PDA

View Full Version : UCSF Canine Behavioral Genetics Study - All Breeds, including mixed

wolf_Q
11-01-2006, 07:34 PM
(re-posted from other forum)

Goals
To explore the relationship between genes and behavior, both normal and
abnormal, in domestic dogs.
To assess the amount and nature of genetic diversity in domestic dogs, both
within and between breeds.

The researchers are looking for purebred or mixed, with behavioral problems
or without. They are trying to get 50 samples per breed though and their
current count can be found at
http://psych.ucsf.edu/K9BehavioralGenetics/DogCount.html

If you want to participate you can ask for a kit (containing swabs for DNA) to mail it in. I sent for one, I think it may be an interesting study.

cyber-sibes
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Does sound interesting. I sent for a kit too.

cali
11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
one of the main people hunting for samples is a BC person.. can ya tell? lol I requested kits ages ago, and I took the samples and forgot they exited and lost them :p so I orderd 4 this time:

1 for Happy because I know they have her relatives on file and aggression runs her in lines.

1 for Blair because agression runs in his breed, though not quite to his extreme..besides scientists like his DNA cuz its funky and does not follow basic genetics lol

1 for Electra cuz they asked for Tollers

1 for Misty cuz well, just cuz :p

K9karen
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I sent for a kit too. One of the doctors, Karen Overall, was RB Cody's shrink! :D :D
Of course, most of the problems were because of ME (although I figured that out myself -ie: who's the alpha) I took him to see her when he was around a year old. He LOVED her assistant instantly and went right over to her (she also had the cheese), but HATED Dr Overall for some reason and hid behind the chair and barked at her!! She certainly got her monies worth with me!! I left her office crying hysterically cause she said Cody was going to be a problem. NOT (ok maybe a smidgen)

IRescue452
11-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I've got to quit looking for nova scotia duck tolling retriever under the letter "T". :D

cloverfdx
11-02-2006, 07:22 AM
That sounds realy interesting, i wish something like that was available over here ;).

cali
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
I've got to quit looking for nova scotia duck tolling retriever under the letter "T". http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

lol I did the same thing! took me a minute to realize that the breed was not going to be listed as "Toller" :p