PDA

View Full Version : wild bird food- not sure where this goes

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Every winter I start a wild bird feeders, but I always loose alot in wild bird food, and I am not sure if what I am using is good enough.. Anyone have any ideas? We have suchhhhhh cold winters here, and I know the winter birds might need it. I usually just use a standard wild bird but always looking for other things. I also use suet, but I have to remember to bring it in at night or the bears or raccoons get it. Any ideas here???

Argranade
11-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Do you want to know how to lose less bird seed?

Shoulden't you be wanting to lose more bird seeds to the hungry birds? lol.

Karen
11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
What do you mean, you "lose a lot in wild bird food?"

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
yes ... sorry= typo... ( get going too fast..)

K9soul
11-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Put out a source of water. If it freezes a lot get a heated bird bath. That is a huge attractor of birds, especially in the winter. Brush or bushes that keep most of their leaves are great for little birds to hide in when it's cold too, or from predators. Vary the type of seed you put out, put some wild bird food mix, some black oil sunflower, a thistle feeder or two, throw some random seeds on the ground for birds that like to ground feed more. Hang suet feeders out for woodpeckers and chickadees. But the biggest thing that really keeps birds coming and feeding in your yard is also having a consistent source of water too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/New%20Camera/flickerdrinking.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/New%20Camera/Birds/chickadee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/New%20Camera/Birds/goldfinches9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Birds/woodpeckeronsuet.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Winter%202005-6/birds3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Winter%202005-6/birds4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Winter%202005-6/birds2.jpg

IRescue452
11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Sunflower seeds have high fat content, so I'd think they'd be great for the winter.

Argranade
11-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh you wan't feeding tips ok lol,

For me feeding the birds in the winter is the most important thing to me,

Many birds will viset your feeders during the migrations too, fruit eating birds may even stop by to see what you have in store, make sure you have a different supply of bird food during fall because of this.

During fall it's a good idea to add some sweet things like nectar, penut butter, grapes ect ... because that's what warmer weathered birds love and it will help them finish that long journey south for the winter.

After fall is over and winter takes over add more fating foods like peanuts, sun flower seeds, corn ect .. there the best for birds like bluejays, cardinals, pigeons ect.. all go crazy for them lol, you can even cook up some things for the birds like scrambled or boiled eggs, cooked rice, mashed up patatoes ect .. birds love it when there given more viriaty.

The more different foods you have for wild birds the more different species you will get, as each bird like's somthing different in there diet. For bird seeds just keep buying lots of bags of it because it will go fast trust me lol!.

Sprinkle some seeds on the floor for ground eaters like morning doves & pigeons.

If you don't want small animals like squirels eating or spilling the seeds there are speacail bird feeders that will stop that, you can just leave some bread and penuts on the ground for the squirels.

Yes winter is actualy the most important time to give birds water because they can't drink it when it's frozen, so getting a heated bird bath would be great for them .. even in the winter birds will still live to bath!

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. :)

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 12:51 PM
we have the water source and yes its heated. I looked into last year some food that didnt have the shells and all- supposed to be better for them..
Oh and we have- chickadees, red headed woodpeckers, doves, starlings, geckos, uhhhhhhhhhh tuffed titmouse, blue jays, uhhhhhhhhhh the ones that look like jail birds.. ( lollllllllllll.. I need a bird book..) with the black strips.. and some wrens..

Logan
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I hope you will take lots of pictures of your happy wild birds as they feast this winter!!! :)

Logan

mugsy
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
If you lose a lot of food to the squirrels, put out dried corn on the cob for them and spend the extra money and get yourself a Droll Yankee bird feeder. They are expensive, but, we've had customers say that the thing paid for itself within a couple of months in the cost of food saved.

Email Mike at the store too and he can add somethings too. You guys have great ideas and I am going to use them too. The email at the store is [email protected].

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
hey k9soul- we have those birds- your first picture- what is that??? I know its a woodpecker of some type....

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Oh you wan't feeding tips ok lol,

For me feeding the birds in the winter is the most important thing to me,

Many birds will viset your feeders during the migrations too, fruit eating birds may even stop by to see what you have in store, make sure you have a different supply of bird food during fall because of this.

During fall it's a good idea to add some sweet things like nectar, penut butter, grapes ect ... because that's what warmer weathered birds love and it will help them finish that long journey south for the winter.

After fall is over and winter takes over add more fating foods like peanuts, sun flower seeds, corn ect .. there the best for birds like bluejays, cardinals, pigeons ect.. all go crazy for them lol, you can even cook up some things for the birds like scrambled or boiled eggs, cooked rice, mashed up patatoes ect .. birds love it when there given more viriaty.

The more different foods you have for wild birds the more different species you will get, as each bird like's somthing different in there diet. For bird seeds just keep buying lots of bags of it because it will go fast trust me lol!.

Sprinkle some seeds on the floor for ground eaters like morning doves & pigeons.... ( edited for space..)

IfI hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. :)
Wow- yes it does. I have to bring all the feeders in at night because of the bears and raccoons, but usually up by 5am so they go back out. does my handling them worry the birds? Doesnt seem to bother most last year but I thought I would ask..

K9soul
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
hey k9soul- we have those birds- your first picture- what is that??? I know its a woodpecker of some type....

It's a northern flicker. One of the larger woodpecker species. I love birdwatching and photographing. I am going to have to buy a new heated bird bath though as I can't seem to find mine this year! It's already freezing every night here so I need to get one out soon.

When I was younger I used to find pinecones and collected them, put peanut butter all over them and then roll them in bird seed and hang them out. The birdies love those too. :)

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
It's a northern flicker. One of the larger woodpecker species. I love birdwatching and photographing. I am going to have to buy a new heated bird bath though as I can't seem to find mine this year! It's already freezing every night here so I need to get one out soon.

When I was younger I used to find pinecones and collected them, put peanut butter all over them and then roll them in bird seed and hang them out. The birdies love those too. :)
oh wow! thank you!!

Argranade
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow- yes it does. I have to bring all the feeders in at night because of the bears and raccoons, but usually up by 5am so they go back out. does my handling them worry the birds? Doesnt seem to bother most last year but I thought I would ask..

No lol, I handle my birds food all the time nothing to be worried about. :D

Wow you have bears near by!!!!:eek:

Also when observing the birds, look around for any starving or hurt birds that you can help by getting to a wild life centre, the birds realy do appreciate us humans looking out for them espeacaily during long cold winters.

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
No lol, I handle my birds food all the time nothing to be worried about. :D

Wow you have bears near by!!!!:eek:

Also when observing the birds, look around for any starving or hurt birds that you can help by getting to a wild life centre, the birds realy do appreciate us humans looking out for them espeacaily during long cold winters.
ohhhhhhhhhhhh thank you.. and this is what I mean by bears- and yes on the deck...

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
We also have a wood pecker with a black tuff on his head.. ( I need a book...)
Also what would be a good general mix bird food... I mean should I have sunflowers in one, thistle, general and what do they like with suet? Last year I got just suet ( they didnt like it much except in the blizzards.) they had nut crunch and peanut butter... Any ideas? I really want to do this right this year. This is our 3rd year year. First year we were settling in, second year I tried, but I want to do it right...

Argranade
11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
We also have a wood pecker with a black tuff on his head.. ( I need a book...)
Also what would be a good general mix bird food... I mean should I have sunflowers in one, thistle, general and what do they like with suet? Last year I got just suet ( they didnt like it much except in the blizzards.) they had nut crunch and peanut butter... Any ideas? I really want to do this right this year. This is our 3rd year year. First year we were settling in, second year I tried, but I want to do it right...

Not too many birds like suet but they might not know it's even there, try putting some penut butter on the seut because most birds are attracted to the smell of it and if there lucky they'll find out they found yummy suet there, even add some grapes around the suet.

Just any general bag of wild bird seed will do as long as it has a good enough mix.

WOW that bear is well ... right there!!! my god I would be freaked out to be alone at night lol arent you? sheeshh that guy is right on your purch lol! :D

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Not too many birds like suet but they might not know it's even there, try putting some penut butter on the seut because most birds are attracted to the smell of it and if there lucky they'll find out they found yummy suet there, even add some grapes around the suet.

Just any general bag of wild bird seed will do as long as it has a good enough mix.

WOW that bear is well ... right there!!! my god I would be freaked out to be alone at night lol arent you? sheeshh that guy is right on your purch lol! :D
Thank you .. I have a general mix but I wanted to make sure.
The bears are actually harmless but they have to know you are around. However- like these pictures were taken from my table in the dinning room in the great room at my computer. I look up and I feel like a fish in the fish bowl here...

Alysser
11-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I don't know what to suggest but DO NOT put out peanut butter on pine cones with seeds. It can clog the birds throat and nostrils and they will end up dying from choking.

Also, if your worried about them squirrels, they sell cones that you put around the pole that holds the bird feeders so the little buggers cannot climb up. There is also squrriel feeders that are a huge hit! :D

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't know what to suggest but DO NOT put out peanut butter on pine cones with seeds. It can clog the birds throat and nostrils and they will end up dying from choking.

Also, if your worried about them squirrels, they sell cones that you put around the pole that holds the bird feeders so the little buggers cannot climb up. There is also squrriel feeders that are a huge hit! :D
wow- what would you suggest? We get veryyyyyyyyy cold up here on this mountain. Is peanut butter safe for birds? I could freeze it first like a log...

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 06:11 PM
also I figure squirrels need food too. I dont care if they raid it. I am afraid my borzois chased off most of them ( or uh other things..) .. we have mostly wild life- not squirrels...

Alysser
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I found this on the Humane Society website:

"People" food is not formulated for animal consumption. Foods manufactured for humans are rarely nutritionally adequate for animals and may cause serious health problems. This is particularly the case when animals gather to feed continually on human handouts such as bread, french fries, and popcorn

When animals learn that humans can provide a cheap and easy food source, they often lose their natural fear of humans. The HSUS is particularly concerned about feeding that habituates large, potentially dangerous animals to human habitation and presence. Once wild animals learn that they can boldly forage for human food, conflicts, nuisance behavior, and risks to human safety are sure to occur.

Wildlife fed from or near vehicles may result in traffic hazards and costly property damage when animals are hit or attempt to enter vehicles in search of food. For example, in Yosemite National Park in 1998, over 1,100 vehicles were broken into by black bears—causing more than $630,000 in damages.

Animals who become dependent on human food sources may gather in abnormally large numbers, thereby aiding the spread of disease. Unnatural crowding and competition may result when wild animals gather together for food handouts from people. Such stressful conditions increase the incidence of fighting and injury among animals, as well as help the spread of diseases, some of which may be transmitted to pets and humans.

Does this mean backyard bird and squirrel feeding is wrong? No. The HSUS opposes the feeding of wildlife when the reasonable assumption can be made that animals may come to harm. While feeding birds and squirrels in your backyard is generally not an activity that fits into this category, some conditions may warrant curtailing the provision of such food sources. For example, during the warmer months, when natural food sources are more readily available, it's usually best to reduce the amount of feed you put out each day or suspend feeding altogether.

If you do provide feed for backyard wildlife—at any time of the year—remember that it's also important to maintain safe, clean feeding stations in order to prevent the spread of disease.

More Tips

If you feed your pets outside, take the bowls in at night to prevent midnight raids by your wild neighbors.
For hints on the safe disposal of food containers, check out our "Don't Trash Wildlife!" page below.
Don't touch wild animals. For information on identifying orphaned and injured wildlife, read "Found an Injured or Orphaned Animal?"
When visiting parks and similar settings, follow the rules regarding wildlife. Encourage others to do the same.

For more info:
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/urban_wildlife_our_wild_neighbors/to_feed_or_not_to_feed_wildlife.html

Also you can do a google search on "What NOT to feed wild birds?" I found alot! :eek:

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 06:25 PM
thank you.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sooooooooo just a good wild bird feed? What is the best wild bird food? The stuff I got last year was from southern states, but surely there must be some better stuff...

Argranade
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
There's been no problem with peanut butter I feed my wild squirels all the time with it but not too much wal-nuts is a better option as they LOVE them lol,

Feeding birds is fine were giving them extra food nothing to be scared about EVER! because some areas have been cut down where birds always go then there's no food and they could starve on the way looking for a new area.

Just do everything I told you in the first post that's all good for the birds but seeds are the main option.

THE BIG! problem is when people feed the geese and ducks because these birds always start to depend on humans then won't want to migrate in the winter there for they starve when a human does not feed them (There's a man like that around my area always feeding the geese and ducks bread :rolleyes: ).

Don't give bread to birds because it's not healthy, I'll give my pigeons a small peice like once in 2 months as a treat.

K9soul
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM

I did a search on this as I have not heard any problem with it and it is an extremely common thing that people feed to birds. I had a hard time finding anything that claimed it was as dangerous as that, but I found some things that said it's somewhat of a myth. Here is just one:

----

3. Is peanut butter bad for birds? Will it stick to the roof of their beaks?

This topic is hotly debated, but there is no scientific evidence one way or the other. We humans sometimes have trouble digesting large mouthfuls of peanut butter, so is it logical that the same is true for birds? Not really. Birds' bills do not have as much saliva as human mouths, so it is less likely that the peanut butter will get gooey and stuck to the roof. To be safe, it's smart to mix chunky peanut butter with whole oats, raisins, cornmeal, and other ingredients to make it drier and more solid, and thus less sticky when it enters a bird's bill. Offer only small amounts and offer a source of water, just in case a bird wants to get a beak-cleaning drink.

link (http://www.duncraft.com/Backyard_FAQ.ihtml)

---

I truly do not think using peanut butter with seeds is that large of a danger. I did read over many many links to make sure though so I don't feel uneasy about it :)

BOBS DAD
11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Great Pictures K9Soul!!! And I LOVE that Pidgeon Arganade.

MajesticCollies
11-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Michelle I'm not sure you need a bird feeder that close to the house with all them bears. have you thought of investing in a bear feeder. What great furry friends to have around!!! :D

BOBS DAD
11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Don't give bread to birds because it's not healthy, I'll give my pigeons a small peice like once in 2 months as a treat.

When I was a kid Arganade, I had a flock of Homing Pidgeons - 30-40 strong. I also has a few fantails, rollers & tumblers and some fancy ones (feathered feet and a curl on the back of neck). I used to give them a slice of bread or two - but dried and crunchy. I let them dry naturally and would supplement the regular grain mix with the bread. They loved it and it was gone in a matter of minutes amongst all of them.