PDA

View Full Version : Hank is sick

buttercup132
11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
He keeps getting diarreha (sp?) and just not being his normal self.
We took him off his wet food for now (he got a table spoon in the morning
and a table spoon at night) of Mericks wet kitten food.
Its weird though because most days hes fine and then some days he has the runs and latley hes been trying to go to the bathroom outside of his litter box:confused: If it dosent clear up after taking him off his food then were going to take a trip to the vet.

kimlovescats
11-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Kittens can dehydrate from diarrhea really quickly. Wet food shouldn't make him that sick. I advise getting him to a vet ASAP!

buttercup132
11-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Ok thank you
Dose anyone know what it could be?
My mom seems to think worms but there is none in his poo
I just showed my mom what you said and she said he dosen actually have
diareha just really smelly poo wich is kind of runny but not completly like
water. She said that hes just been having a upset tummy too and a bit
constipated.

MBones
11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Buttercup, my kitty Abby had the same symptoms-runny and "goopy" (not at all firm) poo, extremely stinky and she was definately going outside the litter box because it became evident from the smell that it had happened. I got her into the vet right away and it turned out she was dehydrated, and had a viral infection and some other digestive malady, the name which escapes me. She was about 4.5 months old at the time.

She ended up getting a sub-q treatment to hydrate her as well as an antibiotic and stool hardener, plus she got wormer treatment in order to stop them from developing. After a week or so, she was much better.

Dehydration can weaken kittens quickly and their immune systems aren't as developed so they do not have the reserves of older cats. You can take a look at his gums and if they are not a rosy pink and wet, he is dehydrated. If his gums are tacky to the touch, he is dehydrated. I learned this the hard way as we lost a kitten, Nina, this way so please get Hank to a vet. Please let us know how things turn out. He is such a handsome fellow.

Freedom
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Let us know what the vet says?

Argranade
11-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Ooo I hope little Hank will be ok,

I'll say a little prayer for him .....

Laura's Babies
11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Awwwwe! Our little Hank is under the weather?

Tighten up Hank! You are just to cute to be having that problem and worrying your Mommie. Get better soon so you can romp and play like normal and feel like the handsome boy you are!

catmandu
11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Prayers Are Coming From Us All, That Its Only Temporary, And That Hank Will Be All Right.
We Love Hank, And Pray For His Health.

krazyaboutkatz
11-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Hank isn't feeling well.:( I'd also take him to the vet for a check up just to be on the safe side. Kittens can become very sick very quickly. If everything ends up being fine then in the future you can give him a little bit of canned pumpkin in his food and this will help keep his poos much firmer. I hope he gets better soon. Please continue to keep us updated about him.

orangemm
11-04-2006, 06:56 AM
How is Hank?

Miss Z
11-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I really hope Hank will be OK. I think you've got some good advice here, just check with a vet to be on the safe side. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-04-2006, 08:52 AM
When cats poop outside their litterbox, they are always giving you a signal that something is bothering them. Can be fysical or psychologial. But a vet's visit is URGENT!!

rg_girlca
11-04-2006, 01:55 PM
OH NO!!!! Our precious Hank is sick. :( I hope it isn't anything serious.

Whenever my kitties had diarrhea and were otherwise okay, I would mix some baby rice cereal in with their wet food and within a day or two, their diarrhea stopped. But they never went outside the box. You also said that he isn't being his normal self. To me that would mean a trip to the vets to make sure it isn't anything serious.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing and I pray that he feels better real soon.

buttercup132
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
We talked to my grandma and she said the reason why he isnt going in
his litter box is because my mom only cleans the whole thing out every
2 weeks. She said being as cats are such clean animals he didnt want to
go in. He is doing fine now. His poop is back to normal too. He will be
going to the vet for a check up soon anyways because he has to get fixed.
Hes back to his normal crazy self too. Maybe he jus ate something that
he wasnt supposed to and got a tummy ache.

rg_girlca
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Oh I am soooooo relieved to know that Hankie Pie is doing better.
Please give that gorgeous boy of yours and big hug and kiss for me. :)

Your Mom only cleans the litter box out every 2 weeks. :eek:
Don't you help with cleaning the box also? Please, from now on, make sure his box is cleaned EVERY day. That is also important to his health.

buttercup132
11-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Don't you help with cleaning the box also? Please, from now on, make sure his box is cleaned EVERY day. That is also important to his health She cleaned the poo and pee out but not the whole thing like dump out all
the litter and replace it.

catnapper
11-05-2006, 07:48 AM
What type of litter do you use? If its clumping, then cleaning it out every two weeks is fine for one cat. If its the non-clumping litter..... yuck! When I use non-clumping litter, I dump it every other day for one or two kittens. For my adult cats, it would be every day. Thats a hassle so I never use the non-clumping ;)

If its clumping, how often do you scoop it daily? Once? Twice? Some cats don't like to poop where they've already peed (and vice versa) so maybe a second box will help him.

Dorothy39
11-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Buttercup, I'm so glad to learn that your little Hank is doing just fine, and that he is being taken care of sooo well!!!

Oh yes, Litter boxes have to be cleaned out every single day!! :eek: :cool: