PDA

View Full Version : A bit depressing... But I'm curious...

GreyhoundGirl
11-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I asked my mom the other day, "If I died, would you keep Jenny?"

Sort of depressing, but if I go first, I want to make sure she's OK. The answer I got was "Hmmmmm..... Maybe." Which basically means "No, but I don't want to make you feel bad." My parents love Jen and all, but they don't like all the work she makes, I'm the only one who'll put the time into her every day.

My parents feed and walk her when I'm not around, but they wouldn't want to do it everyday. And my parents don't have time to walk her before school.

So, if you died would your parents/hubby keep your pets?

Husky15
11-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure my parents would keep them. Belle is like my mom and dad's favorite so there is no question there, and as for Bobo, well he is my sister's favorite so they definitely would, CC is my cat, but my mom loves him and he doesn't really do anything to bother them, so I can see them keeping him. The only ones I question are my budgie, Elliot, and my crawfish, Zoidberg. But I have a feeling they would keep them because my mom loves birds and when I'm away she looks after him just great and loves to whistle to him in his cage. The one that would go before any of them though would be my crawfish, Zoidberg. But my sister or father would most likely take over taking care of her - they're the major fish lovers in the family. But then again I can't say for sure.

CathyBogart
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
DBF says he would take care of my pets, unless he actually wasn't able to care for them. :)

Miss Z
11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I hope that my parents would take care of Tia, I think they would know that I would want her to have a good life.

elizabethann
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure my sister would take Fenway. I think he would adjust after awhile but I think he would miss me very much at first.

As for my cats, Maxie would die without me so I'm not sure where he would go. I think both Maxie & Cosmo (the cats) would go to my Mom's. I think Cosmo would adjust (he may even be happier at my Mom's) but Maxie is my right arm and I know he would miss me terribly (just thinking about it makes me cry).

I actually have a $50 gift certificate to a lawyer who specializes in Pet Wills.

I need to have a serious conversation with my sister & Mom and ask them if they would take my animals.

My sister has a very old Lab. She's said that if she or her husband die, they left instructions to put the Lab to sleep. He could never adjust to another family and he's on his last legs. He would be very confused and probably wander off anyway.

It's sad to think of these things, but you just never know. Good thread.

animal_rescue
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Maggie definitely but I would be afraid that Roxie would go if I had passed. However I do have friends in Chicago that promised they would take her if anything happened to me and I don't have to worry about the other pets since they are considered family pets.

Argranade
11-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I realy don't like the though of it but ....

Yes my parent's would watch over my pets for me, my mom is always helping me out with my pigeons and such .. she just adores them same goes for all the rest, im the one who actualy got my mom into animals. :)

Altho my dad just like's to watch or hold them ... :rolleyes: lol.

Donnaj4962
11-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I have it all worked out with my best friend that she will take my girls. If she cannot keep them herself, she would find the best homes for them. This was arranged several years ago, and now she is married to a guy with severe cat allergies. So, I know that she would find them the best homes. I just cannot imagine that she would choose a man over my precious fur babies! :rolleyes:

I trust her to do what I would want done.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-03-2006, 03:42 PM
They'd definitely keep Tango, as she's just as much a part of the family as the other dogs (who all belong to them). However, if I'm living on my own someday (which I will be) and I got another dog, chances are very high that they'd rehome it if something happened to me. Reasons being because the breeds I love do not fit into their lifestyle at all, and they have no desire to own any of the breeds that I will have.

critter crazy
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Hubby would take care of my dog and cat, and my aunt would take, the bunnies, chickens, turtles and fish.

GreyhoundGirl
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Come to think of it, my grama would probably happily get Jen. She's in love with her (who isn't??? :D ) and she walks everyday, she does live in the city though... Jen really likes her, too. Yep, I think Jen's future (if I'm not in it ) would lie with Grama. (and tripod... Not sure how that would work... :p )

borzoimom
11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
We are actually have our pets in our will. If either died, the spouse would keep them, in the event of both of our demise, we have it set up where they would go to care for them the rest of their lives.

Chilli
11-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I know Frisk & Khaith would stay with my parents.. as both adore them.
Norri would probably be taken by my parents, also, as he isn't very demanding.
Don, on the other hand, needs alot of attention. He doesn't really like anyone else but me.. so I don't know. :/ Maybe my sister could get him to like her.
The rats & rodents would go to my sister, but my dad promised me he could take care of them if he needed to.
The fish. Well. I don't even know. My sister has managed to kill just about every fish under her care(has bad luck with them). Maybe my dad could handle them.

flamepony12
11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
My parents would definitely keep all of them. (:

Suki Wingy
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
you bet they would! My mom did say though not to tell anyone Niņo's probably part pit bull because if they acted BSL here and someone accused Niņo of being part, they'd give him away! :mad: :eek: :( That was a bad surprize!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-03-2006, 07:03 PM
So, if you died would your parents/hubby keep your pets?My husband and I actually had this very discussion recently. He said that he'd never give up any of the animals. I told him that I wouldn't expect him to keep all of them though, it wouldn't be fair to him or the animals.

He wouldn't ever consider giving up the dogs or the cats, they would absolutely all stay with him. The reptiles are his responsibility to take care of anyway, so he'd keep them too.

I told him I would want him to find good homes for my birds and rodents though. I take care of them and they are a lot of work and he wouldn't have the time to care for them properly. He has a great relationship with a couple of the birds and he'd probably keep them, but the others I'd rather go to a home that could better care for them in my absence. My cockatoo, Baby, hates men and only tolerates Justin to begin with, she'd never be happy with him.

cyber-sibes
11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I've never asked my hubby, but I'm sure he would. He always describes our "family" as the two of us and our siberians. He loves them dearly. If something happened to both of us, I don't know...Sherman's breeder says he is ALWAYS, for life, welcomed to come back to them if need be. They take bringing a puppy into this world very seriously. If my sons had a place to keep Star, one of them would take her in a heartbeat. Hopefully if this ever happens, they'll be in their own places. I'd prefer Star and Sherman stay together, but I know that may not be possible. :(

*LabLoverKEB*
11-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Absolutly.

jackie
11-04-2006, 03:06 AM
I have told my mother that if I die, I would want the dogs and Oliver shipped to her right away. I feel very very anxious at the thought of my pets being left alone.

finn's mom
11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure my boyfriend would keep Finn. But, if he didn't, I know my parents would in a heartbeat. My dad absolutely loves Finn and misses him very much. There are several other people I know who'd take him if that ever happened, but, I don't know that anyone but my parents and David would continue the raw diet with him and that's important to me. :)

sirrahved
11-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't think hubby would keep the birds. But definitely everyone else.

IRescue452
11-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I know my mom would keep Autumn. I occasionally think about leaving Autumn with her when I move someday. My mom needs our pets to keep her going each day. But she will hopefully have her own dog then and won't need mine to keep her company.

wolf_Q
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
My parents have always said they would keep Nebo. I don't think they would keep the betta. When I get my own place and get more pets I'm not sure how likely it is they would keep them....definitely not any cats as my dad is allergic, and they really don't like having more than one or two dogs. :rolleyes: So just Nebo. If I ever get married I would like to think my husband would love my pets as much as I do so he would keep them...

Samantha Puppy
11-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Josh would probably keep her, as he is my husband and she is our dog. But I have let him and my parents know that in the event of my death, he should have no problems letting my parents take her as she deserves to be doted upon and I'm not sure Josh would have the time to do that with raising Aidan alone. Either way, she'll be well taken care of.

Zippy
11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Yes my parents would keep them all.They would know that I would want them too.

Joannie
11-06-2006, 08:08 AM
In my will I put specific instructions for my pets,so I hope they are carried out.