PDA

View Full Version : No chin!

ngsmokeye
11-02-2006, 01:35 PM
my little chihuahua i adopted was apparently born with no chin and i was wondering if anyone had heard of or seen this before? i am needing to find out some information on this defect and was hoping someone could help out...thanks

Suki Wingy
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
yes on the old Animal Planet show called Emergency Vets.

sumbirdy
11-02-2006, 02:32 PM
I've never heard of that.

ngsmokeye
11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
i will look into this...thanks!

lvpets2002
11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
:) Wasnt that the story of the Big Dog attacked the wittle dog & bit his chin off.. I used to watch that show all the time..

bluebird
11-02-2006, 07:54 PM
How old is the pup and how does it manage to eat? Is there no chin at all and no bottom teeth, or does the bottom jaw have teeth but is just much shorter than the top jaw?

borzoimom
11-03-2006, 03:50 AM
I agree- they took part of a rib, and made a jaw bone.

Miss Z
11-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Wow, I'd never heard of that :eek:

how does it manage to eat?

I was wondering this too...

dogzr#1
11-03-2006, 09:04 AM
I've never heard of that either! I would love to learn more about this defect though. Is it his entire bottom jaw area that's missing, so he has only his top teeth? Or is half of his bottom jaw missing or what? If so, how does he eat? Well, prayers are being sent for the little guy!

bluebird
11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I've never seen or heard of a dog being born with no chin; though I have heard of dogs being born with extremely overshot jaws. They aren't able to nurse and would have to be tube fed in order to survive.

In all probability, this pup will develop other genetic problems too. What does your vet have to say about it?

Suki Wingy
11-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I remember the rib bone part. I think he just lapped up purre meat with his tongue.

ngsmokeye
11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Well thanks for everyone's concern for Mr. Robbie...he has a chin that's just skin there is no bone at all and he has no teeth...so he has to eat only soft food...and he does really well...I guess that's how he has made it for 11 years so far...but when I am home in the evening I hand feed him, it gives us time to bond and it's alot easier for him than him scooping the food up with his tongue...I will be posting a pic of him so everyone can see what he looks like I know everyone is curious, naturally...If anyone gets the chance to take a look at a web site called Mr. Winkle.com...he also has his tongue hanging out but I don't know the reason for his defect....he was found by a lady on the side of the road...check it out and let me know what you make of it...thanks again everyone...keep me posted, I will too!