PDA

View Full Version : Words

mruffruff
11-02-2006, 07:18 AM
What is the difference between something having "function" and having "functionality"?

There are many words today that seem to be contrived. Is there really a need for these or are they created just to sound more technical?

Blue_Frog
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, how I use them is -

I use a 'function' when talking about something specific about a product or unit (i.e. the function of the PTZ button is to access the settings of the Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera in the following ways ... ).

I use 'functionality' or 'functionalities' when describing a broad range of things on one page, without going into detail. So, as a broad overview of an entire product (i.e. on a page titled 'MODEL #### FUNCTIONALITIES' and a bullet list of some of things that I would like to highlight about the unit.) I also often use 'features' instead of 'functionality' though.

So, something like --

Model ## Functionalities Include:
- Record up to ### hours of real time data
- Motion, Alarm, and Scheduled Recording Types
- Backup of data to USB memory stick or portable HDD

And later into it I would describe how each of the 'functions' works indepth.

I don't know if that helps or makes it more confusing -- i think that using 'functionality' is more of a marketing spin on things though :)

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
How about "signs" and "signage"....another made up word to sound more impressive!

Twisterdog
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
How about "signs" and "signage"....another made up word to sound more impressive!

I swear, all the words that are "...ages" are just silly to me. They always sound so contrived and phony. I think some people don't have enough to do at their jobs. Although I do refer to my children as "The Spawnage." ;)

Here's what the dictionary says:

Main Entry: func·tion·al·i·ty
Pronunciation: "f&[ng](k)-sh&-'na-l&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
: the quality or state of being functional; especially : the particular set of functions or capabilities associated with computer software or hardware or an electronic device

and

Main Entry: 1func·tion
Pronunciation: 'f&[ng](k)-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin function-, functio performance, from fungi to perform; probably akin to Sanskrit bhunkte he enjoys
1 : professional or official position : OCCUPATION
2 : the action for which a person or thing is specially fitted or used or for which a thing exists : PURPOSE
3 : any of a group of related actions contributing to a larger action; especially : the normal and specific contribution of a bodily part to the economy of a living organism
4 : an official or formal ceremony or social gathering
5 a : a mathematical correspondence that assigns exactly one element of one set to each element of the same or another set b : a variable (as a quality, trait, or measurement) that depends on and varies with another <height is a function of age>; also : RESULT <illnesses that are a function of stress>
6 : characteristic behavior of a chemical compound due to a particular reactive unit; also : FUNCTIONAL GROUP
7 : a computer subroutine; specifically : one that performs a calculation with variables provided by a program and supplies the program with a single result

Barbara
11-03-2006, 04:00 AM
technics and technology is another couple like that.

mruffruff
11-03-2006, 07:37 AM
And we wonder why our language is so hard for some to learn!

I think Sara is right; sounds impressive. Probably started by a politician.