PDA

View Full Version : Restricted/Banned breeds: Borzoi, St. Bernard, Great Dane, Malamutes

lovingpaws
11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
This info concerns breed bans. We all need to be involved in stopping them & working toward solutions, before it gets ridiculous, ohhhh too late. The breeds listed below are already banned or restricted. Of course many of the same are banned around the world. Do you agree?

Also check this Stop the Dog Slaughter Laws:
http://network.bestfriends.org/innocentdogs/news/9021.html
Best friends is starting a campaign after just finishing their "dangerous dogs" summit in Denver.

American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, bull terrier — Monticello, Centerville, Alburnett and Hiawatha, Iowa; Grandview, Mo.; North Little Rock, Ark.; two cities in Kentucky and Washington; Lincoln, N.D. Akita — Ulyssas, Kan Alaskan malamutes — Fairfield, Iowa. American bulldog — North Little Rock, Ark.; Aurora, Colo.; Akron, Ohio. Belgian malinois— Fairfield, Iowa. Boerboels — Fairfield, Iowa. Cane Corso — Aurora, Colo. Chow chow — Travelers Rest, S.C.; Newport, R.I.; Lynnville, Tenn. Doberman pinscher — Fairfield, Iowa; Sisston, S.D.; Westfield, Ill; Travelers Rest, S.C.; Lynnville, Tenn.; Buffalo Center, Iowa. Dogo Argentino — Aurora, Colo. English mastiffs — Yale, Iowa. Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila and Brazilian mastiff) — Aurora, Colo. German shepherd — Fairfield, Iowa; Lynnville, Tenn. Great Dane :eek: — Fairfield, Iowa. Irish wolfhound — Fairfield, Iowa. Mastiffs — Fairfield, Iowa. Malamutes — Fairfield, Iowa. Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca de Bou) — Aurora, Colo. Presa Canario — Lanett, Ala.; Aurora, Colo. Rottweiler — North Little Rock, Ark.; Buffalo Grove, Ill.; Fairfield, Conrad, Lake Mills and Lockridge, Iowa; Walkerton, Ind.; Inman, Kan.; Carl Junction and Salisbury, Mo.; Binghamton, N.Y.; Velva, N.D.; Pawtuckett, R.I.; Travelers Rest, S.C.; Lynnville, Tenn.; Smithville, Utah; Neah Bay, Wash.; Buffalo Center, Iowa. Scottish deerhound — Fairfield, Iowa. Shar pei — Smithfield, Utah. Siberian huskies — Fairfield, Iowa. Tosa Inu — Aurora, Colo., and the wolf-hybrid.

If your dog weighs more than 100 pounds, he may be affected by size restrictions. For example, in Fairfield, Iowa, the following are considered restricted breeds: Akbash, Anatolian shepherd, Alapaha blue blood bulldog, Borzoi , bull mastiff, Dogue de Bordeauxs, Estrela mountain dog, Great Pyrenees, Italian mastiff, Komondor , Kangal dog, Kuvasz [/B], Leonberger, Neopolitan mastiff, Newfoundland :eek: , Otterhound, St. Bernard :eek: and the Spanish mastiff.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640199376,00.html

Giselle
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm guessing not very many people live in Fairfield, Iowa, huh? ;)

lovingpaws
11-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Who'd want to - but here's how they promo it:

Well check the promo - ( for todays Pro "green" & health wise it's inviting, & it's cosmopolitan too!) ;) But seriously look at the states were bans are in effect Arkansas, North Carolina, Tenn, etc...who'd of thought 5 years ago, and then so called "bully breeds" but Great Danes, GSD's, Deerhounds....

Your image of southeast Iowa probably doesn’t include the world’s premier ayurvedic health spa, more restaurants per capita than San Francisco or 25 art galleries on the downtown square, but these are just some of the many features of Fairfield, a surprisingly sustainable and cosmopolitan town.

Since 1971, Fairfield has been home to Maharishi University of Management, founded by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. What began as an effort to teach India’s ancient principles of health and peace to Americans has spread into many aspects of life in the community. Fairfield hosts an Eco-Fair every year, and has the most homes with solar energy or other green building features in Iowa. The county has the most acres of organic cultivation in the state. It also has earned praise for its entrepreneurial spirit — many small businesses thrive there.
http://www.fairfieldiowa.com/

Sevaede
11-07-2006, 02:03 AM

Haha! That was my first thought, as well! :D

lovingpaws
11-07-2006, 03:10 AM
:rolleyes: It's more than just Fairfield and several years ago it was a pit bull ban in Colorado. Now add cities in states below, and it's NOT only pit bulls. I didn't realize all the bans till I read it. I thought Colorado & pitties. But many breeds are covered, did you check the list. It surprised me, and I think we need to get aboard here. I hope people won't be silent.

Iowa, Arkansas, Kentucky, Washington, North Dakota, Colorado, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Illinois Alaska, Indiana, Inman, Kansas, New York, South Carolina, Tennasee, Utah, Missouri

First they came after the pit bulls
I said nothing, I don't have a pit bull
Then they came after the German Shepards,
I said nothing, I don't have a German Shepard,
Then they came after the Great Danes, St. Bernards, Borzoi
I didn't speak up, I don't have those
Then they came for my breed, my Lab, Border Collie, terrier
who I got from a shelter, discarded by it's previous owner, who did not match the breed
Then no one spoke for me

chocolatepuppy
11-07-2006, 05:10 AM
First they came after the pit bulls
I said nothing, I don't have a pit bull
Then they came after the German Shepards,
I said nothing, I don't have a German Shepard,
Then they came after the Great Danes, St. Bernards, Borzoi
I didn't speak up, I don't have those
Then they came for my breed, my Lab, Border Collie, terrier
who I got from a shelter, discarded by it's previous owner, who did not match the breed
Then no one spoke for me

something for ALL dog owners to think about...
lovingpaws, it's German 'Shepherd'

borzoimom
11-07-2006, 06:56 AM
I saw this before ( posted by you lovingpaws... thank you!) and this just cracks me up. Then I looked up Fairfield Iowa and it has a whopping population of like 9,800 people ( or something like that..) .. I mean- our little town has more people than that. .. The real joke here- two of mine are over 100 pounds ( the males) the females are in the 90's- soooooooooo I could keep the females if i moved there( NOTTT!!) BUT not the males.. And one of each is a therapy dog, invited by the Therapy organization so they could have really big dogs for the kids to see, and this just cracks me up.
My borzois are calmer than most small breeds. They also dont bark ( except hottie at the TV..) . I really dont even understand the size limit in apartments either. Maybe its close quarters- I dont know. All my dogs are inside dogs- .
So be warned if you are planning on moving- Fairfield is not dog friendly. ( I wonder if you can have a horse in that county??? I mean there is rural areas- does a horse or pony qualify.. what about a pig?) - okay- I will stop now.. lol

Lori Jordan
11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow that is crazy,Of all breeds they say Newfoundlands,i own one and she is the most layed back dog around,why are people doing this it is not fair.

lute
11-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Fairfield would be the last place for me! :eek: they are bannng breeds because they are over 100lbs? that's rediculous! i'm just shocked that breeds like the great dane, newfie, and irish wolfhound where on the list.

Freedom
11-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Sigh. So many times it comes down to people who don't understand what it means to own a dog, who don't appreciate the responsibility they are taking on. It is not the dogs who have problems.

Rockport, Maine: it is illegal to have a dog anywhere on Main Street. Doesn't matter the breed, or size, doesn't matter if it is on leash. Rockport is a tourist place and I always took my dog on vacation with me. Got out of the car, put Samantha on leash, put money in the parking meter, took 2 steps, AND GOT A TICKET FOR HAVING A DOG ON MAIN ST. It was like the officer was just watching and waiting for me to fill the meter before he got rid of us! Man, I got out of town FAST!

Does anyone know, do the French still permit dogs everywhere, even in the supermarkets? I was there in 1990, and was fascinated - most of the dogs weren't even on a leash! They just heeled with master, nodded to passing dogs. No wonder the Europeans think we are wild, I thought; our dogs could never do that! (Well, I think mine may have been able to, but you get the picture.)

IRescue452
11-07-2006, 08:40 AM
I say we do like Italy and restrict just about ALL breeds. Proper owners for every dog!!

Husky15
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I heard that they actually banned the Pembroke Corgi in Italy. Watch out for them Corgies, they'll give you a bruise on your ankle, and you don't want that :rolleyes:.

Banning is so stupid. Next it'll be the Chihuahua.

borzoimom
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
husky15- may I ask you something? Is that a wolf pup or a coyote pup in your beautiful picture? I love that photo!

dappledoxie
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I can just see Tucker like a little football player taking someone down. (NOT) Geeze, they will be banning Chi's next they way they're doing things in some places. I can't believe it. It's just awful :(

CountryWolf07
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Siberian Huskies?!?!?! That's just ridicilous. My husky wouldn't harm a soul.

Glacier
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Siberian Huskies?!?!?! That's just ridicilous. My husky wouldn't harm a soul.

Huskies are on many banned breed lists. Insurance companies in particular often refuse to insure homeowners with Huskies. The problem is that on bite stat lists "huskies" are in the top ten just about every time. Not Siberians, but generic husky--any prick eared dog with a curled tail is classed as a husky.

lizbud
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
:rolleyes: It's more than just Fairfield and several years ago it was a pit bull ban in Colorado. Now add cities in states below, and it's NOT only pit bulls. I didn't realize all the bans till I read it. I thought Colorado & pitties. But many breeds are covered, did you check the list. It surprised me, and I think we need to get aboard here. I hope people won't be silent.

Iowa, Arkansas, Kentucky, Washington, North Dakota, Colorado, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Illinois Alaska, Indiana, Inman, Kansas, New York, South Carolina, Tennasee, Utah, Missouri

There is no ban on Pit Bulls in Indiana.

sirrahved
11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We have a Pit Bull ban. I am all for it.

Do I think all Pits are mean? No. I've met lovely Pit Bulls. So why am I for it? Doesn't that make me terrible?

I am all for the ban for the protection of the DOGS. We have had in the past a HUGE fighting ring in Fort Wayne. It's still going on, but the numbers have dropped because of this ban.

Peoples' dogs were being stolen from their yards if they were Pit Bulls... just to be used as bait dogs. Sweet, kind dogs that were bred to be COMPANIONS were frequently being snatched up.

This ban makes it easier to identify fighters and prosecute them, as well as keep people safe from the fighting dogs. We've had quite a few bites here from Pits. It isn't the Pits that are kept in good homes from reputable breeders that bite, but the ones trained to fight, as well as their offspring, purchased by ignorant people that think they should have guard dogs.

How could you be against a ban like this?

I do, however, have problems with bans that ban dogs based on size. This is a completely different sort of ban.

Jadapit
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Heres a site with all the States that have BSL. A lot of States are banning rotties. Who's breed is going to be next? It honestly scares me who they will pick to BAN next...http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/breedspecific.html

critter crazy
11-07-2006, 01:01 PM
There is a restriction on Rottweilers here where i live in Binghamton, ny! Thankfully I Live outside the city limits, so it does not affect me. But it has affected me in other ways. I have had 3 rottis since i have lived here, and I couldnt take them to obedience classes, or to most groomers. But it has been a good thing, because there are less in the shelters, and I see less on the streets. it has its good sides and its bad sides.

lizbud
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess I was thinking state wide ban. It's not a state law, but a city
restriction. Breed specific bans were voted down in Indy.

caseysmom
11-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Hoping the ban will keep the dogs out of the hands of the fighters is kind of like making guns illegal...the criminals will still have the guns.

Jadapit
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Hoping the ban will keep the dogs out of the hands of the fighters is kind of like making guns illegal...the criminals will still have the guns.

You are so right! Denver has one of the worst BSL's there is but I bet you anything there is still plenty of dog fighting going on. I believe it was pit chick that said, "Outlaw Pit Bulls only outlaws will have them" Something along that line.

luvofallhorses
11-07-2006, 01:28 PM
there is NO ban here on any breed here including pit bulls. :) and I agree with you caseysmom.

sumbirdy
11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't think there should be a ban on any breed. People should be responsible for the way their dogs act. It's called training. Every dog is trainable if you just work with them. I'm glad that there are no dog bans where I live.

Sevaede
11-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Huskies are on many banned breed lists. Insurance companies in particular often refuse to insure homeowners with Huskies. The problem is that on bite stat lists "huskies" are in the top ten just about every time. Not Siberians, but generic husky--any prick eared dog with a curled tail is classed as a husky.

Aw, darn! I guess I can't get insured with Spanky around! :D

Hmm... Think she could pass for a big ol' mean ( :rolleyes: ) Husky dog? :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/Spanky2.jpg

CathyBogart
11-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Just thought I'd throw in that BAD RAP (San Francisco Pit Bull recue) is training one of their 'vicious' pits to be a personal therapy dog for an autistic child right now. Go Ru! (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/adoptions.cfm)

Sorry, didn't really want to sidetrack, but that's what popped up in my mind while reading this. States banning these breeds are depriving family members of valuble companions and making it so that only the scum who don't care about the laws own the dogs.

sumbirdy
11-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Aw, darn! I guess I can't get insured with Spanky around! :D

Hmm... Think she could pass for a big ol' mean ( :rolleyes: ) Husky dog? :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/Spanky2.jpg

lol. That's cute.

Husky_mom
11-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I almost hate my country but this is one thing that makes me happy about it, we don´t have banned breeds........lucky me with my Huskies huh??

it´s a shame what people make the breeds end up like..........

lovely chi!!! sooooo cute.........

caseysmom
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Just thought I'd throw in that BAD RAP (San Francisco Pit Bull recue) is training one of their 'vicious' pits to be a personal therapy dog for an autistic child right now. Go Ru! (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/adoptions.cfm)

Sorry, didn't really want to sidetrack, but that's what popped up in my mind while reading this. States banning these breeds are depriving family members of valuble companions and making it so that only the scum who don't care about the laws own the dogs.

Cathy, that is a wonderful organization. I have read a lot about them.

chocolatepuppy
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Who's breed is going to be next? It honestly scares me who they will pick to BAN next...

That what scares me! While neither of my dogs are purebred, sometimes they also pick on the mixes. Lacey most likely has GSD and Rottie in her, best we can tell, and Layla most definately has GSD in her and we'll have to see what else as she grows. All dog lovers need to ban together to fight BSL or 'your' dog could be next.

borzoimom
11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I am afraid that even a dog that is considered a pit mix is banned.. Friends of mine carry the shot record from the vets saying anything but a pit mix...

husky_lover
11-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Your right Clacier I almost didn't get house insurance because of my two Huskies. Allstate insured my house with no problem. Thor even bit the inspector.

dab_20
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Breed bans are one of the most outragous things I've ever heard of. How ignorant can some people be? I'm glad no breed bans are here. I wish all people were as educated as the many people here on PT and others.

luvofallhorses
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
That what scares me! While neither of my dogs are purebred, sometimes they also pick on the mixes. Lacey most likely has GSD and Rottie in her, best we can tell, and Layla most definately has GSD in her and we'll have to see what else as she grows. All dog lovers need to ban together to fight BSL or 'your' dog could be next.

I totally agree with you, Annette.

K9karen
11-07-2006, 10:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing! :eek: Geesh!

wolf_Q
11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm glad no breed bans are here.

Actually I just found out pit bulls are banned in South Jordan (UT). :eek: Apparently its been around for quite a long time...I had no idea. I have no idea where Smithville is (mentioned in the original post) but I'll be sure to avoid it now.

I am completely against breed bans, it really scares me honestly...especially with siberian huskies being on many of those lists as well. :( I wish people would WAKE UP and see that irresponsible people are the root of the problem NOT dogs.

lovingpaws
11-07-2006, 11:20 PM
dab_20
Oodles of Poodles Location: UT Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle
I'm guessing not very many people live in Fairfield, Iowa, huh?

Breed bans are one of the most outragous things I've ever heard of. How ignorant can some people be? I'm glad no breed bans are here......

Shar pei & Rottie banned in Smithfield Utah, according to listing. (I'm curious as to why those 2 breeds are chosen to be banned)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
chocolatepuppy Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadapit
Who's breed is going to be next? It honestly scares me who they will pick to BAN next...

I'm glad to see you guys are "getting" it. Now let's do something about it. I will post How BSL on one breed will effect mixes because of dna.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmom

You are so right! Denver has one of the worst BSL's there is but I bet you anything there is still plenty of dog fighting going on. I believe it was pit chick that said, "Outlaw Pit Bulls only outlaws will have them" Something along that line.

In the Netherlands pitbulls have been banned since 1994. Since the ban there's only been an increase in similar type dogs - Presa Canario & Bordeaux - and so those who want to project a type of image or menace will find a way to do so.

Jadapit
Registered User Join Date: Jul 2004

Heres a site with all the States that have BSL. A lot of States are banning rotties. Who's breed is going to be next? It honestly scares me who they will pick to BAN next..
.http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottw...edspecific.html

Excellant site shows how & what we can do. Sample letter for when BSL laws come to your town, or even use before the do, and also use the Best Friends Link in main thread.

Also check this Stop the Dog Slaughter Laws:
http://network.bestfriends.org/inno.../news/9021.html

Akita - ....................Kansas
American Bulldog - .....Arkansas
Chow Chow - ............South Carolina, Rhode Island, Tennesee
Doberman - ..............South Dakota, Illinois, South Carolina, Tennesee Iowa
German Shepard - ......Iowa, Tennesee
Rottweiler - .............Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Misourri, New
........... York North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina,
........... Tennessee, Utah, Washington
Shar Pei - .............Utah

Husky15
11-08-2006, 07:44 AM
husky15- may I ask you something? Is that a wolf pup or a coyote pup in your beautiful picture? I love that photo!

Thanks! And I believe it's a Timber Wolf pup, or so Google says, but then again you can't always trust Google lol...

BitsyNaceyDog
11-08-2006, 08:16 AM
I really dont even understand the size limit in apartments either. Maybe its close quarters- I dont know. Though I don't agree with city/state breed bans I do understand and agree with apartment complexes that ban certain breeds. If I owned an apartment complex I wouldn't think twice before banning some breeds. Insurance for owning a place that allows certain breeds is much higher (and I agree that it should be). If a person gets bit by a chihuahua they put a band-aid on it and go on with their day. If a person gets bit by a pit bull or another very strong breed they will probably end up in the hospital getting stitches. Landlords need to protect their tenants from the possibility of being harmed and they need to protect themselves from lawsuits and high insurance prices.

Husky15
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Though I don't agree with city/state breed bans I do understand and agree with apartment complexes that ban certain breeds. If I owned an apartment complex I wouldn't think twice before banning some breeds. Insurance for owning a place that allows certain breeds is much higher (and I agree that it should be). If a person gets bit by a chihuahua they put a band-aid on it and go on with their day. If a person gets bit by a pit bull or another very strong breed they will probably end up in the hospital getting stitches. Landlords need to protect their tenants from the possibility of being harmed and they need to protect themselves from lawsuits and high insurance prices.

Yes, I agree. And also some breeds cannot live in a little space like an apartment, so sometimes it's for the better of the breed as well.

Suki Wingy
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We have a Pit Bull ban. I am all for it.

Do I think all Pits are mean? No. I've met lovely Pit Bulls. So why am I for it? Doesn't that make me terrible?

I am all for the ban for the protection of the DOGS. We have had in the past a HUGE fighting ring in Fort Wayne. It's still going on, but the numbers have dropped because of this ban.

Peoples' dogs were being stolen from their yards if they were Pit Bulls... just to be used as bait dogs. Sweet, kind dogs that were bred to be COMPANIONS were frequently being snatched up.

This ban makes it easier to identify fighters and prosecute them, as well as keep people safe from the fighting dogs. We've had quite a few bites here from Pits. It isn't the Pits that are kept in good homes from reputable breeders that bite, but the ones trained to fight, as well as their offspring, purchased by ignorant people that think they should have guard dogs.

How could you be against a ban like this?

I do, however, have problems with bans that ban dogs based on size. This is a completely different sort of ban.
I NEVER thought of it that way, and you know, it makes total sence. If I didn't want the chance for my dog to be snatched up, I'd move. Nothing less.
And some of this posted by the OP is just wonderfull. :rolleyes: Lets ban breeds that have been bred for years to SAVE people and haven't ever been known to fall into the hands of bad owners frequently. Jeez, what good could that do!?!
And thanks for the BSL links. It's absolutley appauling to know that a town one over from me has banned breeds. :mad: :( :(