PDA

View Full Version : Blessings of the Pets today!

Laura's Babies
10-29-2006, 08:41 PM
My buddie and neighbor went to the Blessings of the Pets today at the Synagogue he attends. He takes his babies Klinger and Yetta every year to have them blessed by the Rabbi. I think that is just SO neat and I wish I had somewhere to take mine to have them blessed but I am not Jewish and neither are my babies. (LOL!)

I got pictures of them today when they got back home from being blessed...
Daddy'sd little gril, Yetta
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM2592-1.jpg

And proud CatDad with is boy, Klinger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM2590.jpg

They got certificates like these, Yettas was pink, this one os Klingers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/KlingersCertificate.jpg

(for some reason when I make Yetta's smaller, PB blurrs it out real bad...)

kimlovescats
10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Very nice! :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
That's neat and his cats sure are gorgeous.:)

rg_girlca
10-29-2006, 11:47 PM
That is so nice and what beautiful cats Yetta & Klinger are. Look at that proud papa. :)

Laura, is Yetta the same cat that was in the red wagon when she was a kitten?

Laura's Babies
10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
You got a good memory! Yea, this big girl is that little kitten in the red wagon.

CultureJunky
10-30-2006, 09:06 AM
That is just so cool! I would love to be able to have my cats blessed. I do believe in God, but I dont' attend church, but to me animals are part of God's world, and are important. I think no matter what religion you are or faith, that involving animals like that is just so great. Animals are a big part of many people's lives and to be able to have them blessed in your faith is just fantastic! :)

momcat
10-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I also love the idea of blessing our pets because they are a very special gift from God. They ask so little of us but give so very much in return. Unfortunately, my Pastor is allergic to cats and I don't even want to think of what it might do to her asthma. Pastor told me the owner of a funeral home a few doors down from her feeds the feral kitties that come by each day. Once their tummys are full, they come to play in her fenced in back yard. Pastor's favorite is when mommy cats bring their babies to romp and play. At least they're off the street and away from danger. In spite of her allergy and asthma, Pastor wants to keep all of them.

lvpets2002
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
:) WoW that was neat & sweet.. Such pretty babies..

momoffuzzyfaces
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I always baptise my pets. I do the Presbyterian sprinkle rather than the Baptist dunk. Since they are a gift from God in the first place, I don't think He minds. He's never told me to stop it any way. ;)

RedHedd
10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Aww! We do this in San Francisco, the City of St. Francis, every year. I haven't taken my pets mainly because of time constraints, but it always looks like such a happy event. They are all blessed creatures anyway.

KitCat
10-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Cocoa Kitty has to gets his blessings from God at our house because he doesn't like to travel, is afraid of strangers and DOGS, and they don't have beds to hide under!

catmandu
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I Know That The Lord Blesses All Of Our Pets, And All Animals On Earth.
And I Believe That How You Treat Animals Determines Your Fate When You Face Judgement Day.
I Know The Found Cats Hate To Travel , So They Are Blessed Here.

mrspunkysmom
10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
A blessing is a blessing, no matter the faith. Go with your friend or find another ceremony. Do one yourself or invite some friends together to bless your pets.

The Feast of St. Francis was on October 4th, which is when many pets are blessed.

I really should get mine blessed, but mine also do not travel well.

Anne

Freedom
10-30-2006, 08:21 PM
That is so nice, and the certificate is a nice idea. Many of the Catholic churches around here have a special time for the blessing of the pets, around the Feast of St. Francis. I have never taken my cats, as I can't imagine having a cat (or mulitples) in a carrier and the people around me having dogs on leashes. Something tells me that is just not a good mix.

It is not just cats and dogs. People bring small mammals, birds, reptiles, and even a few goats and pot bellied pigs mix in. There is always an announcement in the paper before hand, and often a photo follow up the day after. I don't envy the church clean up crew after such a Mass! :eek:

I agree with Catmandu, I also believe they are all blessed. I have St. Francis medals on the collar for each cat, along with the ID tag. On one side of the medal is a depiction of St. Francis surrounded by animals. On the other side is a picture of a kitty angel and around the kitty angel is says: "God Bless My Cat." I get them on ebay. There are several different types available. The ones I get are silver tone, and say "Cat" not "Pet" (too generic). I think they are about $6 each. Crystal keeps losing hers, no idea how. I now have 3 for her; they eventually show up, just "miraculously appear" in the middle of the floor. She must have a secret stash somewhere!

kimlovescats
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I always baptise my pets. I do the Presbyterian sprinkle rather than the Baptist dunk.

I am Baptist, and I had to giggle at this comment! I have no doubt your kitties truly appreciate this!!! :D

Laura's Babies
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
What a neat idea for those St. Francis metals! HUmmmmmm!!! I know what my babies will be getting for Christmas this year!

momcat
10-31-2006, 07:39 AM
I do the Presbyterian sprinkle ;)
LOL...I'm a Presbyterian and never thought about giving Groucho our "sprinkle"! Would you mind if I use your idea when I get home from work tonight? It's a great idea and I'll be sure to give you proper credit. Hmm... maybe we should do it for the kittys and their babies who love to play in my Pastor's back yard!

Don Juan's mom
10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Don Juan and Zerlina are devotees of Goddess Bastet, but I have taken them to the annual blessing at the Episcopalian church in Los Gatos (naturally) where I used to sing. (My avatar picture was taken at the first one Don Juan and I attended.)

There are always so many dogs that one would think the town was called "Los Perros." But I've never heard of any dog vs. cat incidents. They also get the occasional fish (in container) and bird (in cage).

I sang one year at a church in Wayne, PA (just outside of Philadelphia) where the rector announced that all animals were welcome at the blessing "except alligators." I've wondered if that arose out of some unfortunate incident... :eek:

Liz

catfamily
10-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I wish my cats could all be blessed.
My Grandmom...my mom's mom was jewish.But I'm catholic my dad's prodistant(however you spell it).My mom decided to turn catholic at age 18.I love the jewish religion.But their all nice religions.It doesn't matter which you are...their all good.It's good to believe in something...anything positive.

But imagine all the religions I had in my family.No wonder I'm so confused :D :D :D

Pembroke_Corgi
10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
That is cool! I love the certificates they got.