PDA

View Full Version : How Could You Say No??

K & L
11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Long story...

We first noticed Trudy, a beautiful medium-length tortie, in the park about a year ago. She appeared to be young and slight, but nearly full-grown.

After some time she came to trust us and made a habit of rubbing up on us during the nightly feeding routine. A few of the other park ferals also let us pet or pick them up, so we weren't too concerned about Trudy's trust being a safety hazard for her. Our experience has been that a small percentage of the park ferals eventually grow to trust us enough that they let us pet them, but only us. We know these interactions are selfish of us, but have never seen any of the friendlier ferals put themselves in harmful proximity to other park patrons.

However, after a few months, we spotted Trudy nuzzling up to other park patrons. Normally, she stays with a colony of ferals that resides in an area of the park that is not usually open to the public. So, though we were concerned with her being too friendly, she mostly stayed away from contact with other humans.

Last week, we were notified that Trudy's normally isolated area of the park was going to be opened for some Halloween activities. This would put hundreds or thousands of people, mostly kids, much too close to our overly trusting Trudy.

We devised a plan by which we'd gather up Trudy the night before Halloween. We'd take her home until the Halloween activities had passed and then return her to the park. We even decided to use the opportunity to drop her off at our vet’s office for a quick checkup, tests, and shots.

Everything went exactly as planned. Trudy was none too happy about spending the night in our temporary pen, but it was dry and warm enough, and had food and water. Her Halloween day visit to the vet also went well. Her health checked out very well and all of her tests came back good.

The night after Halloween (Wednesday), we released Trudy back to the park in her normal feeding area. Typically, when we release a feral, they scamper out of the trap/carrier and off to a safe place. Trudy, however, though aggravated with our heavy handed treatment of her the past few days, calmly walked out of the opened carrier and followed us as we placed the food. We were pleased that she seemed to have re-acclimated herself so quickly.

Then, we were mildly amused as she continued to follow us to other feeding stations in the park's non-public areas. She'd followed us in the past, but not quite so far.

Our amusement turned to alarm when we progressed to other feeding stations in public areas of the park. Trudy had followed us. Understand that this is no small trek for her. We're driving a car from one edge of the park to an opposite side - maybe 1/8 of a mile. We look up, and there's Trudy in an area of the park that we've never before seen her. She must have run the entire way.

Kevin picked her up and we drive her back to her normal area. After a few failed attempts to leave her - she kept following us toward the park exit - we somehow convinced her not to follow us.

The next night (Thursday) of feeding, things seemed to have returned to normal. Trudy is with her normal colony and doesn't follow us about as she had the night before.

Last night (Friday) things went really wrong. We find Trudy with her colony, where she eats normally. She seems content to stay there as we leave for the other feeding stations. Finally, as we go to leave the last feeding station and exit the park, here comes Trudy running at full speed! We figure we'll just place her back as we did two nights before.

Kevin walks her all the way back to her feeding area. Kevin turns to walk back and Trudy, while following him, starts pawing at his ankles as if to play or be picked up - or both. This cycle is repeated two or three times as Kevin tries to escape the area without Trudy at his heels. She will not be ignored, or left behind.

So we didn't/couldn't!

I wasn't at all happy about bringing her home. The house is already too full of cats, and Sable and her kittens are still being fostered in the second bathroom. Trudy and Kevin win. Trudy, free-roaming across our dashboard, seemed happy with herself as we drove her the few blocks home.

She spent the night in our bedroom, segregated from most of the others so we could make all of the cat introductions in a somewhat controlled fashion. By this morning things seemed totally normal. After only a few hissing fits, most of cats seem hardly to notice the new addition. Trudy acts as though she's lived here forever. And, she's quite a good lap companion.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p4997821cbf535fc4e6d9c4c6c43f171b/ec2dc315.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/pcbea77ee5f8f97542c7d2fa4eb9cf588/ec2dc2f3.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/pd1597c447a4e5a2f0d01afd8fee401c5/ec2dc2dc.jpg

Freedom
11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Aw, Trudy is so pretty and she knew a good thing when she had it! Is it possible she is not a feral but a cast off? And she lived with the colony because she had no choice? That once upon a time, she KNEW what a home is and that it is good?

No matter. She knows it now, and she picked hers!

I don't do your type of work for a reason - I would bring them all home with me! But reading this, my heart went out to her on the Wednesday evening adventure, and I would have taken her in then!

I am SO glad you took her in. She clearly is ready to make the transition. Good luck with her, as her future just took a great turn for the better!

K & L
11-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Aw, Trudy is so pretty and she knew a good thing when she had it! Is it possible she is not a feral but a cast off? And she lived with the colony because she had no choice? That once upon a time, she KNEW what a home is and that it is good?

No matter. She knows it now, and she picked hers!

I don't do your type of work for a reason - I would bring them all home with me! But reading this, my heart went out to her on the Wednesday evening adventure, and I would have taken her in then!

I am SO glad you took her in. She clearly is ready to make the transition. Good luck with her, as her future just took a great turn for the better!

It is very possible she was a dump and just took time to gain full trust with us. It was very hard to leave her Wednesday, but our household is bursting at the seams right now and it just seemed impossible to take in one more. Although we have homes for the 2 foster kittens we still have Sable and now Trudy that need a good home. It's not so easy finding homes for the adults as it is kittens.

One good thing it has gotten Kevin (and me) more motivated to update the garage area. :D

TNR is hard since you can't save them all for housecats, but the thing we keep in mind is we're saving more from being born to a life of a feral. We maintain the colony by feeding/water nightly now for around 9 years. Believe it or not, there are some of the original ones still there. Normally a ferals life span is about 2 years. So TNR is a good thing!

kimlovescats
11-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh Lisa, Trudy's story just warmed my heart!!! I was cheering for her all the way, "run Trudy, catch them, make them take you home"!!!! :D THANK YOU Lisa and Kevin!!!! ;)

jazzcat
11-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't think Trudy gave you the chance to say No. What a sweetheart!

jenluckenbach
11-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a smile on my face and tears in my eyes.....what a determined little bundle she is. :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Trudy sure is a gorgeous girl and I'm glad that you now have her in your home.:) Hopefully both Trudy and Sable will find their loving forever homes soon or maybe they've already found them.;)

elleagwire
11-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Such an adorable cat! Who can ever say No to that! ;)
What do you know, we are soft hearted creature too...

http://www.puppy-stork.com/images/puppies.jpg

Elle Mayson

orangemm
11-06-2006, 04:37 AM
See? "NO" doesn't always mean "NO"! And, she knew it!! Guess you all weren't going real fast!?

Good girl, Trudy!!! :D

Her expression in the first picture says "Ha. I knew I could have my way with them!".

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-06-2006, 04:47 AM
Awwwww what a determined little cat!! Thanks so much for taking her in!!

momcat
11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Say no to Trudy? Not a chance here. There's no question that she set her sights squarely on you and Kevin. It does seem like she might have had a home at some point.Scritchies and tummy rubs to your newest resident!!!

Laura's Babies
11-06-2006, 07:54 AM
What else could you do.....YOU had been adopted!! She made her choice and showed you what kind of life she wanted... GOOD GOING TRUDY! She is so lovely too!

prechrswife
11-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Trudy is beautiful. Good luck on finding homes for her and for Sable.

jackie
11-06-2006, 08:25 AM
:) She is beautiful and looks very happy in her new "home".

Soapets
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
How could I say "no"???????? "Y-E-S"!!!!! There's no way that I could have left her there after all of that! What a beautiful girl she is, and smart, too! :D

Deb

Killearn Kitties
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
What a hilarious story! Trudy looks totally at home. I'm afraid she simply was not going to take no for an answer. :D She had made up her mind.

Donnaj4962
11-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Trudy! Sasha here. You and I could easily be sisters! We look so much alike that my Meowmie is very amazed!

Sounds to me like Trudy knew just what she was doing as she followed you through the park! And she looks very content as she lays around your house in the pictures you posted! I hope she can find a forever home soon. She sounds (and looks) like sucha cutie patootie, I hope and pray that she will find a home soon.

catmandu
11-06-2006, 05:43 PM
There must have been something , a love that came through to Trudy that she could find a Furr Ever Home, if only she did not give up.
And now Trudy will not be a Feral in the Park, but with the Lords grace, a Kitty with a home.
That truly is a happy story.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Trudy is beautiful! I am so glad that she convinced you to take her in. She does not look like a street kitty, and the way she is already lounging around, she has made herself right at home. It is so sweet. Thank you for helping Trudy and all of the other park cats *HUGS*