PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis C from tattoos?

Argranade
10-31-2006, 10:32 AM
I was on this site when I saw an add that said somthing about the hepatitis C virus (HCV), it said somthing about tattoos and they can lead to the virus and that kinda made me wounder lol.

Just wanted to know if anyone else knows if this is true and excacly what that means?

Yes I always like to research on things. :p

Miss Z
10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Any disease like Hepatitis B and C, and yep, the HIV virus aswell, can be transferred by tattoos and piercings. Basically, if the tattoo or piercing instrument is not cleaned properly, and infected person's blood can be transferred to the next person. One of the reasons why I've never fancied getting a tattoo or piercing.

Blue_Frog
10-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Its true -- you can get all kinds of nasty things from unreputible tattoo and piercing places. It has to do with the sterilization process and equipment they have - I dont have a tattoo so i'm not sure.

If you like, I can ask my sister where she gets all hers done - shes up to around 11 or so now from the same place with no problems, and she'd prolly know more about the process than me ;)

cmayer31
10-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Hepatitis C occurs when the blood of an infected person enters the body on someone who is not infected. In your scenario, yes a person can get Hep C from getting a tattoo if the needles and other equipment are not properly disposed of, or sanitized correctly. Because the needles go under the skin and do draw blood, if the artist does not follow proper sanitary measures after working on someone infected with Hep C then the risk is there.

There are many other ways to be infected however. Any blood to blood, or soft membrane contact can potentially spread the disease.

Sevaede
10-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, but you can also get infections from piercing guns (which I would NEVER recommend the usage of) and anything else that requires you to stick a needle in your body.

That's why you go to a reputable tattoo or piercing artist. Someone who is gonna use brand new needles. Oh, and when someone marks you, make sure they do it with a toothpick and not whatever the ink actually sits on. Autoclave, etc.

junescrater716
10-31-2006, 08:12 PM
It's only if the needle is clean and whether or not you take care of it. Otherwise you should be fine. My mom and sister both have tattoos and they took good care of them and they're fine.

dukedogsmom
10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
The place I go to looks like a hospital. They are very clean and responsible. I've been wanting to get my other ankle done. It's going to be Duke related.

Vela
10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not you take good care of the tattoo, you ca get HIV or hepatitis from dirty equipment, EVEN if you take good care of your own tattoo.

NoahsMommy
10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
That's why you go to a reputable tattoo or piercing artist. Someone who is gonna use brand new needles.

Exactly! My tattoo artist only uses NEW needles for each client, for each tattoo.

You have to be smart getting things like tattoos and piercings...do the research and ask your artists lots of questions, especially the origin of their needles.

buttercup132
10-31-2006, 09:12 PM
That's why you go to a reputable tattoo or piercing artist. Someone who is gonna use brand new needles. Exactly. Plus most people get shots against that.

Glacier
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Exactly. Plus most people get shots against that.

There is no vaccine against Hepatitis C, only Hep A & B.

Hep C can sometimes be treated with a long course of Interferon treatment, but there is a highly selective protocol to get into a treatment program. Interferon treatment produces some significant side effects. It's a chemo drug so you can get all the usual cancer treatment side effects. A good friend of mine went through it and was essentially out of it for a year, plus in the States your health insurance may not cover it and it is expensive.

More info:
http://familydoctor.org/071.xml

Vela
10-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Exactly. Plus most people get shots against that.

You can't get "shots" against hepatitis C and HIV=) You can get hepatitis A and B vaccinations, but those aren't the potential killers anyway and the vaccines don't always work. My mother is a nurse practitioner and her speciality is hepatitis C, she is one of the leading practitioners in the country on it and it kills as many people as AIDS every year, the general population just seems to hear less about it.