PDA

View Full Version : Laptop, Notebook...What kind is the best?

anna_66
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Mark and I are going to be getting a new laptop/notebook (what's the difference?) and would like to know what to look for in a new one.
I have no idea of what kind we want, the only thing I know for sure is we want one with a DVD/CD burner and preferably one reasonably priced. Know any good sites to search?

Any suggestions anyone?

What kind do you have & do you like it?

dukedogsmom
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I want one so bad! I would get a Sony Vaio but they're kind of expensive. And, I really don't know the difference between a laptop and a notebook.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers&CP=sony_hm_nav_elec_nbkshop

borzoimom
11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Well I like my laptop. Its the table in the middle of the great room, and more advanced than a notebook, but that is my opinion..

G535
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_108495_choose-laptop-notebook.html

That saves me a lot of typing, should be a lot to learn there.

I have never had any problems with IBM ThinkPads.

trayi52
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1710 Laptop, with a 17" screen, and I just love it!

Willie :)

captain
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Anna,

I always recommend Dell - because I have never had an issue with it, you can buy online, and they offer great support. (well in Australia they do!)

Dell Website - Notebooks (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=au&l=en&s=dhs)

I have an old Dell - about 7 years old, and it goes and goes

I also have an 2 x IBM laptops - and have replaced the motherboard in one of 3 times - other than that it works a treat :D

BitsyNaceyDog
11-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I'd HIGHLY reccommed a MacBook (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A4791B5D&nclm=MacBook).

prechrswife
11-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with KBlaix. We have a MacBook, and it is great. If you have a lot of software that you need to run on Windows, there are a couple of different ways to run Windows on a MacBook. We are primarily a Mac household and use mostly OSX, but we also have Boot Camp and Windows XP for those times when we really need to use Windows software.

Also, we bought ours refurbished directly from Apple and were able to get the mid-range version for the low-end price. You would really never know it was a refurb.

Logan
11-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Anna, I currently have a Toshiba laptop that I love. It has a 17" screen and the keyboard is "friendly" if you know what I mean. Definitely test the keyboard when you shop because some of them are awkward and uncomfortable. I always hook up an external mouse when I use it because I don't like the touchscreen, personally.

Having said that about the Toshiba, I have also heard that Gateway's computer products have improved tremendously. I have a Gateway desktop in my office and I like it.

Everyone's experience is different. My only problem laptop that I have had in the past was a Dell! It had to be replaced when it was six months old! Our Dell desktop that we bought for the children has been horrible, too! LOL!!

Good luck and Happy Shopping! :)

Logan

buckner
11-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Obviously, the more you're willing to spend, the better labtop you can get. I believe the main difference between a notebook and a laptop is that a notebook is REALLY thin, seriously like the size of an actual notebook.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505. I bought it because I had a few requirements, but I wanted something not $2000. This one met all the requirements, and it was only about $800. I know a ton of people with this one and we all love it. But, some people hate Dell. If you have the money, I would suggest a MacBook or an IBM Thinkpad. My dad wanted me to have a Thinkpad, but there was a huge difference in price. Plus, I have a Dell desktop at home that I love, so I decided not to switch brands.

anna_66
11-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone:)

Anyone else???

Suki Wingy
11-08-2006, 03:59 PM
In my experience, If you want one pre set up, get a mac. If you want a cheap one, get a pc. I've had LOTS of problems with Dells in my family, just to let you know. It's kinda you get what you pay for.

captain
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Anna,

As I said, I have had no issues with Dell, some issues with IBM, however, I know people who have Toshibas and had no issues. Of course Mac's are great - and many of my friends have a PC and a Mac notebook :D

Personal preference really.
Have a look at some - the specs are around the same, but make sure you like the keyboard (quite right there Logan!)

k9krazee
11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron B130...I got it because it met the minimum requirements for school and was on sale at the time. I wouldn't recommend it though, lol. I've only had it for about 3 months and the backspace key fell/broke off this morning. :rolleyes: