PDA

View Full Version : how much would it cost???

angelbow20
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
How much does hip surgery cost for a golden retriever? i swear my one golden seems to have hip problems because she walks with her right leg in and stuff. i was wondering what costs would be around if she ever need surgery?

Karen
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Only a veterinarian would be able to tell you for sure. It depends on what kind of surgery, and many other factors. The sooner you get her diagnosed, the better off you will be.

binka_nugget
11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
It really depends.. it's best to ask your vet. I recently learned that Kai's hips are so bad that a total hip replacement might be needed in the future. The number $5000 came up a couple times in our conversation.. so it's definitely not a cheap surgury. But then again, Kai's hips are extremely bad.. the vet commented on how unusual it was to see hips in such bad shape, so hopefully your girls' hips won't require surgury.

angelbow20
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
WOW thats ALOT of money, i could never afford that right now and what sucks is that my vet clinic does not take any payments at all! even though i've been there alot and take my animals more than normal people, i take them even if they sneeze or something, i never thought it would be that expensive though!

Karen
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
But it could be something very different for you, with your dog. You NEED to see your vet, with your dog. Asking us will do you no good. We live in different areas, and fees are different, never mind you have no idea what her problem technically is! Hip dysplaysia is far different than a luxating patella, than a strained muscle than ...

angelbow20
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah well when i get paid im planning on taking her to the vets, Im def. taking her this month to get checked even though she is up to date with everything i just wanted ideas on how much it might cost if it is hip problems which i really hope its nothing big at all!

binka_nugget
11-07-2006, 11:33 PM
It's probably no biggie. :) The $5000 is pretty much the worst case senario for us.. I can't imagine very many dogs would actually need a total hip replacement. Could be mild hip dysplasia that might only require cheap meds or even just a muscle she pulled. :)

borzoimom
11-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Only a veterinarian would be able to tell you for sure. It depends on what kind of surgery, and many other factors. The sooner you get her diagnosed, the better off you will be.
** also ask your vet if you have a local teaching hospital. They are actually very good, and the rate is really reduced. With the top doctors as teachers, and always on hand, this might be another option. When I did rescue for shepherds, a big local hospital did the surgeries ( usually hips I am afraid) for almost nothing.