PDA

View Full Version : Labradors - correct dog for me?

MagicForPets
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi! I'm trying to find out what kind of dog is the right kind for me. I know a lab who is going to have puppies and trying to figure out if they are the right breed for my lifestyle. Yes, I know, adopting a dog from the pound is a much better choice, but that's not going to happen because of my parents. Anyway... I have about 6 hours to be involved with the dog and the other hours my parents and siblings would be involved with her. I have time for grooming but not much. From as far as I can see, I think Labs are perfect, but what do you think?
Thank you all very much in advance!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-03-2006, 05:33 PM
What qualities do you want in a dog? Labs are great, but definitely not for everyone. If you describe what you like in a dog, people will be able to judge better wether a Labrador is suited to you or not. :)

MagicForPets
11-03-2006, 05:36 PM
What qualities do you want in a dog? Labs are great, but definitely not for everyone. If you describe what you like in a dog, people will be able to judge better wether a Labrador is suited to you or not. :)
I want a dog that likes to swim and play chase/catch.
A dog that will bond specially to one person (ME! :D)
A dog that is rather easy to train- and not to challenging to train. From my prospective a dog that is hard to train is a dog that doesn't get an idea of what I am telling it what to do after a few days... the dog doesn't need to know the command 100% but get the idea after a few days.

critter crazy
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Care and training

Although the Lab is the epitome of family dogs, he needs a fairly active household to satisfy his need for exercise and work. Daily walks, romps in a fenced yard, and games of fetch keep his mind and body in shape. Unless these needs are satisfied, the Lab may become a wanderer, a digger, or a chewer. First off, the new Lab puppy should be leash trained and taught to sit on command to prevent his jumping on people in his desire to say hello. The pup can also be taught early to shake paws and to fetch; his soft mouth and innate desire to retrieve can provide hours of play. Later on, the pup can learn to put his nose to use and find things that have been hidden for him.

A fast-growing Lab pup reaches almost adult weight within six-seven months and can be a handful to train if left to his own devices ‘til then. He is exuberant, a trait that can get him into trouble with other dogs and with the neighbors who do not appreciate his antics. Therefore early training is essential; if you wait too long, his rambunctious character and strong body will be difficult to manage. To avoid training problems and grease the skids of your relationship, take your Lab pup to puppy and basic obedience classes a to teach manners, and keep up this good citizen training for the life of the dog.

MagicForPets
11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Thank you very much! :)

Giselle
11-05-2006, 03:01 AM
A dog that is rather easy to train- and not to challenging to train. From my prospective a dog that is hard to train is a dog that doesn't get an idea of what I am telling it what to do after a few days... the dog doesn't need to know the command 100% but get the idea after a few days.
On the contrary, I like to avoid easily trainable dogs. Easily trainable dogs such as the Labrador require constant mental and physical activity. They thirst for learning and their goal in life is to please you (usually through tricks). Therefore, you'll have to keep up with your Lab's enormous drive to learn and please by teaching them new tricks and providing a wide range of activities like dog sports such as agility, flyball, rally-o, competitive obedience, etc.

Also, most dogs "get it" after a few days of proper training. I got my Greyhound to Down in a matter of a few minutes, and greys tend to be regarded as "stupid" dogs. One trainer even said they had brains the "size of a pea" - yikes.

Labs are also very people friendly dogs. They were bred to interact successfully with humans and to regard them as partners. I'm surrounded by Labs and Goldens in my neighborhood, and, to be honest, they bond with everybody, which happens to be a very endearing aspect ;) While most dogs bond specially with one person, Labs tend to be more gregarious than other dogs. Of course, as long as you are the primary caretaker of the dog, s/he will treat you more special anyways. I wish you luck in your search for the perfect dog!

dab_20
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
How much time are you willing to devote to exercise? Exercise is a big part of keeping your dog healthy and happy, and labs need alot of it. They may become destructive from not having enough exercise. Like others said, Labs pretty much bond with everyone. If you are the primary care-giver, then I'm sure your dog will become close with you.

If you decide to get a lab, or any other dog, good luck!