PDA

View Full Version : Help help help -- resume, cover letter agony!

catnapper
10-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Ok, I kow I posted last week about the job opportunity I want to apply for. Having gotten as sick as I did last week, I never had the mind to sit down and focus on this. Now I am able ot sit up without feeling like my head is swimming.... and I am drawing a complete blank as to what to say and how to say it.

This job is for an artist/illustrator who can take artwork and turn it into needlework, rubber stamps, and other crafty stuff. They want someone who has good free hand lettering skills (I'm good at calligraphy but very rusty) and good digital skills

Here's my issues:
How do I describe my job now? I'm not talking about the dog training -- I'm talking about my miserable failure to run my own business
How do I tell them that I want this job because I want a change of careers and I think this is a perfect fit for me?
I know I asked this, but just how do I word the whole thing about not having the digital skills?
How do I combine my artwork and interior design into the same heading on the resume? I've done both under the same company name for the past 3 years.
How do I show them artwork examples? Just include a few photos of my best work and hope just a few examples piques their interest or put together a "Book" of a little bit of everything?

Ackkkk --- I'm really at a loss here! I want to send off a killer resume and at least get an interview. I can't keep on like this much longer - I need a real job with a steady paycheck and benefits. I am NOT the kind of person who can run her own business.... I am artistic and hard working, just lousy at marketing. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sure I'll have more questions -- but at least someone can help me put together an awesome cover letter and the right wording for my own business on the resume.

Oh, PS: Remember I said I sent my resume in twice before to this company? I found the old resume and cover letter in my computer -- it was back on 10-27-03. Three years ago! I think they'll have long ago forgotten they ever saw anything by me :D

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Here's an opening...

X years ago I decided to tackle the challenge of self-employment. I have been providing artistic service such as __________________, _____________, __________, and ________ to a variety of clients.

This has been fun and exciting, but I have come to realize my true passion is the creation…and I should leave the marketing and managing to those better suited.

The job described in your posting of ____________, 2006 is my dream…and one for which I am uniquely qualified. Let me tell you how.

If you want to pm me your resume I can take a look at it....

catnapper
10-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh kisses to you!! Thats brilliant!! PM coming your way! Edit: sent the resume but cut out some non-essential because it was over 3000 characters. I have a wordy resume :o

Logan
10-31-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm so glad Edwina's Secretary jumped in. I knew she would be the best one to help you!!! :) Good luck, Kim.

Cataholic
10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Lord, ES! You are brilliant! Can you work some miracles with my resume? Please?

catnapper
11-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Lord, ES! You are brilliant! Can you work some miracles with my resume? Please?
She IS brilliant, but she's not allowed to help you until my resume's complete! :D ;)