PDA

View Full Version : Any farmers here?

Christiansmommy
11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
My husband is actually going to be directing this post to any of you that might be farmers...he is in the very early process of considering some type of work in the farming industry...organic farming specifically...I know that Pettalk covers a huge popuilation of people, and I am sure some of you must be farmers. Here he goes.

ello' PetTalkers, I know this is kind of Off Topic, but with all the diversity in animals lovers and people here on this great message board, I'm sure there's got to be some farmers here somewhere right? I guess we'll find out.

What are your experiences being farmers. The pro's and cons. Do you still get time to take vacations w/ your family and get away from your "job" at all? Financially it will be a big difference, definitally a life-style change. We are currently looking around reading up on Organic farming, CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture), Co-ops, Bio-Diversity, and most importantly, local internships. #1 I need to learn how to farm. #2 learn the practices of organic farming specifically. #3 How to actually maintaine and support daily life on your own w/ a farm. I know it will be a lot of hard work, but I think it would be a great way to bring up the kids, lead a healthier life, teach the kids a different way of life outside of suburban America, and help protect our planet and its resources and share it w/ the "purchasers of our wares".

Right now I work in Technology...this will obviously be a BIG change, but one were excited to explore. Its not all about the $$$ for us. Its about doing something you love, doing it together and having a fun life w/ family and friends. Besides, if I'm gonna sit in a seat all day, it might as well be in a tractor surrounded by the fruits of your labor right! Litterally.

LOTS of research / planning / and action still to come. Just wanted to get some thoughts from any of the pro's that might be here on PetTalk and get some insider info.

I'm off to research, thanks for any feedback. Wish us luck.

sasvermont
11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Well Robyn dearest, I think your change will be fun. I would also suggest you go to a local farmer and shadow him/her. Go to one that is doing what you WANT to do. Milking cows isn't fun, but organic farming is really in up here. And I think here to stay. My guess, is that if you put the business in your name, name you the president, you will be eligible for a whole series of loans that hubby would not be entitled to.

Sounds like fun. I have friends who are starting organic blueberry growing....it takes years to get the plants to maturity.

Just be careful dear one. Don't put all your "eggs in one basket"......maybe parttime for awhile....then full time......wade around in it a bit first....

Keep us posted!
:D

buttercup132
11-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Dab_20's dad is a farmer
and so is that other member who own Itty Bit (I think thats his name)
but shes not on very often

Pembroke_Corgi
11-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm not a farmer, but I am from Iowa. :D Seriously, I have friends who come from farming families, so I know a little bit about it.

From what I understand, it is very very hard to make a living unless you are a "family farmer." Meaning, it has been in your family for a long time and you own all of the land. I *think* you even get certain tax benefits, etc, but ONLY if you are a family farmer. Land is very expensive and unless you already own it it's hard to make a lot of money simply selling crops. My closet friend's dad is a farmer (the farm has been in his family for several generations). He has 3 other jobs to make enough money- he does an online agriculture forum, reads meters, and teaches flying lessons. He is pretty much working all the time, but I think part of it is because he wants to- they earn a good living, but because he farms AND does 3 other jobs.

I guess, if you wanted to go into farming the biggest thing would be the initial expense...land, equipment, etc, is all very expensive. But, I'm sure it's doable if it's something you really want! Good luck!! :)

Christiansmommy
11-06-2006, 08:09 AM
bump

Freedom
11-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I subscribe to People Places Plants, the Northeast Organic Gardening magazine. Here is the web site:

http://www.ppplants.com/

The autumn 2006 issue has the cover story, New Faces of Organic Gardening.

If you are interested, PM me with your full name and mailing address, I will mail you a photo copy of that article. (I would offer to fax it, but there are lots of color photos and things that wouldn't fax well.)

Each state has a chapter of NOFA - National Organic Farmers Association. This magazine only gives the contacts for the New England states, plus New York. But you could try locating the chapter for your state. Even contact on of these if a GOOGLE search doesn't work, and ask them for a contact in your area. Or maybe you already have done that.

The authors and others who participate in this magazine - either monthly or just for special articles - always emphasize that they are available for questions.

The magazine is geared to the Northeast and to our growing zones. So I am not sure if the specifics will help you or not.

Suki Wingy
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I wont at a historic farm but through 4-H and the fair I've kinda become an honorary farmer.