PDA

View Full Version : BW Feral Kitty

dukedogsmom
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
We've been calling this kitty BW for black and white. However, I decided those initials should stand for a name so I've named him Beauregard Whittaker. He has made so much progress with us! He still won't let us pet him, though one day I did pet his back as he was walking away from me. He just did a little hop run away from me but didn't go far. He acts like he wants to be petted so badly. He comes to us with his tail up, meowing like crazy. He and Duke are so cute together. Beauregard will just rub on Duke. I wish he would let us pet him! He's so scared and is camera shy. Very hard to get good pics of him. One day I just sat on the stoop and took a few pics. He didn't run, for once. So, here is that pic. I wish he would be an inside cat. He is such a sweetie.

http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/bwkitty1.jpg

K & L
11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
It sounds like with time this cat will eventually become tame enough to pet. Just keep trying and let him come to you at his own pace. Offer him some really good food each time you see him and I bet you win him over in no time.

Laura's Babies
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Keep at it, he is willing! It will just take awhile for him to realize you are not going to throw rocks or sticks at him or pull his tail... He IS a stunning boy and would make a fine lap cat....

caseysmom
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
What a handsome boy Val.

I noticed on your siggie it says get well Brian...I don't know if I missed something or if it is private but I hope Brian is okay.

catmandu
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Beauregard Whittaker is being cautious, as he may have had rough treatment from other people.
But once he realizes that you want to be his pal, then he will come in where its safe.
This has happened so many times at the Found Cat Hotel , it took a long time to tame Scrappy 2.

Killearn Kitties
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Val, he is gorgous! I am sure he wants to be your cat! Has he been coming around for a while?

dukedogsmom
11-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Val, he is gorgous! I am sure he wants to be your cat! Has he been coming around for a while?
He's been coming around a long time! I guess almost a year. It's taken this long for him to make progress. Maybe next year I'll be posting pics of him sitting on my bed :)

rg_girlca
11-08-2006, 04:59 PM
What a handsome boy he is. Like others have said, I'm sure in time you will win this boy over. I love his markings and his name. :D

Killearn Kitties
11-08-2006, 05:07 PM
What a sweetheart! I look forward to seeing those pictures of him on your bed! :D

kt_luvs_kitties
11-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Beauregard Whittaker is HANDSOME! I love when they get that big fat face (from being unneutered). Hopefully you can get him soon and fix him, and he can live out his life in a wonderful PT house. Thank you for helping him. *HUGS* and good luck!

Freedom
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
What a stunning name for a stunning fella!

I don't know where you live; is winter weather approaching? Would you consider trapping him, vetting him, and then keeping him inside?

If you keep up the efforts, he will come along and let you pet him and get more trusting. I too look forward to pics of him on the bed!

krazyaboutkatz
11-09-2006, 12:24 AM
He sure is handsome. I'm sure that in time he'll finally allow you pet him.:)

dukedogsmom
11-26-2006, 07:31 PM
This past Friday when it was really cold, I decided to put his food in the garage and see if he would go in there. It took about ten minutes but he walked in and I shut the door! So, now he's been in there but isn't very happy. I've got to get him tame enough to get him in the carrier so I can take him to the vet to get the onceover and get spayed. Then, he'll be an inside cat. I know it will be hard for him at first but I want him to have a good, safe life. Any tips and how to make him trust me more? He was getting to where he would rub up against my hand if I held it still. Now, he's just coming out of hiding. He's such a cutie.

Cinder & Smoke
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
... He walked in and I shut the door!
So, now he's been in there but isn't very happy.

... Get him in the carrier so I can take him to the vet
to get the onceover and get spayed.

Then, he'll be an inside cat.

Sooo, that's the PLAN, huh?

Have you discussed this with Bo?
Don't be too uppyset when he voices a bit of reluctance to follow da Plan! :rolleyes:

Stuffin him into the Porta-Prison should really firm up your relationship with him!
I'll bet he speaks well of you to the White Coats. :p

Best be On GUard when you get him back HOME - he's prolly going to do his best
to practice Door Darting - and he might be tempted to Keep on Goin if he makes it out! :(
You'll need some time INside with him before he starts to loose his Feral instincts.

Best of Luck with the Plan!
I'd suggest that you wear Gloves for the Kat Stuffin inna Crate event!
;)

/s/ Phred

heidiv
11-26-2006, 08:23 PM
How exciting!!! You will have him tame in no time. Its sounds like he is falling for you as fast as you have fallen for him. I am so happy about this!! There isn't many times that people find a stray and actually take the time to get the kitty to trust. You are a great person for doing this. Your NEW kitty will show you in love and affection how much it thanks you for saving its life!! Congradulations!

catcrazylady
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
WOW! He is gorgeous! It sounds like you are doing everything right. Let him do it at his own pace because if you force too much he will pull away. Keep offering canned food or something he likes whenever he gets close to you. Eventually he will associate you with kindness and soon to follow....love and tenderness. He sure will be worth the effort. :)

kimlovescats
11-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Just sit quietly in the garage when you put his food out and maybe a couple of other times during the day. Talk softly to him, and eventually he will most likely start coming closer and closer. This is how we did my feral girl, Bonnie! Now she is a full-time indoor girl and one of my biggest lap kitties! :D

rg_girlca
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Just sit quietly in the garage when you put his food out and maybe a couple of other times during the day. Talk softly to him, and eventually he will most likely start coming closer and closer.

Boy, two great minds think alike. :D I was just going to type the same thing.

Good luck with this beauty. I pray that everything will work out for the both of you in the end. :)

Denyce
11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Ditto the above posts. I have always found that food and a string or feather toy work wonders in gaining trust. Also if it is warm enough for you to take in a book or something and just read quietly while not really paying attention to Bo he will come closer to investigate on his terms.

Denyce

dukedogsmom
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
He was so loveable tonight! I stayed out there with him while he ate his canned cat food. I held the dish for him. He purred and purred and gave me lots of head bumpies and let me pet his back and give him scritches. I'm thinking in a few days he might be ready for me to pick him up but not sure. I just don't want to rush him. I think he's going to make a great house kitty. He's so lovey dovey. You should have heard those loud purrs. I don't need to wait too long, though, because he's got a couple of ticks on him. On my next days off, I'm going to put his canned food in the cat carrier. If I feed him early enough, I can get him to the vet. I'll call them before I arrange it, though.

dukedogsmom
11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to attempt to corral this kitty in the portaprison (as Phred calls it) and get him to the white coats to get snipped and the onceover. He's got a few ticks on him that need to be removed. I was also kind of worried today because I saw blood in his stool. I know that's not good. I hope it's nothing serious. He is such a sweetheart! We have really bonded. He just purrs so loudly for me and gives me lots of head bumpies.

rg_girlca
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
AAAWWWWW how nice that he is starting to bond with you.
Wishing you all the best of luck that you are able to corral this gorgeous boy and get him to the vets without too much complaining from him.

Prayers on the way that he doesn't have anything serious.

K & L
11-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Good job!!! Can't wait to read how this all turns out.

krazyaboutkatz
11-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I hope that everything goes well and that he gets a clean bill of health.:) I'll be looking for updates.

Lizzie
11-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Congratulations on getting so far with Beauregard and I hope all goes well tomorrow. Will you have some help in holding the carrier while you get him in? Perhaps you already do this but when I have a difficult cat to get into a carrier, I put it on end so the cat is gently dropped in hind end first. A few have managed to hang onto the edge and I've had to wrestle them back, but most are so shocked that they just slide in.

Blood in the stool for all the ferals and strays I've dealt with have always meant giardia; I hope that's all it is for Beau.

dukedogsmom
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh my! Did I have one angry kitty when that cell door closed. He even hissed at me and he's never done that before. On the way to the white coats, I was treated with the wonderful scent of eu de tom cat. I had to roll down the windows. And, he's got that loud tom cat meow. I swear he's part Siamese. So now he's at the vet. He'll get snipped tomorrow morning. I hope he's going to adjust well to all these changes. I think he's going to enjoy being a spoiled inside cat. He sure has shown me a lot of loving already.

Killearn Kitties
11-30-2006, 04:01 PM
He sounds a wonderful boy! I hope it all goes well at the vet's for him. He deserves a loving home. :D

CathyBogart
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Congratulations on successfully trapping BW. :) He's going to be very happy with you!

Lizzie
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh my! Did I have one angry kitty when that cell door closed. He even hissed at me and he's never done that before. On the way to the white coats, I was treated with the wonderful scent of eu de tom cat. I had to roll down the windows. And, he's got that loud tom cat meow. I swear he's part Siamese. So now he's at the vet. He'll get snipped tomorrow morning. I hope he's going to adjust well to all these changes. I think he's going to enjoy being a spoiled inside cat. He sure has shown me a lot of loving already.

Oh, the sweet scent of success. :D His pee will pong for some weeks afterwards, of course, but you shoulnd't have to deal with such an odiferous response again. He's going to be one very happy cat, spoiled by you after someone obviously threw him away when he was young. I scooped up a stray intact tom, complete with lots of battle wounds, a few years ago and he's also got that compact, sturdy body and full face look - a great cat to cuddle on a cold night.

krazyaboutkatz
11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Val, I'm glad that you were able to get him to the vets and I hope that his neutering goes well.:) I'm sure that this will make him calm down quite a bit. I hope that Doogie and Molly will like him. Please continue to keep us updated.

dukedogsmom
12-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't know how much more I can take. He won't be coming home. He's tested positivie for feline aids. No one at the vet's office could take him so he's being put to sleep. I still cry daily because of Duke and now this. I'm ready for this year to be gone.

Lizzie
12-01-2006, 01:39 PM
This is not necessary. FIV is only transmittable through a serious bite wound. I have FIV+ cats with kittens and elderly cats, it's fine. I'm sorry that this was put to you in a way that made it sound so hopeless. Is it too late? There are rescues that take FIV+ cats. Where are you? I truly don't want to make you feel worse but I feel terrible that this cat is being euthanized when he could lead a long and healthy life.