PDA

View Full Version : Update on my feral mom and rescues/fosters

jazzcat
11-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I'll try to make a long story short. The little wild kitten was so wild we decided to have him neutered and release him with his momma back into our backyard. I took him to the vet Tuesday afternoon, they neutered him on Wed. and I picked him up Thursday afternoon with momma. One of the vet techs said she worked with him and he was coming around. At home I brought him in to see how he was and Wow! he was reallying coming around. Only a few hisses and spits but I could pet him and within minutes he was purring. I knew right then we couldn't release him so I kept working with him. He didn't know what to do or how to play so I brought Moxie in and after a few exchanged hisses they were pals. She taught him how to wrestle and play with toys and over the past couple of days she has taught him how to interact with us.

I'm already in love with this little guy who I orignally named Taz but it no longer fits so we are looking for a new name. Richard keeps calling him Boo Bear or Booster. We are even considering Decker since he was under the deck or Trapper since we trapped him.

As for momma cat, once I knew we were keeping the kitten in I released her. She shot out of the yard, over the fence and through the woods like a flash and I have not seen her since. I keep putting food out for her but I only see the neighbor's cats and a possum eating it. I hope she is safe where ever she is. She is very feral and her ear was notched during her spay. We did all we could for her.

Now for some pictures.

This is when I first discovered we missed a kitten. Momma was letting him play but as soon as she saw me they dove under the deck steps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/Kittens/P1012085.jpg

This is momma in the cage after the spay. She was so scared.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/Kittens/P1012111.jpg

The little wild gray kitten with Moxie Thursday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/Kittens/P1012113.jpg

The little wild guy last night.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/Kittens/P1012118.jpg

He doesn't like the camera so I have to hide it and use no flash so this was a quick shot I got when he ran up to me. Sorry it's blurry but look at how close he gets, he was right in my face.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/Kittens/P1012121.jpg

He still runs and hides when walk in the room or makes sudden movements but he quickly returns to play. Once he is used to you he loves to be pet and even fell over on his side to let me rub his belly last night. He watches Moxie and will do whatever she does so when she climbed into my lap last night to sleep he did the same but didn't stay too long. He still has a way to go but he sure has come around quickly.

kimlovescats
11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
FANTASTIC!!! Oh Lori, you have done so good for these babies and their mom! I so proud of you, and just look at the rewards you are already reaping!!! They are adorable, and that little gray guy will probably end up being one of the most loving lap kitties ever! I've seen it happen before!

Great job!
Hugs,
Kim

catcrazylady
11-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh Lori they are both precious! I have always said that there is nothing more rewarding than earning the trust of a feral. It is time consuming and requires tons of patience but it is so rewarding. You already have this kitten trusting you and the bond will never be broken. He may always be skittish with others but he will always trust you in the end.

Isn't it sad that feral babies don't know how to play? That just seems like something that shouldn't have to be taught but it does. Once they figure it out though they sure have fun! It's great you have Moxie to help him along because its really hard when there are no other babies around for them to learn from. God sure blessed that little boy when he landed in your trap!!! :D

I like the name Decker for him. It seems to fit him.

See why those of us who try to rescue end up with a house full of cats?? ;) At least you did better than me and let a couple of the babies go. I haven't been able to do that yet!!!! :eek:

jazzcat
11-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Isn't it sad that feral babies don't know how to play? That just seems like something that shouldn't have to be taught but it does. Once they figure it out though they sure have fun! It's great you have Moxie to help him along because its really hard when there are no other babies around for them to learn from. God sure blessed that little boy when he landed in your trap!!! :D

I know, I was so surprised at how he hid from toys and didn't know what to do with them. I tried showing him but he just hid but once Moxie started playing with them he came out and would mimic her. Now he's the first to play with anything new I bring in.

I think Richard is resigned to the fact that we may have two new house members. I just don't know if I can make that little kitty have to start all over with someone new and he needs his Moxie Moo (almost as much as I do ;) :D ).

kimlovescats
11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
I think Richard is resigned to the fact that we may have two new house members. I just don't know if I can make that little kitty have to start all over with someone new and he needs his Moxie Moo (almost as much as I do ;) :D ).

Yippee!!!! :D

jenluckenbach
11-05-2006, 12:40 PM
What a wonderful turn-around for Decker (my favorite of the names you mentioned). And how lucky for him that Moxie just happened to still be in your care. ;)

jazzcat
11-05-2006, 01:17 PM
And how lucky for him that Moxie just happened to still be in your care. ;)
Wasn't that lucky? Hehehehe! :D

So you guys like Decker? I had kind of dismissed it last night but I'll have to rethink it now. I first wanted to call him Astro but it doesn't fit and doesn't roll off my tongue too well either. Of course I've always been fond of Baloo for a name (Kim knows that well). I think no matter what we call him Richard will always call him Boo something. It has already stuck with him and he thinks it fits since the kitten is so timid and scared.

Killearn Kitties
11-05-2006, 01:23 PM
What great news! That is so great that Moxie has taken your newest kitten under his wing! :D I'm so impressed at this progress.

jenluckenbach
11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I think Richard is resigned to the fact that we may have two new house members.
snicker, snicker, snicker, snicker, snicker, snicker

now if Lorraine would just come to that conclusion.....LOL LOL

Freedom
11-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh my, how sweet! I love that first shot, when the little baby is bouncing on the deck with momma looking out for him! And the one with him and Moxie - he looks so much bigger than her. You have done wonders for this feline family, and momma cat may not know how to show it, but she will be healthier now. Two new additions, well done!

krazyaboutkatz
11-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the wonderful update Lori.:D I also like the name Decker and he sure is a cutie pie and looks so much larger than Moxie.:) I'm so glad that Moxie is able to help him learn to play and other things too. Congrats on your 2 new additions!!!:D

If you want a name that goes with Moxie, you could name him Maxie.;)

catmandu
11-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Decker is a great name for that Little One.
When I was young we used to try to play with the Barn Kittens, but they would very seldom come near you.
Once in a while if you snuck food out, but thier Mommas sadly told them to be careful.
Thats wonderful how you ahve trurned Deckers life around.
The Found Cats and I are PROUD of YOU!!!

Laura's Babies
11-05-2006, 05:59 PM
sniff.....sniff..... I love happy endings! He will always be grateful for the life you brought him to and bring you many years of joy and faithful companionship. YAAAAAAAAA!

kimlovescats
11-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I like the name Decker too ... kind of like my Dexter! :)

K & L
11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Great job! I was just thinking of you today and wondering how things were going. I bet mom cat comes back. Sometimes they won't show for a week or so. I think they just come around much later and eat. I'll be anxious to hear if you see her again.