PDA

View Full Version : A Potential Rescue.....

Reachoutrescue
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I know this belongs in Dog Rescue, or Dog General, but I only talk to you guys in Cat General, hope nobody gets mad. Anyway, the pictures below are of Rex, a five month old male American Bulldog. He is currently living with my good friend and her family. His old owner kept him in a garage along with his brother. Well, Rex's brother tore him up. He has wounds all over him, especially his ears. He is also a little under wieght. My friend, Rose, and I feel he was very neglected. The owner gave him to a friend who then gave him to Rose last night. He is very scared and does not seem to know what love is or what a puppy is suppose to act like. She is considering turning him over to me. He is currently on Amox. for infection...which surprises me. At lease the old owner cared a little bit to take hm to the vet. What worries me is the way he walks. He walks with out bending his rear legs and when he sits, he does not bend the rear legs either. I really want to help him. Rose has an autistic child who is 5, a 7 yr old, a 14 yr old, 2 cats, and another dog. She is not sure she can handle Rex or not. At least he is in a loving home right now. I will keep you posted.
Here are his pictures. Sorry that the pictures are blurred. I was in a hurry to snap the pictures before he moved, but he moved anyway.

Isn't Rex cute?
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Oct31_004.jpg

You can see the sores on his poor ears.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Oct31_005.jpg

rg_girlca
10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Awww poor baby. No wonder he is scared. I would be too if I was attacked and did not have the proper social skills or love from another human.

Before you decide to take him, please consider what you are going through right now with the ringworm. Personally I feel you have enough on your plate to deal with right now. That is just MHO.
Is it possible to look into an American Bulldog rescue in or around your area?
Can your friend keep him just a little while longer until some other arrangements can be made for this puppy?

Also, do you have the financial needs to get him to a vet to have his legs checked out? Maybe he has some nerve damage from the attack.
Don't get me wrong Tracy, I am not trying to discourage you on taking on this puppy, I just want you to see the overall view of this situation.

Heather78418
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
He is a doll. But I agree also. I know alot of areas have laws about Bulldogs. Alao is he socail enough to get along with your cats . I was raised around the breed and they can get very territorial. I personally love them. But just consider everything.They can be the gentlest of animals with enough love and attention.

Corinna
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
are yopu sure about his breed he sure looks boxer to me . Can you get a standing picture side veiw. A boxer may be easier to find a home for. Hes very nice looking but a full house here. Prayers for him to find the perfect home.

Reachoutrescue
11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh, I totally agree. This is why we are unsure. Our ringworm epidemic is under control, but still lingering. Not only that, but this dog needs major work, I can feel that in my heart. I am not sure if we can finacially take that on or not. We are going to just take it one day at a time. If Rose can not keep him due to issues in her home, I can not just let him go back to the owners. There are several American Bulldog rescues, but none in our area. I am very familar with the breed. I have been in love with Amer. Bullies since I had one as a kid. I know how their temps are and that they grow enormously large!! I just want this baby to have a chance. That is why we are here, you know? I feel that if he is meant to come here, he will. No decisions are made yet. We are just leaving it as an open invitation if needed. Thank you for all your advice. I will keep you posted.

catmandu
11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I pray that theres someone who will see this Puppy and decides that they have just the Right Furr Ever Home for him.
And I dont think anyone will mind as we are , I think we are Animal Lovers, not just Cat Lovers here.

Reachoutrescue
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Thank you Gary. So far nobody has said much about it.

Rex is doing well. I spoke to Rose last night, he is still very shy, but it has only been a couple of days since he was brought there. He is using the potty outside, which is wonerful! He is too sweet. I will keep you all posted on his progress.