PDA

View Full Version : Big news - need advice please! *UPDATE*

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
My big news is about my three little rascals kittens we rescued in my backyard. We missed one!!!! Late last week I looked outside to see momma cat and a gray kitten eating the food I put out. As soon as she spotted me in the window they ran under the deck. Well we trapped mom yesterday and she is now at the vet waiting to be spayed today and I just now trapped the kitten. Little booger outwitted us yesterday and all we caught was a possum.

The kitten is the identical twin to Pops, solid gray. I have him in the trap covered in my garage to let him calm down but he is full of spit and very wild acting. I need advice on how to try to work with him. I don't even have a good place to keep him. I called the no kill shelter where I got Scout and Jazz and they told me they wouldn't take him as is. So now I need to try to tame him to get him a good home or into the rescue.

As for momma cat, she seems pretty feral and I can't find a rescue or shelter to take her that wouldn't put her down so she will probably go back to my backyard where I will continue to feed and care for her if she will stay. That is the best I can do so I'm asking that no one lecture me on the dangers of outdoor cats.

So now, help! I need to try to tame this little guy without getting myself hurt. By the way, he's about 9 weeks old now.

Catty1
10-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, you have all the love and gentle talking going for you. Maybe as a temporary measure, a few sprays of Feliway or Rescue Remedy in the water?

HUGS - I think the little guy will calm down as he gets used to you.

Am glad you caught Mom cat - at least she won't get pregnant any more!

Good luck with them.

jenluckenbach
10-30-2006, 10:38 AM
First, congratulations on catching mom. And YES, returning her to the area she knows is the perfectly correct thing to do for any feral.

Next, congrats on catching baby #4!!

since he/she had more weeks with his wild mom, starting him confined to a cage is the best way to go. Handle him in a towel if necessary. Maybe even Moxie can help to teach him the benefits of being tame.

HA! and I thought I had my hands full. :D :D

Killearn Kitties
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Your kitten might just be putting on a big show because he is on his own and frightened.

Our little feral babies were nine weeks too, when Jessica brought them to us. They all acted like that, the smallest ones hissed the loudest, but in some cases they calmed down really quickly. The kitten that my mum took was hissing and spitting at me from his cage as I got ready to take him to the vet for his injections, but by the time he had been handled at the vets and had his injections, he was absolutely fine. When we went to collect him, he walked out the cage purring. It was incredible.

Unfortunately some of them did take a bit longer than that, and it was a case of keeping playing with them with their toys, trying to touch them as much as possible and being patient.

I hope your little wild baby surprises you.

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Should I work with him for a day or so before I take him into the vet?

Karen - I would love to have an outcome like yours who calmed at the vet.

Jen - I'm hoping it won't take long to put him with Moxie. I think she is the reason Twinks and Pops came around as quickly as they did.

K & L
10-30-2006, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=jazzcat]Should I work with him for a day or so before I take him into the vet?

No! Get him fixed and if you have a bathroom, seclude him in there. It will take time, but with food and patience you can tame him. BTW...CONGRATULATIONS on both!! I will send you protocols on taming feral kittens.

K & L
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Here they are. This is from Alley Cat Allies website! Very good information! The most important thing is secluding him in an area like a small bathroom so it has nowhere to run and hide.

Tompkins County SPCA
Feral Cat Series
Socializing Feral Kittens

Kittens who are not exposed to humans early in their lives learn from their mothers and quickly become feral. However, if they are caught and handled at a young enough age, feral kittens can be socialized and placed in loving homes.

Remember that spay/neuter is the single most important thing you can do to help feral cats. It is best to alter as many cats in a colony as possible before you begin socializing.

Kittens under four weeks old can usually be socialized in a matter of days, and kittens up to eight weeks old can take approximately two to four weeks to socialize. 10-12 weeks old kittens can also be tamed, but it may take longer. Taming feral kittens over 12 weeks old can be difficult and they may never be fully socialized to people.

Getting Started
•Kittens cannot be socialized while they are still in their colony. They must be brought inside and confined so you have regular access to them. If you cannot do this, have the kittens altered and return them to their colony.
•Kittens can be taken from their feral mothers when they begin weaning-at approximately four weeks of age. To determine a kitten's age, see our fact sheet "Basic Kitten Care."

Housing the Kittens
•You will need to confine the kitten(s) at first, preferably in a dog crate, large pet carrier, cat condo, or cage. If you do not have a cage or carrier, you can keep the kittens in a small room. Be sure to block up anything they could crawl into or under and remove anything that could injure them.
•Do not let feral kittens run loose in your house. They can hide in tiny spaces and are exceptionally difficult to find and coax out. In addition, a large room can be frightening and hinder the taming process.
•If possible, kittens should be separated from each other to facilitate taming. Left together, one kitten can become outgoing and playful while another remains shy and withdrawn. If you cannot separate them, the kittens can be housed together, but be sure to spend time alone with each one.
•The cage should contain a small litterbox, food and water dishes, and something to cuddle in like a towel or piece of your clothing.
Socializing
•Food is the key to taming. Make dry kitten food available at all times and give the kitten a small amount of wet food at least twice a day. The kitten may hesitate to eat in your presence at first, but be patient. Eventually the kitten will associate your presence with food.
•Chicken-flavored baby food is a special treat that almost no kitten can resist.
•How soon you begin handling the kitten depends on the kitten's age and
temperament. Older kittens and those who are more feral are harder to handle. With these kittens, start by offering baby food or wet food on a spoon through the cage. Once they are used to this, you can begin handling them.
•Younger and less feral kittens can be picked up right away. Wear gloves if you will feel more comfortable, as it is important to be confident and gentle when picking up any animal. Wrap the kitten in a towel allowing her head to stick out. Offer baby food or wet food on a spoon. If she does not respond, dab a tiny bit on the end of her nose. Once she tastes it, she will soon want more.
•When petting a feral kitten, approach from behind his head. Gradually begin to pet the kitten's face, chin, and behind the ears while talking gently. Try to have several feeding/petting sessions (15-20 minutes) with each kitten as many times a day as you can.
•Progress will depend on the kitten's age and temperament. Each day you will notice improvement-falling asleep in your lap, coming towards you for food, meowing at you, purring, and playing are all great signs. Once the kitten no longer runs away from you but instead comes toward you seeking to be fed, held and pet, you can confine her to a small, kitten-proofed room rather than a cage. Siblings can also be reunited at this point.
•Expose the kittens to a variety of people. Everyone should use low voices at first, and approach the kittens in a non-threatening manner.
Important Tips
•Handle feral kittens cautiously-nails and teeth are sharp.
•Do not give kittens cow's milk-it can make them sick.
•Once the kitten is willing to play, offer toys and use a string (not yarn) or a cat dancer for him to chase. Do not let the kitten bite, scratch or play with your hand.
•If the kittens are staying awake at night, try to play and socialize with them more during the day and cover their cage(s) at night with a towel or blanket.
•Leave a television or radio on (not too loud) during the day so the kittens get used to human voices.

Good luck and job well done!!

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
No! Get him fixed and if you have a bathroom, seclude him in there. It will take time, but with food and patience you can tame him. BTW...CONGRATULATIONS on both!! I will send you protocols on taming feral kittens.
I'm pretty sure my vet won't spay and neuter this young. I think they will do it three weeks after the last vaccination. So I should take him in immediately for his first vaccination and check up or give him a day or two to settle down?

K & L
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure my vet won't spay and neuter this young. I think they will do it three weeks after the last vaccination. So I should take him in immediately for his first vaccination and check up or give him a day or two to settle down?

Ours will fix as long as they weigh 2 lbs. I would take him to the vet right away and get things rolling. This way you can get whats needed done on him and get him out of the trap. If they won't fix yet, then at least you'll have this done and can start the taming process.

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks Lisa. I was going to try to get him in the large pet carrier but I will wait till my vet is back in from lunch and see if they can see him today. If so I will let them get him out of the trap and into a crate for me. I'm kind of nervous of doing it by myself and Richard won't be home till late.

K & L
10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks Lisa. I was going to try to get him in the large pet carrier but I will wait till my vet is back in from lunch and see if they can see him today. If so I will let them get him out of the trap and into a crate for me. I'm kind of nervous of doing it by myself and Richard won't be home till late.

It's best to leave him in the trap. It's easier for the vets to handle in the trap. There's more chance of getting bit when the ferals are in carriers.

catlover4ever
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
:) Well Lisa had all the information that you needed. I just want to say good work on getting momma and baby #4. I think with love, kindness and patience this little one and momma will come a long way. Good work Lori!!!

kimlovescats
10-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Way to go! I'm so glad you were able to get that last baby too! Mom will be spayed and have a safe place to be fed, and I bet in time even she will become more tame! Baby is just being a hissy cat and will settle down before long too, I'm guessing! Lisa is the resident feral expert, though, and she has given you great advice!

Kim :)

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
UPDATE
I just got back from the vet with kitten #4. He is healthy and looks good. Once out of the trap he stop hissing and spitting and was just terrified. Watching my vet handle him made me feel better about it all. He's just scared and not really showing any aggression but my vet said he already shows a lot of the feral traits like his mom. He got his first vaccination and dewormer plus advantage for fleas. I'm currently calling him Taz because he seemed like a little devil at first but I think that will change once I'm around him more.

Momma came through her spay just fine. The vet said her uterus was overused so this was only one of many litters and she said the cat was only days to a week away from going into another heat. We caught her just in time! Her ear has been notched but the vet said she wasn't totally feral but would probably never be a house cat, may not even let me pet her. I can bring her home tomorrow.

Right now Taz is in a large pet carrier with some food and water and I'm letting him have a quiet break from his stressful day. Tonight we will get him set up in the cage Moxie has been staying in so he can have a litter box and food in with him. Moxie will miss her hammock.

I'll try to get pictures of him but he looks just like Pops except his eyes are kind of golden colored. Pops were changing to a green color.

K & L
10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Great job! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back.

Cataholic
10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Huge hugs, pats and scritchies to those that will allow it! Sometimes, TNR is the ONLY way (based on my limited experience). I still have Minnie living under my bed. It has been 3 years, I think, since I adopted her. She was not meant to live with hoomans, not that she has a bad life. Regular food, vet care, climate controlled.

catnapper
10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Life is never dull aorund your house! Sounds great that he has clamed down a bit. I'm sure you'll work magic on hte little guy and he'll be ready for his new home in a few weeks. Good luck with Little Taz!

And great going with mama!

Corinna
10-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Yahoo about getting mom before another cycle. She may live a long live being a garden kitty in your yard. Maybe K&L can give you tips on setting up a good living location for her. We all know what love and careing can do hope kitty #4 will calm down for you.

catmandu
10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
It Will Take The Patience Of Job, Lots Of Love And Tlc, But A Very Young Kitten Will Very Soon Learns Who Loves Him, And Wants The Best For Him.
If Theres Anyone Who Can Tame That Spitfire, Its You!!!!

Laura's Babies
10-30-2006, 04:22 PM
It is stories and events like this that make me just love this place even more. Sometimes the sadness gets to me and wears me down but these moments are TOPS! YAAAAA for the baby that now stands a chance and a healthier, happier Mom!

jenluckenbach
10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Great update!!

orangemm
10-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Good job! Now mom is safe from further litters and the little ones are in a good place.

You all do wonderful work!

Ginger's Mom
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
It is stories and events like this that make me just love this place even more. Sometimes the sadness gets to me and wears me down but these moments are TOPS! YAAAAA for the baby that now stands a chance and a healthier, happier Mom!
I couldn't have said it better. :)

You did a great job!!!

kimlovescats
10-30-2006, 07:09 PM
GOOD JOB, LORI! Wow, you advanced from first time foster mom, to Feral Trapper in one month!!!! :D

Can't wait for pics of little Taz! Poor little fella must be scared ta death! ;)

Terminalvelocity
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
What a great rescue story! Congratulations! Those are two lucky kitties.

From experience, I've learned that feral kittens are scared. So very, very scared. Taz will need all the rest he can get and he might not be able to unless he feels secure.

When I tamed two eight-week-old feral kittens, I learned to give them a place to hide. If they can't see out, they think no one can see them. I kept them in a bathroom, but I put a carrier in there and covered it. That way they had a place to curl up and feel safe so they could get the rest they needed.

I wasn't able to separate them and I don't think I would have even if I could. They needed each other.

They turned out to be two loving, precious, beautiful cats. I'm sure that Taz will, too. God bless you for caring enough to give Momma and her kittens a life.

http://karelbergstrom.com/wegottails.jpg

Ramses Che and Nefertari Alexis
Found deep in the woods of Daytona

Freedom
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
What a lucky little kitten and momma cat too! You are definitely earning your halo this month!!!

I stay off the computer for 7 or 8 hours and a whole escapade is enacted and resolved! Things sure do happen fast on this site!

This is such a great story. Keep up the good work! Will wait in anticipation to learn if you let momma out in the yard or keep her in for a day or three to heal, and how she reacts to all that.

jazzcat
10-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Oh boy is he one scared and wild little guy. What is amazing to me is how much bigger than the other three he is. I guess he was getting all that mother's milk for himself. The vet said the mom was still loaded with it too.

We spent some time with him but he acts like it hurts to be touched. He spent his time hiding behind the garbage can in the bathroom and hissing if we made eye contact. We are really surprised at just how feral he is already. It seems pretty overwhelming right now but I know I'm tired.

I hope I'm up for this but right now I'm not so sure. I need some rest but Moxie is now demanding my attention along with the 5 members of my gang.

kimlovescats
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Poor widdle guy! He'll settle down ... he's had quite a day! You get some rest too, meommy! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Lori, I'm so glad that you were able to trap the mother and get her spayed.:) I'm very surprised to hear that there was another kitten in the litter and I'm glad that you were also able to trap him. I hope that you or some one else will be able to tame him so he can find the loving forever home that he deserves. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.:) Just remember that you've done a wonderful job with these kittens and you've now stopped their mother from having even more kittens.You go girl!!!:D

Freedom
10-31-2006, 08:19 AM
That makes sense, that he acts like it hurts to be touched. It doesn't "hurt," but he is not desensitized to the feeling and so it is not something he has adapted to = YET! He can and will get used to it, better now as a kit. Think about it (if you aren't too tired dealing with all the herd and Moxie!) In the "wild," there are few things that touch a cat: mom's tongue, and things when he brushes by them, but that is about it.

Eye contact in the animal kigdom is a challenge, a sign of aggression. He needs to get used to the new culture, the hiuman culture, of eye contact. Also, when you smile at him, don't show teeth, another sign of aggression in the animal world. He will get used to seeing human teeth over time.

Great work you are doing, best wishes and you WILL see progress!