PDA

View Full Version : Dog names

slleipnir
06-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Where did you come up with the perfect name for your dogs??

Before I got Jo, I read a very interesting ( I think anyway?? LOL)book about a girl who was clever and smart etc, her name was Josie..I liked it, so I named my girl that!

Presley
06-08-2002, 07:36 PM
It was pretty simple...
We were driving home from the breeders on Xmas eve with Presley sitting between me and my mom. She was chewing on a Elvis Presley Xmas CD. My mom kept asking me what i was going to call her and i kept saying all these names but none worked so i said hmmm.... Presley... Thats how i named her....

Kfamr
06-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Well ever since the movie "The Lion King" first came out I have LOVED it. I took the main charactors name, Simba, and named Sim that.

KYS
06-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Sheba was named after my Aunt's/Uncle favorite GSD
who passed away many years ago.
Rocky is named after my Uncles nick name. (my Uncle.
is alive and well) :)
Pepper looked like the color Pepper and my husband
named her.
We think we might name our next terrier Chunk
because they seem to have such big appetites. :D

CountryWolf07
06-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Anna was already named.. so we kept that.. and for Rosie.. I'd like to think that it was named after Rosario on Will & Grace ;) but.. to be honest, I don't know how we came up with the name Rosie.. my brother just threw it in, and we all agreed, so it's her name! - Rach

sisterdog
06-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Checotah was named after a town in Oklahoma near where her mother was found by a friend. My friend named the pup and I thought it was too beautiful to change.
Rose's name just came to me while riding home with her on my lap just after I got her.
Miss Brown was a found dog who was supposed to be adopted out - I'm a foster flunkout - it started by my friend calling her Brownie, and ended up being Miss Brown which is the title to a jazz tune.

twirlbird
06-08-2002, 10:44 PM
[COLOR=royalblue]When we got Diana, she came with a name Sara. I really didnt like this name for her, so I called her Puddy. But everyone kept askin why did you name her that. And being 13 at the time, I changed it. I was really interested in Greek and Roman gods at the time and liked the name Diana. Now when i look at her i cant see her being any other name.

Bayba was pure white and being the silly 8 year old girl that i was, i called him like Rare Snow Jewel of the East, etc. But i kept forgetting the name so i would just call him baby and my baby. And then some how it got changed into Bayba and it stuck. Now i really like his name cause i aint never met or heard of another bayba!

Chester Thai is a rambuncious ferret. But I loved Howliday inn and decided to name him after the smart kitty Chester and Thai...god knows how i got that.

slleipnir
06-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Rufus was named when I was very young..appearintly my dad listed a few names, and my bro liked Rufus the most.

smitten, don't ask!! lol, it was a mix between the place I got her, and mittens..I didn't realize at the time there actually was a word 'smitten'

Cincy'sMom
06-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Ralph came up with Sadie. I think there was a neighbor dog when he was growing up and he liked the name. Cincy is short for Univeristy of Cincinnati where Ralph and I both went to college and met :)

anna_66
06-09-2002, 06:09 PM
Angus was named after Angus Young of AC/DC, and Roxey, from the Police song Roxanne, we call her Roxey for short!

manda99
06-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Smokey cuz he's a thug dog and that's a thug-ish name. As he's grown up he even got a freckle/birthmark that looks like a teardrop tattoo. THUG! :D

slleipnir
06-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Neato ;D

I think if the next dog I get is a male, I'm going to name him Carter!! Yup! I got that from Dr.Carter from ER!! Love that show!!
I'm in a '!'y mood!!!!!! Doot de doo!
Anyway, if its a female, then I'd name it Bailey. The barn I used to ride at had the sweetest dog named Bailey, its a neat name too :D

twirlbird
06-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Are you saying that as in john dont have bailey anymore or what?!?!?!

slleipnir
06-10-2002, 09:16 AM
No, lol I'm saying I don't ride there anymore..John wouldn't get rid of his bailey ;D

C.C.'s Mom
06-10-2002, 09:21 AM
We needed a name with a C (Cinnamon Cookie) because of the breeder. I had a list of names, and the breeder had to choose. I didn't want to call Cookie like this, but the breeder already started it and she listened to it.

slleipnir
06-10-2002, 09:22 AM
hehe, cookie is a cute name!

C.C.'s Mom
06-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
hehe, cookie is a cute name!

The funny thing is, that I often call her Cook when we're on the bike. And the way it's pronounced, it's like the German word 'guck' which means -look-. So, other people look at me because they think I ask them to do so.

There are many nicknames for her though, and she listens to them too. Like Trampeltier, Lee-laa-lollipop, Cookielein, Bargahulu (peachleave).

Don't let my husband know... but I like Carter too :rolleyes:

Corinna
06-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Merlin just reminded me of the actor who played Merlin in the movie.The Montana's Mystical Merlin just kinda evolved as we got to know him. His Mom was Nestle and Dad was Bosco I couldn't name him any thing chocolate ( since hes a liver and white)

ramanth
06-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Kia came with her name and it just seemed to suit her.

Although people ask me from time to time why I named my dog after a car. :rolleyes:

My sister once told me I should call her 'Cell Phone' since I say 'No Kia' a lot. ;) :D LOL!

jennifert
06-11-2002, 01:26 PM
The funny thing is, that I often call her Cook when we're on the bike. And the way it's pronounced, it's like the German word 'guck' which means -look-. So, other people look at me because they think I ask them to do so.

LOL!!! :D That is so funny!

And Kimmy, I always thought Kia's name was said Ki- uh not Key-uh....
I guess you do learn something new every day...:)

manda99
06-11-2002, 01:48 PM
My sister once told me I should call her 'Cell Phone' since I say 'No Kia' a lot

CUTE!

ramanth
06-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by jennifert
And Kimmy, I always thought Kia's name was said Ki- uh not Key-uh....
I guess you do learn something new every day...:)

LOL! I think Ki-uh is a very pretty pronunciation of the name. But the shelter said her name was Key-uh. I never thought of Ki-uh at the time. Too mesmorized by those eyes. ;)

Kia's ears twitch a little whenever there is a commercial for the Kia cars or the Nokia cell phones but she's never actually responded to it but stopping to look.

CountryWolf07
06-11-2002, 02:11 PM
If I wanted to name my dog after a character from any show, it'd be Jack, from Will & Grace.. if from FRIENDS, Phoebe, for a cat, I'd name him Chandler ;) I think those are cute names! I like the name Carter, too. He's my fav. character from ER too! :D - Rachel