PDA

View Full Version : Pet friendly rentals?

fragrancehound
10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
We maybe selling our house soon and need to find a house to rent that allows pets. I've done some brief research and keep encountering the same problem..no one wants to rent to us because of our pets. We have 1 large dog and 3 cats. Does anyone know of a rental web site that perhaps specializes in pet friendly rentals? I didn't think it would be this difficult to find a place but wow!! What a challenge. :(

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-30-2006, 11:21 PM
It is the same where I live. We currently live in a pet friendly apartment, but have been looking for a house. I find it more difficult to find a house that accepts cats, I live in a rather dog friendly city. I don't know of any pet friendly rental websites other than ones you have to pay to use.

Good luck! :)

fragrancehound
10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I can't believe the crazy requirements that some rentals require like maximum weight per pet, the # of pets, and 1 place wanted a deposit of $300 per pet!!! :eek:

wolf_Q
10-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Where do you live (you don't have to say city or anything.......just state/area....) that would help. I found this website, and a few others, but most are based in certain areas only. http://www.peoplewithpets.com/ Just search for "pet friendly rentals" and you'll find several websites.

It is very difficult (in most areas) to find a place to rent that allows pets, especially large dogs. That is why I still live at my parent's home :o because I can't find a place to rent that I can afford, allows pets, and has a fenced yard.

Good luck!

wolfsoul
10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
It's almost impossible to find a place that allows pets here, too. :( I'm lucky I found a basement suite underneath a co-worker. The house is being torn down in a few years so we can have or do whatever we want, basically. Good luck in your search, I'm going to be finding a new place next year too.

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 05:08 AM
We maybe selling our house soon and need to find a house to rent that allows pets. I've done some brief research and keep encountering the same problem..no one wants to rent to us because of our pets. We have 1 large dog and 3 cats. Does anyone know of a rental web site that perhaps specializes in pet friendly rentals? I didn't think it would be this difficult to find a place but wow!! What a challenge. :( Well my daughter lives in Virginia and there are several that allow pets. NOw some have a size limit, but I know several in Virginia that will take any size. After all- when I first left my ex- I had Buddy ( first borzoi) and later got HOttie. So if you are looking in Virginia, private message me and I could tell you a few.

areias
10-31-2006, 06:36 AM
I find it easier to go with a trailer park (if they are prominent in the area you live in) or to a private renter. Apartment complex's are so picky. I really, really want a Doberman. I thought about it before I got Romeo, and decided I would wait until I buy my own house, just because of the difficulty of finding a house that rents to someone with aggressive breeds.

Does your dog have any obedience class certificates? Any vets, boarding facilities, groomers, willing to write up some references? Send all that in with your application. I myself would be hesitant to rent to someone with pets-what if the dog tore up my house, and the deposit was only $300? Or if the cats spray in the house? If you see what I mean. So references are great!

Laura's Babies
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
I don't know of any in our area either but most apartment complexes do charge a rater per pet fee and limit the size of dogs. I think it sucks but a everyone pays for a few irresponsiable pet owners of the past.

I live in a mobile home community and they don't allow big dogs here eitther and cats have to be kept inside. The manager keeps a smal animal trap set in here and takes the cats he catches to the kill shelter.

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 07:49 AM
I agree Laura babies- my borzois are more docile and quiet than a jack russell or any of the same breeds- they are just large..

Pembroke_Corgi
10-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Try browsing your local papers and checking out www.craigslist.com (http://www.craigslist.com). You can search to see if they allow cats and dogs. I agree it is tough, but not impossible! You will have to pay more though most likely. We rent a house with 3 dogs and now 2 cats. Convince the lanlord what a stunning renter you woul be and go from there! ;)

fragrancehound
10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm in IL. When I lived in an apt. a long time ago it was not issue. I could have as many cats as I wanted and I didn't have to pay a fee. I just can't get over how many places today want usually between $200 to $400 per pet as a deposit. It will run me close to $1,000!!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm in IL. When I lived in an apt. a long time ago it was not issue. I could have as many cats as I wanted and I didn't have to pay a fee. I just can't get over how many places today want usually between $200 to $400 per pet as a deposit. It will run me close to $1,000!!
If you rent from a private landlord (not a rental company) the terms are usually more negotiable. I know I couldn't afford to pay pet rent every month! :eek: Some apartments want $25 per month per pet, which would set me back $125 each month!