PDA

View Full Version : dog tags

sanford8916
11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Last week Winchester lost all his dog tags, id, rabies tag and dog licence. I am sure they are in the side yard but there are so many leaves. So I went to the pet store and bought a new one to put back on his collar right away, but I wanted to find something better so this doesn't happen again. So I ordered slide on tags for both dogs, this way we can change them when they get new collars. Does anyone else have these, have you had any problems with them? Both dogs are microchipped too but we can never be to careful when it comes to our babies. These are the ones I ordered Sunday night and they came today. http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=S&ID=22
They look nice and went on the collars easy.

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I also microchip, and they have id tags with their number of AVid on it..

sanford8916
11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Maybe we will put homeagains number on them too! It's probally a good idea that people know they are microchipped so they don't just try and keep them :D Winchester is such a good boy, anyone would want to keep him. Lou Lou is a handful and I am sure they would want to get her out of their house right away! :p

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I keep the avid tag on my keychain, take the number and make new tags and even their numbers are on their therapy tags as well..

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
even my van has a plate that says " microchipped dogs" on it.. nooooooooo kidding. If you ever loose a dog, contact the local vets, the shelter and advertise microchipped dog..

cyber-sibes
11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for including the link. Sherman has pulled all his tags off at least 3 times. He lies down on our deck and they slide between the boards, twist & get stuck, so when he stands up, he pulls himself loose & the tags rip off. My husband drilled small holes at the sides and now I sew them onto his collar flat. I really like that slide on ID. Mine also have microchips.

Kayecee
11-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I have a question about the microchips- I know that if you have your dog microchipped and it winds up at the vet, it can be traced back to you. But what if it doesn't wind up at a vet? Can the dog be tracked via satellite somehow? I know that they can do this with cars if one is stolen. And can I get this done at my vet's office? Thanks.

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
alllllllllllllllllllll pounds have to check for a microchip. Or a groomer if they suspect the dog is stolen.. When I had a pet supply store, and a groomer, the device cost me 900 dollars and used it twice.. Once was worth the money to me..

flowergirl
11-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I came home once and found that Penny's tags were missing. I looked around the backyard for a bit, all the while my hubby is saying "you'll never find them. you're wasting your time."
The next day when i got home from work they were laying on the counter. When hubby got home I asked them where he found them and he said "I didn't. Penny brought them to me." I guess she missed her jingle!!
True Story! I always smile when i think about it. :)

Danegirl2208
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I've been wanting on of those for quite some time! Thanks for the link... My friend has one for his dane, who kept losing her tags, it works great! Thanks again for the link ;)

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
just write down the avid number- and whenever you go to petsmart, make tags... My tags are everyyyyyyyyyyywhere- my keys, the van, the house, on the collars you name it..

wolf_Q
11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
I have a question about the microchips- I know that if you have your dog microchipped and it winds up at the vet, it can be traced back to you. But what if it doesn't wind up at a vet? Can the dog be tracked via satellite somehow? I know that they can do this with cars if one is stolen. And can I get this done at my vet's office? Thanks.

No, a microchip cannot be tracked via satellite. It has to be scanned by a chip reader, that's all it can do. It is good to have in case your dogs collar with tags gets lost. Yes it can be done at a vet's office, I'm sure it varies, but it cost about $30 here.

They do have a product for dogs that is a GPS tracking device that attaches to a collar. They are pricey and I believe you have to pay a monthly fee for the service. I'm not sure if there are others, but here is one device http://www.globalpetfinder.com/

lizbud
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Those tags are a great idea.Maggie has a habit of laying on heating/
cooling vents in the house & getting tags stuck in them.These would be
much easier to change tags as well.

sanford8916
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
You can also check with local animal shelters or resues to see if they plan to do an event and will offer lower cost microchips. My vet charges $45 for the chip and $15 to register it. Winchester got chipped through a resue group for $7 and Lou Lou got chipped at a resue I volunteer at for $17. My local Humane Society just did an event where they offered them for $15. The tags that I ordered from boomarang are great and they were $7.99 a piece and are guarenteed for the life of the dog.