red X and that's it. I've went over it and over it and still can't get it. I've done the url thingy too. :confused:

Since all I can see is an X. It's kind of hard to help. I have no idea of your knowledge of posting pics, so don't be insulted if these are no-brainers to you. Here are some possiblities:

1) The photo must be linked to the internet, not just your computer. I used Image Station and put my pics in an album.

2) You must have [/IMG] at the end and [IMG] at the beginning of the link.

3) The link must be valid. I was unsuccessfully trying to post pics from my down loaded images in Image Station, until I realized they had to be in an album to copy a vaild link.

Have you successfully posted pics before? Is it just this one in particular that is giving you trouble? I'm a bit of a novice at this, but if I can help, I will. Good luck!:)

DOGLVR
06-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks a bunch for trying to help me.

I have some pics in an album on Webshots.com. I will try to do it from there. If all else fails, I will go to the website you're talking about and see what I can do.

Thank you for the help and have a nice day!