PDA

View Full Version : Walmart EarPeircings???

*iluvskipper*
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Has anyone gotten their ears pierced at Walmart??? I'm thinking about getting my 2nd lobe piercing and a cartalige one and Walmart is obviously cheaper but should I trust them??? Otherwise a can get it done at Claires for like $30 but I think thats kind of a rip off even though I know they won't screw it up... What do you think?

trayi52
11-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I got a set of holes done at Walmart and it done just fine.

Willie :)

Cookiebaker
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Walmart is the only place that pierces ears around here, and that's where I got mine done. No complaints and no worries!

My suggestion would be to go and check and see who the technician is going to be. If it is some young punk, then I might think twice. But if they seem knowledgable, and experienced then, go for it. Hope that helps! :)

*iluvskipper*
11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Ok thank you guys I think I probaly will go ahead with it sometime soon thanks!

Sirrahsim
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Earlobes are fine at Walmart, they aren't the best but they're fine, but never ever ever ever ever ever ever get your cartilage pierced with a piercing gun like they use at Walmart!!!!!!

Sirrahsim
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Reasons to not use a piercing gun:
No matter how much they reassure you, it is impossible to properly sterilize the gun. The studs will be new, but the gun itself may have bodily fluids splashed on it that can NOT be sterilized properly.
The cartilage of the ear needs extra room to swell that the studs from the gun just don't give, getting cartilage pierced with a gun will give all the nasty bacteria a nice comfy place to snuggle up against your brand new peircing as it gets caught between the cartilage and the stud.

Please don't get your cartilage pierced with a gun. It is a little more expensive to get it done at a real piercing parlor (NOT Claire's), but assuming that the parlor uses the proper sterilizing procedures you will be SO much safer and it will hurt a LOT less :D :D I have been there and a properly autoclaved needle poking a hole through your body hurts a LOT less and is a LOT safer than ANY piercing gun.

I got my cartilage pierced with a gun close to 7 years ago and it STILL bothers me from time to time! If you would like some more resources about the dangers of getting piercings in the cartilage with a gun I can get those for you :)

areias
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree! I don't know anything about walmart piercings, but I got two holes in one ear once with a gun-it hurt like a son of gun. The second hole on the other ear I had done with a needle, and also my tongue, and it didn't hurt half as bad.

Anita Cholaine
11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Before getting a second hole on my ears, I was told not to do it with a gun at all. It seems like it hurts a lot more and there's a bigger chance of getting infections and other nasty diseases, because they can't be cleaned properly. I got mine done with a needle, and it only hurted a little bit.
I want to get my cartilage pierced to... Does anyone know how it takes it to be completely healed? And does it hurt sooo much as they say?? (yep, I'm a bit chicken!)

I didn't know Wal Mart pierced ears. Just tell me what they don't do! :p

buttercup132
11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I agree dont get it done with a gun.
I got into a agrgument the other day with someone who worked at Clairs
there was a sign saying worlds safest ear peircing:rolleyes:
I was talking to my mom and laughed at the fact that it said that and the
lady herd me and said what and I said your not supposed to use a gun for
pericings, she just said whatever and that she used it and shes fine..

binka_nugget
11-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Never, ever, ever, ever get a piercing with a gun.. lobe, cartilage, anything. A gun can't be sterilized properly. With a piercing needle (the safest and IMO least painful way), the needle makes a clean cut through the flesh. With a gun, it's a blunt object (the back of an earring) being forced through your skin. It'll cost more to go to a piercing studio but personally, I'm willing to pay more for a safer method when it concerns an object being forced through my skin. Also, the earrings used in guns aren't the greatest for healing. You should get 316L (surgical stainless steel) at least.. if not 316LVM or titanium.

Sorry.. don't mean to come off as pushy. :p I've been pierced about 20 times.. by guns and needles. I have/had my tongue pierced (3x), back of my neck, various ear piercings, eyebrow, lip, etc.. and the ones that have given me the most trouble were the lobe piercings done by a gun close to 10 years ago.

luvofallhorses
11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
yikes! no way! I get my ears pierced at Claire's. :) I do think they know what they are doing more than people at wal-mart. JMHO :)

BC_MoM
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Ear-piercing at Walmart? :confused: The Walmart that I work at doesn't do it - and I'm glad they don't. Walmart is too cheap to have things done to your body by them.

*PS - I didn't type that! My computer is having problems. ;)

wolf_Q
11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
My earlobes are each pierced twice, both times at wal-mart (it was kind of a random decision and they were closest :o ), and it hurt much worse than I expected (everyone told me you hardly feel it :rolleyes: ). Each one ended up getting infected, and yes I cleaned them as I was supposed to. In the case with the 2nd piercings, one of them repeatedly became infected on a regular basis for months...you'd think I would have given up and just taken them out, but I didn't. They are fine now, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend wal-mart after that...

lizbud
11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I got my ears pierced at Claires & my daughter did too. Never had any
problems either time. :)

critter crazy
11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Even tho i love shopping at Wal-mart, and even Worked there as a manager for 4 years, I would NOT Get my ears pierced there!!!! I have seen the people who work there, and seen how they are trained, i would never trust my body to them! Find a better place please!

Karen
11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I worked at an Earring Tree years ago. We pierced ears with a gun, and everything WAS sterile. The earring were completely contained in a little sterile plastic "cartridge" so human hands never got to touch them. The cartridge was loaded into the gun and only the sterile plastic - and of course the earring inside it - touched the ear. We never had any problems with people coming back with infections, and one of the girls that worked there that summer had me give her another hole every other paycheck - several of them in cartilage.

My ears are not pierced, in case you are wondering. There are metal allergies in my family, and I never saw the point of punching a hole in one's body to hang metal objects from it. But that's just my opinion.

Donnaj4962
11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I have 2 holes in each of my ears, and has them done at Claires. I have never had any problems. Both sets were done with a gun. I have a friend whose daughter recently got her 2nd holes done at Walmart, and has had no problems.

When I got my cartilige pireced, I HAD to go to a tattoo parlor. Indiana has a law that will not allow places that pierce ears to pierce cartilige because of the risk of infection and specialized training that needs to be done. I got mine done for $40.00 ($10.00 more for the piercer's tip) and I have had no problems. He did it with a needle, and it HURT! But it was worth it.

I must, however, caution about breast piercings. There was an article in the paper this past weekend about a girl here in Indiana that had both nipples pierced, and gangrene set in and she has had to have both breasts removed. She is only 18, I believe! She had some sort of medical condition with her blood that caused the gangrene to set in, but the article also indicated that there was concern about the sterility of the needles used. She had it done at a tattoo parlor in Indiana.

ramanth
11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Had my ears pierced three times (lobes twice and once in cartlidge) and all were done at Claire's. :) Never had a problem with infection.

moosmom
11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Please be careful when having your cartalidge done. There's a nerve in the area that, if pierced, can cause permanent hearing impairment. I know, because it happened to me. :(

I'd try the mall. They have kiosks there that advertise free piercings with the purchase of studs. I'd trust them long before I'd trust Wal-Mart.