PDA

View Full Version : what do u think??

Breezybabe01
11-27-2000, 05:27 PM
My brother just recently died, and my dog has been acting like, I know something is going on here. I always consider her human, and as far as i'm concerned, she knows what happened. What do you think? Do you think dogs know when someone has died? Please post your answer!!

carrie
11-27-2000, 05:49 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to face the death of a family member, especially when it is "out of time". My thoughts are with you.

As for your dog....The relationship between you and the dog would have to be very poor indeed for your dog to not notice! This is obviously not the case as you have noticed the change in behaviour. We don't realise how many signals we give our dogs all the time about the mood we are in, what we are feeling, if we are feeling unwell ( the dog will often know before you do!), if we are hungry, etc. etc. Your dog will certainly pick up on your emotional state and know how you are feeling - it's one of the main reasons dog ownership has survived past the "we kept dogs because they helped to feed us" phase. They are not called man's best friend for nothing. Accept the empathy your dog offers, and the comfort - you are not imagining it.

Smilla
11-27-2000, 06:09 PM
Breezy,

I wanted to voice as well that I'm very sorry about your loss. I'm glad your dog is there to help comfort you.

All of our dogs have seemed to know when "something was up", though we did have one dog, Rusti, who seemed to know how we were feeling even before we did. It really was amazing.

My thoughts are with you as well.

ownerof3dogs
11-27-2000, 07:56 PM
I most definately think that dogs know when someone has died.
I have read and heard many stories about dogs that have knowed when someone has died before anyone else. they showed wierd behavior
Also in a wolf pack when a member hs died the wolves act all mornful and don't play for a few days and howl almost contintly

ktreva52
11-28-2000, 07:06 PM
Breezy: My condolences on the loss of your brother. You are no doubt giving off mournful vibes and the dog is picking up on that. She is very aware of when you are thinking about your brother and his passing and she wants to let you know that she's there for you. You are her dearest and best friend and she loves you very much. Give her a hug and feel free to cry into her hairy shoulder -- she'll be fine with it and you will get some comfort from the release.

Sudilar
11-28-2000, 09:01 PM
Very, very sorry for your great loss. Yes, I think dogs can sense many things. Let your dog help comfort you through this terrible sadness. That's what those little angels are here for!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

tatsxxx11
11-29-2000, 02:44 PM
Dearest Breezy, I am so, so sorry and sad to hear of the passing of your brother. Please know that we all care for you and can feel for your loss. Your dog is your best friend; she feels for you and senses your feelings like any best friend would. I am certain she is sad and feeling the loss of your brother too, in her own very special way. I know she wants to be there for you. Let her grieve with you, but more importantly, let her comfort you. Our animal family is so special; they allow us to act out and feel our emotions without judgement or criticism. Any time of day or night, in any way. Turn to her. She wants to help you. She loves you. So do we.
Sandra