PDA

View Full Version : Kersey got her CGC today!

AdoreMyDogs
06-08-2002, 05:09 PM
My new baby girl is now CGC certified :) She passed the exam with flying colors and I am so proud of her! Sorry to brag, I am just so proud of her. She's such a good dog and she's been such a gem to train. I very much look forward to continuing her education and getting her some more titles. Thanks for letting me brag about my pretty Kersey girl.

AmberLee
06-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Congratulations to you both! Sounds like you both put in a lot of study time.

So glad your hard work paid off.

mugsy
06-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Yeah!! Congrats to both of you!

Rachel
06-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Wow, that was quick! Good girl Kersey and good work, Mom! You two make quite a team.

Karen
06-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Good for you! Both of you! What are your future plans for her? Agility? Therapy work? Just plain fun? In anycase, the CGC is a good first step toward a happy doggie life!

Logan
06-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Wonderful news, Leslie!!!!! That Kersey is a quick study!!! :D

Hugs to Graham and Kersey from us!!! :)

lizbud
06-08-2002, 07:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KERSEY & LESLIE !!!

Very well done. Please feel free to brag all you want ,
you both have earned it.:D :D :D

KYS
06-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Way to GO!
A big congratulations on getting a CGC.
You have every right to BRAG!! :)

kobieeli
06-08-2002, 08:42 PM
I am so impressed....two shelter dogs turned into Good Citizens! :D Great work!

AdoreMyDogs
06-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Good for you! Both of you! What are your future plans for her? Agility? Therapy work? Just plain fun? In anycase, the CGC is a good first step toward a happy doggie life!

Thanks everyone :) I plan on furthering her obedience and at least getting her CD title next, although she's not ready for that yet. We are signed up for intermediate obedience class and we are going to go to the advanced and possibly further, depending on what our finances look like. Her school is absolutely wonderful but it's a bit expensive so I asked my husband, mom and brothers for more obedience classes for my birthday :) My mom said she dosen't want to buy Kersey a present for my birthday, but it's a gift to me because I love training and she's a super fast and super smart dog. She's a pleasure to work with.

I will try out agility, I am signed up for a class now and the first week starts Monday (granted it dosen't rain). We were supposed to have our first agility class last Monday but it was canceled due to thunder storms and the class is held outdoors. If she likes agility then I'll see if I can get her any titles in it. I think after she gets over her fear of the obsticles she'll be great, but she does have some minor fear issues that Graham never showed and so she may not take to agility as quick as he did. I'll keep at it and hopefully she'll be great.

I don't know about therapy work. I think she may be good but there are certain people the she's just plain timid of, and I can't find a connection as to who she shys away from and who she immediately loves. I think she's still young and she needs some more confindence so agility and more obedience will help me determine if she'd be a good therapy dog. I also do therapy with Graham and that's kind of our "special thing" so I don't know if I want to take that special thing away from Graham. I may just stick with obedience and agility for now.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :) I have alot of plans for Kersey and I am determined to follow through with them. As always, I will keep you posted on her progress when we progress with her obedience and she starts working towards her CD. :) I love her SOOO much. I am absolutely thrilled that I got her. I think I did a really, really good job of picking her, as I did with Graham :) I feel really lucky.

Kfamr
06-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Congratulations to you and Kersey. You must be a proud Momma to have TWO Smartee Pups!

*LabLoverKEB*
06-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Congratulations, Kersey, and Mom!!! Way to go!!!:) ;) You must be soooo proud of her!

P.S.: Where can you get the CGC test??

anna_66
06-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Congrats to the both of you!
What an accomplishment! I know I felt the same way when Roxey got hers, you have every right to brag on your smart baby, and yourself for that mater!:D :D

tatsxxx11
06-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Good job Kersey and Leslie! A HUGE congrats from all of us here!! Wow, that was fast!:) You must be so proud, as are all of us! Graham and Kersey, what a pair! Hugs and kisses to you sweetie!!

Albea
06-09-2002, 11:50 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p4e3fdc856000f03071f6455f5d447e94/fdd35341.gif KERSEY, WHAT A SMART PUP YOU ARE!!! YOU'VE MADE YOUR MOM SO PROUD!!!

06-09-2002, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes: I feel rather stupid now , but as I do not know much about dogs , I am not familiar with the trem "CGC-test" .
Is that some kind of obedience -training ????:confused:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Cincy'sMom
06-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Congratulations Kersey!!! What quick learner you are!!!!

Lut- CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen. It is a ten-step test dogs can take to show they are responsibly trained...things like walking nicely through a crowd, greeting stangers in a friendly way, not lunging or growling at other dogs. I know there was a thread that explained it better when Anna's Roxey passed the test a few months ago.

AdoreMyDogs
06-10-2002, 06:26 AM
Lut, it's a lower lever obedience title and here is what we had to go through:Canine Good Citizen (http://www.akc.org/love/cgc/testprocedures.cfm)

Thank you everyone for the congrats. Kersey also says thanks :) She's blushing :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Congrats, Kersey! You really are a quick learner!

lizbud
06-10-2002, 03:51 PM
Leslie,

I'm glad to hear that you & Graham get to share special time
together doing therapy work. Congrats again to Kersey girl
on her accomplishments. I think they are lucky poochies to
have such wonderful folks like you & Dan.:D

jennifert
06-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Congrats Leslie and Kersey!

Wow! I just reviewed what the dogs have to do to pass and realized that Duncan would never make it!! He would definitely fail #1, 3, 8 and 10.

Here are the ones Duncan would not pass at this time, if ever:

Test Item 1: Accepting a friendly stranger

This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural, everyday situation. The evaluator walks up to the dog and handler and greets the handler in a friendly manner, ignoring the dog.

The evaluator and handler shake hands and exchange pleasantries. The dog must show no sign of resentment or shyness, and must not break position or try to go to the evaluator.

Duncan doesn't do well wiith people trying to shake my hand, especially if they don't acknowledge him first.

Test Item 3: Appearance and grooming

This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so. It also demonstrates the owner's care, concern and sense of responsibility.

The evaluator inspects the dog to determine if it is clean and groomed. The dog must appear to be in healthy condition (i.e., proper weight, clean, healthy and alert). The handler should supply the comb or brush commonly used on the dog. The evaluator then softly combs or brushes the dog, and in a natural manner, lightly examines the ears and gently picks up each front foot.

It is not necessary for the dog to hold a specific position during the examination, and the handler may talk to the dog, praise it and give encouragement throughout.

At the vet's office, they have to examine him in the other room because he won't let them near him if I'm there. He does fine once I'm out of the equation.

Test Item 8: Reaction to another dog

This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of 20 to 30 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.

Test Item 10: Supervised separation

This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like, "Would you like me to watch your dog?" and then take hold of the dog's leash. The owner will go out of sight for three minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness.

I guess Duncan and I had better get to work!!! ;) :( :o

Rottie
06-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Congratulations!!! :)

jackiesdaisy1935
06-10-2002, 08:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS to Kersey and to you Leslie for taking her so far in such a short time.
You sure do have two wonderful pups and they have a great Mom.
Hugs and Kisses to both Graham and Kersey.
Miss Daisy, Perry and Jackie

Sudilar
06-11-2002, 08:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Shiloh would flunk the people part. She greets most humans as her long lost friend!! LOL
She would flunk the dog part. She greets some dogs as her long lost enemies!!

Gotta love her!!

ramanth
06-11-2002, 09:53 AM
CONGRATULATIONS LESLIE AND KERSEY!!!

I can't wait to meet the two Smart Pups in person! :D