PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I'm being paranoid...

wolfsoul
10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Solo is 8 weeks and his testicles still haven't dropped. Most dogs drop them around 6 weeks, but they can take up to 12 weeks and some dogs will even take up to 18 months. Marla has never had a pup take this long..

So I was reading about cryptorchid (no testicled) pups, and apparently a bitch who is carrying a litter with one or more crypto males will sometimes absorb all of the females in the litter.

What if he really IS a crypto and Visa really DID absorb the rest of the litter? :eek: Visa doesn't have any cryptorchidism in her background that I know of, but Karma has a dog four generations back from a kennel that did have a bit of a problem with producing crypto dogs...It IS four generations back though...

I'll wait till he's 12 weeks, and then I guess we'll get a better idea. :( The vet says they are in there, she can feel them. I can't feel anything, but I read to massage the area.

Mikki
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Wolfsoul I worked a few years for a vet that specialized in canine reproduction. If your vet can feel them, they are there and will drop! :)

lute
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
i really hope that Solo isn't crypto. :(

i had a siberian husky puppy that i was going to show. when i picked him up at 9 weeks he had dropped his testies. but barely. you had to pull them down. the "bobbed" up and down for months. i returned him to the breeder because i didn't think they would ever drop. finally at 6months of age they dropped.

i hope they drop soon! fingers and paws crossed!

Corinna
10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Tyson's didn't totally drop until he was about 8 months old. Then at a year I had him neutered . He was starting aggresive male behavior.

k9krazee
10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
You're just being paranoid. Haha, I couldn't resist. ;) Seriously though, I think if the vet actually felt them..then they must be there.

wolfsoul
10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Wolfsoul I worked a few years for a vet that specialized in canine reproduction. If your vet can feel them, they are there and will drop! :)
Oh good! Thanks so much Mikki, you've helped me feel ALOT better lol. My vet is good at feeling things. She always feels stuff ans sayd "there's a kidney," and "there's a puppy," stuff like that, but I can never feel anything.

Mikki
10-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh good! Thanks so much Mikki, you've helped me feel ALOT better lol. My vet is good at feeling things. She always feels stuff ans sayd "there's a kidney," and "there's a puppy," stuff like that, but I can never feel anything.

You're welcome! The difference between them and us is that they know exactly what they're looking for, where to look and how it should feel! They also know how much pressure to use. :D

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 04:52 AM
Solo is 8 weeks and his testicles still haven't dropped. Most dogs drop them around 6 weeks, but they can take up to 12 weeks and some dogs will even take up to 18 months. Marla has never had a pup take this long..

So I was reading about cryptorchid (no testicled) pups, and apparently a bitch who is carrying a litter with one or more crypto males will sometimes absorb all of the females in the litter.

What if he really IS a crypto and Visa really DID absorb the rest of the litter? :eek: Visa doesn't have any cryptorchidism in her background that I know of, but Karma has a dog four generations back from a kennel that did have a bit of a problem with producing crypto dogs...It IS four generations back though...

I'll wait till he's 12 weeks, and then I guess we'll get a better idea. :( The vet says they are in there, she can feel them. I can't feel anything, but I read to massage the area.
Ohhhhhhhh no dont worry. Wayyyyyyyyy too early. Especially a big male can take easily up to 5 months, and a few of my shepherds they didnt totally drop until 7 months old. Now at 6 months old, the vet can tell if they are there, which is what I had my vet check with the two boys that took their sweet ever loving time.. Herding breeds are notorious for making you wait.
Even Zubin didnt have his until 4 months old. " Just leave them alone, and they'll come home..." as my mother would say.. hahaha...

areias
10-31-2006, 06:13 AM
I wouldn't worry-Romeo's just dropped and he's 4 1/2 months old. Just in time for him to get snipped!

I would give it a while. I suppose if they haven't dropped by 6 months then you should worry, that is what I was told.

zoomer
10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I hope they drop! And I'm sure they well. I'm just positive *nodds head* :)

Logan
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
It took Mack quite a while for his to drop. He was 8 weeks old when we got him and I think it was actually several months before both dropped. I think you are being paranoid! Let your vet guide you on this. I would bet it will all be ok.

Logan

lute
10-31-2006, 10:09 AM
remember not to keep checking on the testicles. it may make Solo pull them back up and take even longer dropping.