PDA

View Full Version : How to Groom?

Sevaede
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Ahhh! I bought an Oster clipper (looks like something my husband trims his goatee with :D ) and some attachments and a little sample of oil from a garage sale a few months ago (nearly a year). I need and want to learn how to use it but have pretty much no knowledge of grooming of any critter whatsoever.

So, hints? Tips? Videos? Books? I would like to learn to do this so I can groom any ragamuffin lookin' fosters (or do it for the rescues I volunteer for)! :D

borzoimom
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Ahhh! I bought an Oster clipper (looks like something my husband trims his goatee with :D ) and some attachments and a little sample of oil from a garage sale a few months ago (nearly a year). I need and want to learn how to use it but have pretty much no knowledge of grooming of any critter whatsoever.

So, hints? Tips? Videos? Books? I would like to learn to do this so I can groom any ragamuffin lookin' fosters (or do it for the rescues I volunteer for)! :D
There was a great book called " Basic dog grooming" that showed how to tell the blades, general cuts etc. Let me see if I can find the publisher, but sold it in my pet stores years ago, and even saw it at Waldon books a few years back..

wolf_Q
11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Does this pair of clippers have detachable blades (the actual metal blade comes off of the clippers..) or is it just the kind with one blade and you put snap on plastic combs to lengthen the cut?

My job is a pet groomer, but its hard to offer advice when I don't know what type of dog you are grooming, or what type of clippers they are exactly. If they are not the type with detachable blades, they aren't really worth having in my opinion (sorry :o ).

I have this (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=630&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=22&iSubSubCat=23&iProductID=630) book, its quite good.

Muddy4paws
11-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Its really not as easy as it looks, If your after doing styles I would really suggest seeing a groomer in person and discussing if you can watch them a few times. I would say one thing. if you do try yourself ALWAYS stretch the skin on the dogs neck, the easiest way is to lift the muzzle up so their nose is facing the ceiling and make sure there is no lose skin because if its there you will cut them and it will bleed alot! I cant think of what its called but I know someone that gave up grooming after 4 years because they didnt stretch the skin far enough and they slit the dogs throat and it caught some kind of vein ( I cant think of what its called? ) and unfortunatly the dog lost too much blood :( Also you need to be aware that unless the dog is used to clippers they will squirm to get away from them and it can be very difficult! I know it sound simple but research how to hold a clipper and how to look after the blades and changing them properly. I use that type of clipper at work and its quite big but it gets the job done very well :)

Sevaede
11-15-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I know a dog squirms. What do I expect them to do? Heh. :D

It is just the kind with the combs. So, I am just going to toss it and buy another set.

Spanky is a long haired Chihuahua and I know that some can get awfully fuzzy so I just want to be able to keep her hair nice. We're trying to get into a position to do agility. She's gotta stay nice lookin' to impress the little Chis! :D