PDA

View Full Version : Correct USA adresses?

Randi
11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
While my connection is up :rolleyes: :mad: I thought I'd ask you how you write an address correctly in USA. I'm doing a merge from Excel to Word, making labels.

In the UK, it's common to write an address like this, I think:

Name
Address, County
Postcode, City
Country

... but in USA, you have State as well as County, right? Does State go on a separarte line, and is it needed at all? - as you have State (eg. CA) in front of the Postcode already.

caseysmom
11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
This is our format:

Name
street number street name
city, state zip code

so

John doe
2222 White street
Los Angeles, CA 22222

RedHedd
11-03-2006, 04:11 PM
This is our format:

Name
street number street name
city, state zip code

so

John Doe
2222 White Street
Los Angeles, CA 22222
Yup, what she said. States are all two-letter abbreviations. You can always go to the U.S. Postal Service website for more info
http://www.usps.gov

borzoimom
11-03-2006, 08:00 PM
and if there is PO ( post office box ) it looks like this:
Name
P.O. box 1234
City, state zipcode

GoldenLuv
11-03-2006, 09:16 PM
and if there is PO ( post office box ) it looks like this:
Name
P.O. box 1234
City, state zipcode

yuppers

borzoimom
11-04-2006, 06:41 AM
yuppers
I am a retired Postal Supervisor of Distribution.. lol..

Randi
11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I take it that most P.O. are using machines to read the info on the envelope, so I thought that the postcode had to be put before the city name, like in Europe. Thank you all! :)

borzoimom
11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Its called a DBCS and yes it reads it, but does better if they are on their right lines.. ie the postal code should be on the bottom to the right of the address..

Lady's Human
11-04-2006, 09:40 PM
OCR's, DIOSS, and AFCS's read the written address, interpret it, and resolve a zip. the ZIP( Zone improved postal code) is sprayed onto the mailpiece as a barcode.

DB's just read the barcode (Delivery Bar Code Sorter)

borzoimom
11-05-2006, 06:17 AM
OCR's, DIOSS, and AFCS's read the written address, interpret it, and resolve a zip. the ZIP( Zone improved postal code) is sprayed onto the mailpiece as a barcode.

DB's just read the barcode (Delivery Bar Code Sorter)
Not in primary sort. I didnt want to list the process- just the end result of final destination.
After taking the letters getting them in facing all the same way through the collection machines, then it goes through a OCR which reads the address and sprays the bar code on the letter. Then it goes through the ISS which sorts it- if it cant it goes back through the LMLM ( pronounced lim lim") machine to re be read. If it fails it goes to manual operations. If it does read it, it goes back to the ISS then to the DBCS for foreign operations. ( I worked in a facility that we processed foreign mail as we were associated with the INternational airport..) This seperates it by country, then sent out. ON the receiving end, it goes through another DBCS to process to city under operation 891 then for street delivery to either two pass sort or single..

vinjashira
11-05-2006, 07:53 AM
In the UK, it's common to write an address like this, I think:

Name
Address, County
Postcode, City

Actually in the UK it normally goes like this

Name
Address
City
County
Post Code