PDA

View Full Version : Nervous wreck!

catnapper
11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok guys, I've mentioned the job opportunity for my dream job. I spent the better half of last week just on the resume, which is looking good thanks to Edwina's Secretary.... BTW, my brother also said I need numbers (only he called them "quantifiers") and he too was lost as to how to slip them in *shrugs*

I am confident that my cover letter is sharp. Not so confident about my resume but it is what it is. :o

Anyhoooooo.... I spent the entire weekend working on my portfolio. Which to a normal person is no big deal. I would just print out my best work, right? Yeah, right! Not when you're ME. :rolleyes: Instead of simply prinitng out the digital scans of my artwork, I insisted on matting them and then writing the title in different calligraphy styles on each mat. This was because they stressed good free hand lettering skills in their job posting. I only recut the same mats a dozen times until I was certain each mat had perfect lettering.

Since they also mentioned that the job required an artist to turn artwork into needlework, I spent alllll day turning Minette's portrait into a needlework design. I am thrilled with the result if I say so myself.

I think my portfolio covers everything except the digital imaging - which I can explain in person.

I can't sleep for being so excited about this. The other night I laid in bed praying to God to give me a sign that I have this job. For whatever reason I said "Make the sign be that hubby stops snoring." Dontcha know..... 5 minutes later hubby got up to pee. Technically, he DID stop snoring! :D They always say God has a sense of humor ;) Hubby thought I was absoultely nuts when he returned to bed with me giggling about it.

Anyway, I'm super nervous and have myself worked up about this. I'll be dropping off my resume and the portfolio in person tomorrow. I NEED this job, not only to get back on my feet financially but also for my sense of self. This has also been my dream job for the past ten years.

I still have to finish some calligraphy, and find something to put the resume and portfolio in.... not to mention figure out what I'll wear ot drop it off! Yikes! Its gonna be a long night... which won't matter because I won't be able to sleep.

caseysmom
11-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Good luck Kim! Try to relax, you know you are the best woman for the job!

jenluckenbach
11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
BREATHE!!!!!!!!!! (or you'll pass out) :p

Best of luck Kim!!

sandragonfly
11-05-2006, 08:34 PM
oohhh, I wish you a big luck! I can bet you it's waaay more nervous than getting a dream job in a year!

I remember I did my portfolio.. it was a lot! I hope they see you're the one who should deserve this. ;)

jazzcat
11-05-2006, 08:38 PM
I've missed out on this but I want to wish you the best of luck!!!!

Laura's Babies
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Good luck!!! Don't forget to pray about it!

AbbyMom
11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Wishing you all the best....go in with confidence! You have so much talent that they will be lucky to have you. Remember that!

Edwina's Secretary
11-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Okay...we didn't cover this but...in your cover letter how about you say.... I will call you on ______________- to follow up? And then do it!

But...you must get this in the mail... after so many resumes have been received it is easy to stop looking. Hence...above is very important!

K9karen
11-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Darn the dreaded waiting period! But Kim, just reading about your portfolio, I was so impressed! I'm totally psyched for you! Take deep breaths and try to relax. Think positive thoughts and stay upbeat! I know I certainly will!!!! Bundles of good luck wishes!

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Good luck Kim!!! If it were up to me, I'd hire you.:)

Pam
11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Kim your work will speak for itself! :cool: My fingers are crossed for you!

Killearn Kitties
11-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Wishing you the very best of luck! :D

Barbara
11-06-2006, 03:48 AM
As someone who knows the other side as well: Sara's hint with the follow-up call is a good one :)

Randi
11-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Kim, you're putting such effort into it, it's got to work! ;) Before you go, be sure to get a good nights sleep ... relax - relax - relax!! Good luck!!

catnapper
11-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Kim, you're putting such effort into it, it's got to work! ;) Before you go, be sure to get a good nights sleep ... relax - relax - relax!! Good luck!!
Good night's sleep? Know what I was doing at midnight last night? Picking up a jungle gym from someone's trash!!!! Someone emailed me about a plastic jungle gym put out for trash down the street from their house. They figured we'd want it for Cameron. So at midnight I drove out to see it. It didn't fit into my car so I drove home and woke hubby so that he could help me figure out how to get it home. He actually got out of bed and we drove back to break it down and get it in the car. (Did I ever mention how awesome my husband is?)

I think I got about 4 hours sleep. :rolleyes:

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Kim- it sounds like to me you are more than prepared! I know you want this job so bad " you can taste it" but remember to relax.. ( yes I know thats hard..).
I use to do some personal managing job earlier in my career, and preparation is what tells an employer of the employees ability to prepare for things and projects. Looks like to me- you have more than done that.
** Break a leg..**

Rachel
11-06-2006, 07:08 AM
The detail and time you have committed to will surely be evident in this effort. Your talent has always been there. You are giving this your best and I have no doubt it will pay off. If not in this search, in the next. Good luck and....YOU GO GIRL!

jackie
11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Good Luck!!!

ramanth
11-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Good luck and remember to breathe! :D

kuhio98
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
It sounds like you are more than ready. Turn it in -- TODAY! What good is the most perfect sample of your work if no one gets a chance to see it? Sending you good thoughts and positive vibes....

catnapper
11-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers guys. Now, I am *almost* done. I think the more I look at it, the more I change things, so it has to go somewhere today :p

Here's the $10,000 queston: Do I mail it to make it formal, or drop it off to show I am eager about this? Of course, dropping it off in person gives me the chance to be super nice to the receptionist (which always gets back to HR) and it saves me $8 worth of postage. Its also a block from hubby's work and I can swing by and see him after I drop it off. I have a lot of people telling me to drop it off for a better impression and a lot of people telling me the professional way to go is mail. Oh what to do, what to do? All I know is I have to do it within the next few hours.

Karen
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Absolutely drop it off in person. Absolutely, positively, and bring a daisy for the receptionist! ;)

Logan
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Take it in person, I think. Keep us posted!!!

catnapper
11-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Ack - this is worse than deciding whether or not ot take it.... I called HR to see to whom I should address the package I'm dropping off. I'd like ot talk ot them first to see if possibly they'd be willing ot meet me to put it in their hands. I'm not asking for an interview before they even see the resume, just that they at least are aware I'm coming. Its been a couple hours and nobody's called me back. Sigh. I guess I could just drop it off without speaking to them first.

jenluckenbach
11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't know nothing about nothing, but get that package IN before you blow up from stress. :eek: LOL

borzoimom
11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
how did it go??? :D

jenluckenbach
11-07-2006, 05:57 PM
well ???

borzoimom
11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
keeping us in suspense huh.... ( finger nails tapping the table-- tap tap tap tap tap ...... )

catnapper
11-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Sorry guys -- been a busy day with errands and doggy training.

I dropped it off this afternoon. I'll call back in a few days. Trying to get a person's name so I could address the cover letter was like pulling teeth :rolleyes:

I don't know how I feel. I went from feeling very positive and confident that I was showing them good work, to feeling like my stuff was below par. Of course, all morning I felt amaturish (is that a word?) and I'm bracing for the letter that says "Thank you but we're looking for someone with more experience"

I know I can do this job and would have immense pride in what I do there.

Edwina's Secretary
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Did you look at the company's website to see if you can get a name?

catnapper
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Did you look at the company's website to see if you can get a name?
I checked all over, so I finally called. Even then it was the run-around. I finally got the main receptionist, who was super nice.