PDA

View Full Version : Riddles!

Tralee
11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I will post the answers in a few days. You can post your guesses in this thread. Please don't change your answers after you post it.
Good Luck!

1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it?

2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible?

3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth?

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible?

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story?

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year?

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills?

9. A farmer has 17 sheep and all but 9 die. How many are left?

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer.

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not?

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible?

16. A butcher in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh?

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

19. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

20. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

21. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching! Good Luck!

Catty1
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it?

2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible?

Mount Everest

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible?

She lives in the Southern Hemisphere.

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story?

No one called it “World War 1” til much later.

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills?

Once. After that, it is not 25 any more.

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer.

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not?

Penguins live in Antarctica, South Pole.

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?

Neither. The yolk of the egg IS yellow!

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?

There is no such town.

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible?

The other was the mother!

Meat! And if he backs into the meat grinder, he gets a little “behind” in his work.

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

19. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

20. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

21. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching! Good Luck!

Tralee
11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
And if he backs into the meat grinder, he gets a little “behind” in his work.

LMAO :D

Karen
11-02-2006, 08:48 PM

3. Mount Everest - it was always there!

4. She lives in the Southern Hemisphere

5. They didn't call it World War I until much later

6. "and"

7. Every year

8. Because there's 1 more in 1990 than 1989

9. 9

10. Once, then it's not 25 anymore.

11. "one-word"

12. Because penguins live on the opposite end of the earth - the Anarctic

13. Neither - the yolk is yellow.

14. Wooden legs cannot be used to take pictures, you need a camera.

15. The other was the mother!

16. Cuts of meat

I'll do the rest later, pizza calls!

Cookiebaker
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I haven't read through all of them, but I got a few. I will add to Catty's answers in red

Mount Everest

She lives in the Southern Hemisphere.

No one called it “World War 1” til much later.

there is Christmas and New Year's in the same year, EVERY YEAR!

because $1,990 is more valuable than $1,989!!!

I disagree. If all BUT 9 die, that means there are 9 left!!

Once. After that, it is not 25 any more.

Penguins live in Antarctica, South Pole.

Neither. The yolk of the egg IS yellow!

There is no such town.

The other was the mother!

Meat! And if he backs into the meat grinder, he gets a little “behind” in his work.

the room full of dead lions because they starved to death 3 years ago!

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow

Pembroke_Corgi
11-02-2006, 09:09 PM
It was very hard to answer without sneaking a peek at other answers. Here's what I thought, though!

1. ?

2. Perhaps the child was born before there was a "United States."

3. Mount Everest was still the highest, though undiscovered.

4. She was born in the southern hemisphere!

5. At the time of WWI, they would not have knowledge of WWII, so there wouldn't be a "I" on the sword.

6. ?

7. Every year!

8. ?

9. 9

10. Infinately- if you go into negative numbers. :)

11. I'm not so great at rearranging letters- it would take me way too long!

12. No clue!

13. "The yolk of the egg is white"

14. I don't know- maybe they don't have any cameras!

15. One person is a man, the other is a woman. They are the parents of the child.

16. Meat.

17. The room with the lions. They would surely be dead. :(

18. I don't know...maybe he's undead. :P

19. ?

20. Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

21. ?

Sirrahsim
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Riddles!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will post the answers in a few days. You can post your guesses in this thread. Please don't change your answers after you post it.
Good Luck!

3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth? Mount Everest

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible? She was born south of the equator

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story? It was called "The Great War" back then

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year? every year

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills? because 1990 dollars are worth $1,990 and 1989 dollars are worth $1,999

9. A farmer has 17 sheep and all but 9 die. How many are left? 9

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25? once

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not? penguins don't lay eggs

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"? neither, the yolk of the egg is yellow

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not? there are no one legged men in that city, or that isn't a city

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible? uhoh, someone needs to talk with their wife :D

16. A butcher in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh? meat

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be? they were playing a video game of some sort

19. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away? the head of a match

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it? A coffin. (I've heard this one before, which is the only reason I know the answer..)

Maybe the child was born before the US was around? I don't know..

Mount Everest of course - It was always around, just wasn't discovered yet.

She lives in a place where south of the equator and summer is in 'our' winter months.

World War 1 wasn't called WWI until after WWII, as they didn't realize there would be a second one.

"And"

They're always in the same year. You celebrate both once a year, but New Years is at the beginning and Christmas is at the end.

I have no idea..

9. A farmer has 17 sheep and all but 9 die. How many are left?9, because all of them except 9 died.

Just once, as after you subtract it the first time, you no longer have 25.

"One word"?

I have no idea..I don't know much about Penguins.

Niether...the yolk is yellow.

You'd need a camera to take the picture, as you can;t take a picture with a wooden leg.

They were a married couple?..I don't really know though.

Meat..

The lions, as they can't possibly live 3 years without eating..

No idea...

No idea...

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow..

No idea...

Lol...some of those are really weird.

Soapets
11-02-2006, 10:49 PM
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it? stock?

3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth? It doesn't matter whether or not it had been discovered. The highest mountain on Earth is the highest mountain on Earth, regardless of whether or not anyone is aware of it.

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible? She lives where it is summer in December.

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story?Germany wasn't involved in WW1, and/or it wasn't called WW1 at the time.

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth? "and"

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year? January 1st and December 25th of every year since Christmas has been celebrated!

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills? There is one more in 1,990 of them than in 1,989 of them!

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25? As often as you want to.

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer. one word

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not? There aren't any natives of the Arctic.

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"? Neither--yolks aren't white!

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not? Wooden legs don't take pictures, cameras do.

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible? The other was the mother.

16. A butcher in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh? Meat

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him? The third one. If the lions haven't eaten for three years, they're dead!

20. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? yesterday, today, tomorrow

There are no words with the letter "e" in them!

dogzr#1
11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it? Umm...?

2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible? Another Umm...

3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth? As others have said, it was always the highest mountain on earth, regardless if someone discovered it or not.

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible? She lives where it is summer in December.

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story? It wasn't called World War I yet

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth? "and"

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year? Every year. We celebrate New Years at the beginning of the year, and Christmas at the end of that same year

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills? There is one more in 1,990 of them than in 1,989 of them!

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25? Once because after that, it isn't 25 any more. It goes down to 20, then 15 and so on.

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer. one word

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not? Penguins don't live in the Artic...? I'm not to knowledgable in the area of birds.

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"? Neither! The yolk is yellow!

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not? You can't take a picture with a wooden leg. You should try using a camera ;)

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible? The other was the mother.

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him? The third one. If the lions haven't eaten for three years, they're dead!

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?She took a picture of him. She 'shot' him with her camera, put the picture of him in the water to develop and hung the picture up to dry.

19. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away? Coal

20. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? yesterday, today, tomorrow

There is no letter 'e' in it.

Miss Z
11-03-2006, 09:32 AM
1. A coffin

2. Perhaps the child is a native American? Not sure on this

3. Mount Everest was still the highest!

4. She lives in the southern hemisphere

5. It was called 'The Great War' before the second world war

6. LOL, thought about this one, then eventually borrowed the answer...*smacks head* DUH!!! :p

7. Always are in the same year

8. Because $1990 is worth more than $1989!

9. 9 sheep

10. Once to get 20, you then don't have 25

11. One word!

12. Penguins don't live in the Arctic!

13. Yolks are orange

14. A wooden leg will not take photos

15. I guess they were a father and a mother...

16. He weighs meat

17. The third room because the lions are dead

18. The woman was a photographer (heard this one before)

19. Borrowed this one too (oh the shame :o ) a matchstick

20. Yesterday, today and tomorrow

21. There are no letter 'e's in the whole paragraph

That was really fun! I run a puzzle club at my school with my friends so I love doing this sort of thing :D

BitsyNaceyDog
11-03-2006, 06:47 PM
My husband loves riddles, so most of these I knew, but he helped me with some that I didn't know. Two of them stumped both of us.

1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it? A coffin

2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible? He was born before it was the United States

3. Before Mount Everet was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth? Mount Everest

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible? She lives in the southern hemisphere

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story? It was called the Great War until after the second world war

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth? the word "and"

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year? every year

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills? there's one more dollar

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25? once

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer. One Word

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not? Penguins don't live in the arctic

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"? neither are correct, the yolk is yellow

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not? You can only take a picture with a camera The other was the mother

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible? The other was the mother

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him? The third room, the lions are dead

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be? She shot a photograph, then developed it, then hung it to dry

flamepony12
11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it? A coffin

2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible? He was born before the entire country was colonized and named?

3. Before Mount Everet was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth? Mount Everest

4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible? She lives in the southern hemisphere

5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion "Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story? It was called the Great War until after the second world war

6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth? the word "and"

7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year? Every year

8. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills? There's one more dollar

10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25? As often as you want

11. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer. One Word

12. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not? Penguins don't live in the arctic/there are no Natives there

13. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"? Neither are correct, the yolk is yellow

14. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not? You can only take a picture with a camera

15. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the International Home Show," One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible? The other was the mother

17. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him? The third room, the lions are dead if they haven't eaten in three years

18. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be? She shot a photograph, then developed it, then hung it to dry

19. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away? coal

21. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching! Good Luck! there is no letter "e" in the paragraph.

I think those are all the answers.. :)

Tralee
11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
ANSWERS:
1. A coffin.

2. The child was born before 1776.

3. Mount Everest (it just hadn't been discovered).

4. Clara lives in the southern hemisphere.

5. World War I wasn't called "World War I" until World War II.

6. The word "and".

7. They fall in the same year every year. New Year's Day just arrives very early in the year and Christmas arrives very late in the same year.

8. One thousand nine hundred and ninety dollar bills are worth one dollar more than one thousand nine hundred and eighty-nine dollar bills.

9. Nine.

10. Only once, and then you are subtracting it from 20.

11. "One word"

12. Penguins live in the Antarctic.

13. Neither. The yolk of the egg is yellow.

14. You have to take a picture of a man with a camera, not with a wooden leg.

15. They were husband and wife.

16. Meat.

17. The third. Lions that haven't eaten in three years are dead.

18. The woman was a photographer. She shot a picture of her husband, developed it and hung it up to dry.

19. Charcoal

20. Sure you can: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow!

21. The letter "e," which is the most common letter in the English language, does not appear once in the long paragraph.

GreyhoundGirl
11-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Just gotta say Thank-You. We had a supply teacher in class who asked us a bunch of these. He probably thought I was a mind-reader because he said:

"A murderer is condemmed to"

I raise my hand and shout third room

He gives me a stunned look and says "why?"

"because the lions starved to death 3 years ago"

That'll show him, Muh ha ha ha ! He must've wondered how I knew the answer brfore he even asked the question.

(:D But an evil :D )