PDA

View Full Version : Potter...the murderer...

caseysmom
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Just an update on my recent addition....

Well I haven't had much luck keeping potter from going outside. Last week I caught him killing a rat/mouse in the middle of the night.

This morning I let him in during the middle of the night. After the kids got up my daughter was yelling at him because he was messing with her very expensive shoes... a bit later I looked to see if there was any damage to her shoes and saw feathers scattered about...I tried to find the source..and heard movement in the shoes....

For some reason I thought a mouse must have gotten in her shoe...I was tired...the feather thing didn't click...so I took the shoe outside and banged it on the ground to get the mouse out...out comes a baby bird.

I was in a huge rush to get the kids to the school bus so I covered the bird with a box and left...when I came back it was gone, there was a small hole in the box but I figured it was too injured to escape.

I am so mad at potter, I know thats his instincts but I felt so bad for the bird.

I added potter to my insurance so he has an appointment for a thorough checkup on Tuesday. My dog casey came up with round worm and I am sure that is from her eating potters poop so potter must have them, anyway he is due for his vaccinations.

Reachoutrescue
11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Don't be too mad. He is just doing what nature has tought him. Last summer, my dog, Scruff, brought me a live bird in from outside. I know how you feel. It is hard not to be angry!! I hope your dog is okay...Potter too. Good luck.

caseysmom
11-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Donna...you have missed my posts regarding potter...so here is a review....

My brother died and I took in his daughter, his cat and his fish.

Potter was kept outside for 5 years and sort of ignored...I am not happy about that. My RB gigi was not allowed outside. I have struggled and struggled with potter, he cries endlessly to go out and I don't want him out my neighbors goldens will harm him if he gets over there.

My daughter did nothing wrong, there was no reason to think that after 2 months of him never harming shoes that we need to put them up...and scolding him is what we do when he gets on the kitchen table, etc. We would never hit our pets Donna...I am not sure where that came from..

I am sorry I posted now. jeez I could have taken this cat to rescue he scratchs up everything but I would never do that. I have taken on an enormous burden of selling all my brothers things and everything I am do

moosmom
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Caseysmom,

I am so sorry I upset you. That was not my intention. I've deleted my post and hope you won't hold it against me. :(

Argranade
11-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I could use Potter to get rid of all the rats that are living under the shed,

Sorry about the little bird :( attatch a bell to Potters colar then there is a less chance of this happning again because the mice/birds will hear the bell comming then they'll know to be aware of what it is.

I belive all outdoor cat owners should do this because too many song birds are going.

Maybe you should have kept the baby bird in the house then called a wild life centre or even took it to the vet, just saying cause that's what I would have done but then again im just nuts over birds lol.

caseysmom
11-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Donna, No problem I understand your protectiveness of kitties. I was historically always a cat person, just haven't had one for a while but I still like to be careful with them also.

Argranade, I intended to do what you said but was in a huge rush to get the kids to the bus stop and didn't want the bird in the house with 2 dogs and a cat. I am hoping since he got away he is okay, I saw no visible injuries the bird was scared to death though.

Freedom
11-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Sparkle has caught birds and brought them in several times. Some vets are licensed for wildlife; my vet is not and they get VERY upset when I walk in with the bird. But they send me to the vet down the street who IS licensed, and they treat the bird. Two had to be euthanized, one was rehabilitated and then set free. It didn't cost me a thing. Something to keep in mind if you have a hunter! I think they take mice too, being licensed for wildlife. But the only two mice my cats ever caught, one got away and dashed off and the other was dead when I got to it, so I never had to take one in to the vet.

My cats are INDOOR cats. Sparkle caught one bird when we lived in the apartment, on the third floor! She snatched it out on the balcony and brought it in the cat door! The other times, the cats are out in the back yard with us as we garden. We watch and keep them in the yard, away from cars and any dogs who may be loose, but we are always surprised when they catch a prize!

Just another aspect of cat ownership!

jazzcat
11-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I know it can be upsetting when they kill things. My Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor (she was a stray that showed up and stayed). Anyway, even though she has plenty to eat inside she still goes out to hunt. My Dad likes that she has kept his house mouse free for the past 9 or so years but he gets very upset, as do I, when she brings half an eaten squirrel or bird to the back porch. She always seems so proud. In fact yesterday Dad said he walk outside and almost stepped on a dead mole she brought to him. She's been having fun digging in his garden to catch them.

Try to hang in there. Potter is just doing what comes naturally and what he's probably been very used to.

catmandu
11-02-2006, 06:17 PM
i HAVE FOUND THREE LITTLE MICE ON THE STEPS OF MY PORCH IN THE LAST MONTH, OBVIOUSLY LEFT THERE BY THE PORCH CATS IN GRATITUDE FOR MY FEEDING THEM.
I HATE TO SEE MICE DIE, BUT I DO FEEL FLATTERED THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO THANK ME.
I HOPE POTTER CALMS DOWN, AS HE HAS A TOUCH OF THE FERAL TO HIM.

catmandu
11-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I Have Found Three Little Mice On The Steps Of My Porch In The Last Month, Obviously Left There By The Porch Cats In Gratitude For My Feeding Them.
I Hate To See Mice Die, But I Do Feel Flattered That They Are Trying To Thank Me.
I Hope Potter Calms Down, As He Has A Touch Of The Feral To Him.

Argranade
11-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I, when she brings half an eaten squirrel or bird to the back porch.

:eek: I never knew a cat could kill a squirel!! I always see them chasing them but never knew they would eat them *yuck*.

Pam
11-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I know how you feel. Just recently Bella (my dog!) killed a bird outside and actually thought I was going to let her bring it inside. :eek: :rolleyes:

Last night I opened the back door and a moth flew in. Instantly Trevor was on the job. :) He nabbed that guy almost instantly. Bottom line is that animals are still animals as much as we'd sometimes like to think otherwise. With all of the trouble you have had regarding your brother's passing, etc. I am so sorry you are going through this. I am sure you are thinking enough is enough right now.

Logan
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Argranade, yes, cats will kill and eat squirrels and many other things. Most of the evidence I get is the squirrel kind, though, and it is usually a half of a squirrel (the back end) in my driveway. Thank goodness that doesn't happen very often! :eek: But when you have a cat that goes outdoors it is a risk you take. I do nothing to encourage wildlife in my yard because of my dogs and Butter, but sometimes we have a disaster, anyway. Butter brought a live squirrel inside a few weeks ago, though, so I don't really know which is worse! :(

Logan