PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Prong Collars?

areias
10-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Has anyone ever used these? How do they compare to the the metal ones? Are they sold in stores? If not, where is the best place to find one on the internet?

A regular choke collar is not cutting it with Skye if she is excited- I.E. getting out of the car and walking towards the dog park. If she is calm, she dosen't pull, but otherwise I need to kick it up a notch. It's like she dosen't care about any correction on the choke collar.
Thanks for any info!

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Well I dont like prong collars. Always trained mine with buckel collars, only wearing a show lead and choke for show.
Try the reverses method. Take your puller- when the dog starts to pull, reverses direction and call the dog too you but continue to walk the other way.. Walk along.. when the dog starts to pull, reverses direction. At first you wont feel like you are getting anywhere but they will learn if I pull I loose what I am pulling at..

*LabLoverKEB*
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I have never heard not seen one of these. I would just go with a metal prong collar, I've heard and it seems true that they are much more humane that choke collars.

binka_nugget
10-29-2006, 03:40 PM
A trainer I worked with used the plastic prong with a couple dogs. It seemed to work really well, but then again, I haven't had the metal prongs fail me either! If you decide to go for a prong (plastic or metal) make sure you have someone show you how to fit them properly. A client of mine used the metal prong with their lab, and he didn't give a hoot after the first session. I showed them how to fit it correctly and it made a world of difference.

Cinder & Smoke
10-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I showed them how to fit it correctly and it made a world of difference.

Can you describe in words How to Fit a Prong Collar?

Kinda wonder if I'm using ours correctly.
:confused:

cloverfdx
10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have a photo of the plastic prong collars? i have never seen them and am interested to see what they look like thanks.

binka_nugget
10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Phred: The prong collar should be snug and stay directly under their ears for maximum effectiveness. Leerburg.com has a pictorial (http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm) too :)

areias
10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I am probably going to order one, just to see. I have had success with the metal ones for training. They actually have a patented name -Good Dog Collar, I finally found them :). Here's a picture.
https://www.jbpet.com/shopping/images/1850121.jpg

I don't really like 'obedience' training with a buckle collar, as it provides no real correction. Looking at it more closely, I don't know how effective they would be with longer haired dog, or if they would snap if a heavy dog lunged on it.
They are also much cheaper than the metal ones, as the one I have is huge (I can fit my akita x in it).