PDA

View Full Version : We adopted another cat!!!! *pics added*

Pembroke_Corgi
10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
We adopted another cat tonight at the animal shelter here in Denver. He's such a sweetheart, too! We don't have a name picked out yet, but he's a 5-month old brown tabby. My camera is dead, so I'm going to have to buy some batteries tonight so I can share some pictures!

We weren't actually planning on getting another cat so soon, but we stopped by the animal shelter on the way home from buying some pet food, and of course found a cat we fell in love with. He's darling. He has had an upper respiratory infection and has been on antibiotics for almost 10 days, so he's looking very healthy but will have to stay in our bathroom for a couple of days before he can meet Seine (just in case). He's doing well, and so far hasn't been the least bit frightened of the dog noises coming from outside the door (which is a good sign). He's going to be a big cat- he's already 6 pounds, so no doubt he'll be bossing those dogs around soon enough! I just hope he and Seine get along.

I was worried about our landlord saying no to another pet, but we called him from the shelter and he said it was fine! I'm so excited, I just had to share the big news. I'll post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. :D

Oh yeah, I know this is very long already, but if anyone has any tips on the best way to introduce him to Seine, please share them. Thanks!

jenluckenbach
10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
YIPPEE !!! A new kitty.

Congratulations! :D :D

Laura's Babies
10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
I second that Jen! YIPIEEEEEE! Congratulations and THANKS for adopting from a shelter!!! Did I hear someone say pictures?

kimlovescats
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Congratulations! :D

krazyaboutkatz
10-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Congrats on your new kitty!!!:D He sounds adorable and I can't wait to see some pictures of him.:)

The best way to introduce a cat to another cat or even a dog is to do it as slowly as possible. Hissing and growling is normal and will hopefully go away in time. You can also use a towel and rub the kitten with one and your other cat with another one and then let each cat smell the towels so they get used to each others scent. Some people have even dabbed a little bit of vanilla on each cats head or neck so that they'd smell alike and this is supposed to help. Usually kittens don't pose as too much of a threat to the older cats so they are accepted much faster and easier. Good luck and please keep us updated about them.:)

Some people, me included, have just let the kittens run loose with the other cats and let the cats work things out. I think this works best if the other cats are used to living with other cats.;)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Here he is! He's adorable, but his personality is even better. :) We are thinking about the name "Pippin" or "Ender."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/kitty/IMG_4729.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/kitty/IMG_4742.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/pembrokecorgi/kitty/IMG_4732.jpg

Pembroke_Corgi
10-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Congrats on your new kitty!!!:D He sounds adorable and I can't wait to see some pictures of him.:)

The best way to introduce a cat to another cat or even a dog is to do it as slowly as possible. Hissing and growling is normal and will hopefully go away in time. You can also use a towel and rub the kitten with one and your other cat with another one and then let each cat smell the towels so they get used to each others scent. Some people have even dabbed a little bit of vanilla on each cats head or neck so that they'd smell alike and this is supposed to help. Usually kittens don't pose as too much of a threat to the older cats so they are accepted much faster and easier. Good luck and please keep us updated about them.:)

Some people, me included, have just let the kittens run loose with the other cats and let the cats work things out. I think this works best if the other cats are used to living with other cats.;)
Thanks for the advice! I actually think having to quarantine him in the bathroom is a good thing...he can get used to the sounds of the household before anything else. I will try rubbing a towel on him & Seine. I won't be able to introduce them for at least 2 or 3 more days, but hopefully it goes ok!

Dorothy39
10-29-2006, 11:20 PM
OHHHH, Pippin , that's the name . That cat is ~~ soooo darned BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! :o Oh Lordie, Take a look at the STRIPES!!! Lucky you!!!

Congratulations Pembroke_Corgi. That's Great , ( I hope Seine feels the same way too!!!!!)

Oh~~~ and , Please keep all of us up dated, of course ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
He's so handsome and he looks like a brown classic or blotched tabby to me.:)

rg_girlca
10-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh wow, look at those gorgeous markings. He is one beauty of a kitty.

Congratulations on your new addition. I pray that all goes well with everyone.

KAK gave you some very good advice, but I would like to add one more thing. After a few days, take Pippin, BTW, I love that name, and hold him on your arm with his legs dangling on each side, with your hand under his chest and let Seine, and the dogs, smell his butt first. This is a normal greeting between animals.

Good luck with the intros and please keep us posted on how things go.

Gosh he is so darn adorable. :D

shais_mom
10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
congrats - he's adorable!
I have known of 2 golden retrievers named Pippin.
either is a cute name
looking forward to hearing more about him!

jenluckenbach
10-30-2006, 05:02 AM
He's GORGEOUS!!

moosmom
10-30-2006, 06:37 AM
What a sweet thing he is!!! The look he's giving you in that picture shows just how much he loves you. Thank you for rescuing another homeless kitty!

Laura's Babies
10-30-2006, 07:53 AM
His markingts are stunning and I just love his face!! You sure got a looker there!!

RedHedd
10-30-2006, 07:58 AM
He's a beauty! Love his markings and those beautiful stripedy legs. I like the name Pippin for him.

KAK is right - introduce them slowly and let them get used to the other's scent. Cats are scent oriented. I hope the introductions go well.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I am taking Pippin (his official name now!) to the vet tomorrow and if he's healthy enough, I'm going to introduce him to Seine. She knows there's a cat mysteriously locked in the bathroom and she doesn't seem too upset. She hissed once but she's just curious now. I'll let you know how it goes!

kimlovescats
10-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Pippin is a cutie pie and I love his markings!

orangemm
10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Pippin is so handsome! His markings and colors are gorgeous! He looks extremely grateful to have a furrever home. :)

Dorothy39
10-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Looking forward to hearing another News Flash about all of your Furr Kids, especially * Seine* and *Pippin*.

With all the valuable information you have received so far, I doubt you'll run into any serious confrontations~

Hoping little Pippin pulls through, he's such a Beautiful Kitty!!