PDA

View Full Version : Breaking a Rental Lease?

areias
10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Anyone ever had to do it? What's the best way to do it? I've been at my current place for 2-3 months, under a 7month agreement. I am moving back to my moms house because of family problems, to support her. Also because I have a moldy fridge that they won't replace, and I think there is mold in the house, and I am getting headaches 3-4 times a week. The water smells disgusting, it is well water but its like there is sulfur in it. The only thing I use water for is to shower and wash dishes. I use bottled water to brush my teeth. The oven dosen't work either. The only time I made complaints was when I first moved in, and there was the mold in the fridge/freezer. They sent someone to 'clean' it after a month of battling with them. I won't leave ANYTHING open in the fridge, or especially the freezer. I throw most things out after a few days. I had ice cream bars in the freezer for about 3 days (in a paper wrapper) and I went to go eat one and all I could taste/smell was mold.

I would really love to get my security deposit back. I have painted in here, cleaned everything myself, etc. Unfortunately the carpets were brand new so there is the occasional stain on them, due to having pets and mud tracked in, etc. There is also a hole in the front door, from Skye when I first got her. I replaced all the blinds, but Skye chewed holes into two of them and the rest the cat has pushed and bent to get into the window sill. I'm moving out on Saturday/Sunday. Should I tell them now? Or wait until everything's out? What is the best 'excuse' to give them?

Thanks for replies. :)

Karen
10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Document everything. Take pictures. Then call them ASAP, and say that you need to end the lease prematurely. Give them the list of things like oven, refrigerator, water, and say you just cannot live in those conditions any longer, and that other circumstances have also made it important for you to move. How much notice could you give them if you told them today?

areias
10-30-2006, 06:56 PM
It would be 5 days or so. I pay weekly, so it's not like I'm skipping out on anything. When I go to pay my rent tomorrow I can tell them then. I really don't have picture proof of anything, as nothing is visible. I've heard people complain about the water when I go into the office, and they say they're getting it fixed eventually. It's hard for me to make complaints because I have the dogs/cat and I can't have someone just walking in at any given time, I work during the time that they send people. Luckily someone was here when they came to clean the fridge.

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Anyone ever had to do it? What's the best way to do it? I've been at my current place for 2-3 months, under a 7month agreement. I am moving back to my moms house because of family problems, to support her. Also because I have a moldy fridge that they won't replace, and I think there is mold in the house, and I am getting headaches 3-4 times a week. The water smells disgusting, it is well water but its like there is sulfur in it. The only thing I use water for is to shower and wash dishes. I use bottled water to brush my teeth. The oven dosen't work either. The only time I made complaints was when I first moved in, and there was the mold in the fridge/freezer. They sent someone to 'clean' it after a month of battling with them. I won't leave ANYTHING open in the fridge, or especially the freezer. I throw most things out after a few days. I had ice cream bars in the freezer for about 3 days (in a paper wrapper) and I went to go eat one and all I could taste/smell was mold.

I would really love to get my security deposit back. I have painted in here, cleaned everything myself, etc. Unfortunately the carpets were brand new so there is the occasional stain on them, due to having pets and mud tracked in, etc. There is also a hole in the front door, from Skye when I first got her. I replaced all the blinds, but Skye chewed holes into two of them and the rest the cat has pushed and bent to get into the window sill. I'm moving out on Saturday/Sunday. Should I tell them now? Or wait until everything's out? What is the best 'excuse' to give them?

Thanks for replies. :)
Okay- I did once. If it is a medical reason, they usually let you out of the lease. IN my case it was my mother and father had to move in with my grandmother who had altizimers. I had to move into their home. At first they said " well why doesnt your parents just sell their home?" I told them the disease could take a few months to resolve, or a year, and they were not able to do so and I had to assist them as well. They let me out.
One other time when I was early 20's, I was getting married. They let me out, even gave me a wedding gift.. hahaha..
Honesty is the best way to go. Just tell them you have to help for medical reasons. As far as your deposit, you can ask as a after thought, but I will say if they are letting you out of the lease, the deposit is alot less money to loose. If you need the deposit money for expenses to move, they might give it back. I got mine back both times, but the place was SPOTLESS!

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 05:15 AM
One more thing- you need to tell them now. If they can get it re rented, they will be more likely to give you your money back. Otherwise it looks like you tried to seek out...