PDA

View Full Version : Grooming License??

coco-bean
11-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Is it possible to bathe dogs without a license and charge money for it? I am opening my own business and an option i am thinking about giving is, a bath/brush sorta thing! just curious! thanks!

borzoimom
11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Is it possible to bathe dogs without a license and charge money for it? I am opening my own business and an option i am thinking about giving is, a bath/brush sorta thing! just curious! thanks!
yes you can.. YOu need a local business license, easily done at the town office for operating a business.. Easy ...
and hottie needs a good blow out.. are you coming Virginia, near Shenandoah, I will come to your shop... lol..

Giselle
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
To be honest, a bath/brush type of joint won't hold out very long if you don't keep learning new grooming techniques and apply them to certain breeds like Poodles and Lowchens, etc. You'd be better off working as an apprentice to a licensed and experienced groomer because experienced groomers often look for younger apprentices to do the laborious work of preparing the dogs. The groomers then clip the dogs. This way, you'll gain invaluable experience and a rather good pay. You can even take over the business and/or take partial ownership. You may even start your own successful business with a ready list of regular clients!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-02-2006, 10:43 PM
You can, but I don't think you're going to be payed very much for a bath and a brush. I could do that to my dog at home quickly and easily. If ever I take Tango to the groomers, I expect them to tidy her up and trim wherever needed. I agree with everything Sophie (Giselle) said. Good luck! :)

Corinna
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Better check with your local laws each city has it's own rules.

BC_MoM
11-03-2006, 12:42 AM
You don't NEED a lisence - if you're doing it home based. You're really not "starting a business". You're just doing this to get some extra money, by doing something you don't mind doing.

I suggest you get some good quality shampoo if you plan on doing this. I reccomend picking some oatmeal shampoo up from your local vet (about $14 a bottle - but smells very good and is very mild on your dogs skin :)).

wolfsoul
11-03-2006, 01:03 AM
You just need a business license. :) You can make alot of money just doing bath and points, but you have to remember that there isn't a large market for them. Most people will only bring in a large bath and points dog in a few times a year -- so you may get alot of customers at first, but they will start to run out and then you won't have alot of business until they need their next groom.

It'd be a fine part time job, just not something to rely on. We charge between 32-37 for something like a lab, 40 and up for a golden (we've charged a much as $65 for a golden), etc. So you can see how you can definatly make money doing it. Just remember that you have your expenses -- shampoo, conditioner, blowdriers, cage dryers, crates, nail clippers, scissors, deshedding tools, brushes, combs, mat breakers, ear cleaner, perfume, nooses, treats, etc. Then there's the water bill, washing the mountains of towels, the liabilities of parasites, etc. My boss spends over $1000 a month on shampoo. It's alot harder than it looks. But if you are only looking to throw in a dog for a bath and points here and there, so much easier.

borzoimom
11-03-2006, 04:31 AM
Very good wolfsoul- the expenses or start up costs can be extensive. It took a month of grooming to pay for what I bought to get going.. Not to mention, while some people use a groomer to handle thicker coats with good driers etc, the fact is some use the groomers to groom the problem dogs.. You know the type- the type that try to bite when you do nails etc..