PDA

View Full Version : males or female dogs-

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Just wondered what peoples opinion was on which are sweeter and which are smarter? My mother use to say the females are smarter and the males are sweeter. I have found that to be true. My females can get into mischeif- things the other two males would not think of or want to do... My males like routine more- and the females like to " kick it up a notch.." ..
I know each breed is different, but I am curious what you all think. My males tend to be more stoic, laid back, and expect things. My females like to say "okay- that was fun, but this would be a better way to do it.."

TFTpwnsYou
10-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Well, I just perfer males. Easier to train to "go" on command, and with the longer coated breeds I think the coats are more glamorus. As for sweets and smarts. I think it's the same for both. I've had sweet and smart females, and sweet and smart males. The only thing I found a little different is the females seemed to be a little more protective.

cloverfdx
10-29-2006, 08:42 AM
We have 3 of each here at the moment, all are different and special in their own ways. The girls are fun loving, slightly hyperactive.. but very loyal. The boys are a bit more laid back, more willing to work and learn new commands.

Twisterdog
10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I think, for the most part, the differences in dogs' personalities have little to do with gender. In the thousands of dogs I have dealt with over the years there have been probably an equal number of loyal, hyper, sweet smart, etc. dogs that are male, and that are female. I think such traits are much, much more related to the inate personality of the dog and to history, training and upbringing than to gender. Just like with human beings. (Although, with humans, females are definately smarter. ;) )

critter crazy
10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I have had both Males and Females. I was always under the opinion that the females, were more active and the males more laid back. Till I got my latest dog Duke! He should have been a female!:D

Chilli
10-29-2006, 08:49 AM
We only have males in the house at the moment(three of them. :D), and I'd have to say that I'd go with males.. though I've never, in my life, owned a female dog.
I've been around female dogs plenty... but as many do, I find the males to be more laid back. I love dogs that aren't too hyperactive, but a little hyperactiveness never hurt.
Both genders have their good points and all, but I definately would own a male dog over a female dog.

buttercup132
10-29-2006, 09:04 AM
We have 3 of each here at the moment, all are different and special in their own ways. The girls are fun loving, slightly hyperactive.. but very loyal. The boys are a bit more laid back, more willing to work and learn new commands.I agree, I dont have 3 of each right now though. Just one of each.

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I always find it funny the difference. Even when I had shepherds, the males were more likely to take a nap verses the females that would only nap if the house was "Koser". With these 4, the females are more likely to start a chase- the males might finish it due to larger size, but the females always seem to get the last laugh in.
I havent really found either sex to be easier to train, but a male is likely to finish something and a female might get creative. One time for one of shepherds last leg on her CDX, a dog in the next ring was similar in name, but not that much. Well they sent the dumbell over the jump, the lady sent her dog and mine took off, jumped the show ring, ran at the shocked dog, and took the dumbell from her, promptly returned to me over the ring, and sat like " here is it mom- I got it for you.. " to a sideline of laughing spectators.. lolll..

Lori Jordan
10-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I have 3 females and 1 male,And personally Storm my little man is better behaved then the 3 females,as was my RB Bandit he was such a good boy,The females are brats lol.In the future i see myself only owning Males,Jamie is the opposite he would rather have Females.

KYS
10-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I have always had females so having only one male
it is hard for me to compare.

My male is more headstrong, high prey drive,
not as much as a pleas-er and thus not as
easy to train, he likes to have his way.
But he is sweeter, pushier and more lovable than my females.
(he loves attention and thinks he is a lap dog)

My females were pleasers, more independent, cleaner, but not as
affectionate.

I think it might depend on the individual dog?

Pembroke_Corgi
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I haven't noticed any major differences in my dogs. I have two females and one male. The difference between my dogs is mainly from their breed.

The male (Vallis) and one female (Marta) are corgis, and it is scary how much they think alike sometimes.

The other female (Adele) is a greyhound mix, and she has a different disposition entirely.

They are all great dogs though! :)

Ginger's Mom
10-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I have never had a male, so maybe I should just keep my fingers shut, but I do have something I want to add any way. :) First, let me say that I think females are smarter in that they do not need to be "taught" as much as boys do. They seem to figure things out for themselves faster. My sister has always had male dogs (5 at various times), and now has her first female... :) ...she is going crazy trying to keep up with all of the things she is getting into/exploring/figuring out. Second, female dogs are more up front, or are more willing ask for what they want. Here is an experiment for some of you people with both male and female dogs. Put a dog treat in your pocket when the dogs aren't around. Then just walk around like normal, see how your dogs react to that cookie in your pocket. My guess is that the female will either nudge your pocket or give you her paw (or whatever she knows will work), while the male will either just look at you longingly or just sniff the air. The girls will be more demonstrative for obtaining what they want. That is based on nothing but personal observation (bought cookies at a dog show to bring home to Peaches without even thinking about the effect it would have on the dogs walking around there).

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Anything with a sighthound in them will be different. Much more docile in all ways, but having a house of only borzois, I can see a pattern in my males verses my females. Even my younger two are brother and sister and approach life totally different. Zubin is much more of a lover than his sister. And his sister can think circles around him, and he doesnt even mind.. lol..
Femka is more spitful. When we first got her, if I left the house with another dog, she would go find their food bowl area of the dog I took and poop by their bowl... Irratating but funny!

ashleycat
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Charlie was easy to train, but he was really dominant. He was active and not really a cuddlr.

Runner is hard to train, but she is really sweet. Not much of a kisser, but she shows her affection. She's not very active and is mostly a couch potato.

luvofallhorses
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I think the girls are more affectionate, I've had mostly male dogs in my life and a few girl ones. but I think both of them are smart, although the males can be wild..;) but so can the girls ;)
..and of course the males are sweet, too. It just really depends on the dog..not really the gender of the dog. AND
I don't have a preference on the gender. :) but all of my dogs are affectionate and I have males and females all fixed of course. :) I do think some breeds are more affectionate than others and some are just independent dogs and not all that cuddly. but it's not the breed, really it just depends on the dog's personality imo. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I think a lot of times it depends on the breed, but overall, I wouldn't say either gender is sweet or smarter than the other. I do prefer females though (in Tollers and Belgians, anyway), simply because they are smaller, aren't as heavy in coat, often seem more active/exuberant, like to be close to you but aren't as glued to your side as males, I prefer a more feminine look, etc. Of course, there are exceptions to everything I just listed. I highly doubt I'll ever have any more male dogs..though I've thought about getting a male Toller someday.

MajesticCollies
10-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, I must say each individual collie has thier own personality. I love the variety of both sexes.

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I do too and think its funny there is a difference even brother and sister. Each adds their own " spice of life.."

Danegirl2208
10-29-2006, 01:11 PM
i prefer males..but ive only owned one female so its pretty hard to judge the two.

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 01:40 PM
I love the males size and coat. And I must admit, they are sweeter. However- i love how fast a female thinks.. lol.. Entertaining to say the least..

Almita
10-29-2006, 04:46 PM
For me i have no idea. For my dogs, my females that i had. Were crazy outgoing and yet lazy little dogs.

The males that i have had were outgoing, protective of the house, and not lazy at all.

Love That Collie
10-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Guess I should change my screen name to "Love Those Collies" instead since I have added another one to the household but will leave it the way it is.

I have mostly had male dogs but have had females too, more than one. I have added a new puppy, female, to my household that has a male. I haven't really seen a difference in gender where you could say one gender is more loving or more smart than the other. All of my dogs (majority being Collies) throughout my life had their own unique personality. The only difference I have seen in Collies is that the males are larger and usually have a heavier coat.

Other than that, the males and the females I have had were the same to train and somewhere someone said that it seemed to them that the males could "go" on command or something to that effect. All of my males and females have always done that. I guess they got tired of hearing me say "pee pee pee pee pee pee, pee pee outside.......good pee outside!" (LOL) And they just do "it" quickly to shut me up! :D

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Female; Less likely to roam. Not that it doesn't happen.

K9karen
10-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Hmmm..I'm having a hard time deciding...
Cody (RB) was loving and smart but so is Logan. I think Logan is a bit more "needy" because of her past circumstances, and just maybe my training skills are better too... (doubtful)

The main difference is that Cody was the "pee* king :rolleyes: , and loved water, whereas, Logan has amazing bladder control and isn't crazy about water.

Like people, I think every animal has their own special personality.

PJ's Mom
10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I prefer males over females. Most of the males I've known have been smarter and had a better personality than the females.

Of course, a dog is a dog, and I'd happily take either male or female anyday. :)

pitc9
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I always find it funny the difference. Even when I had shepherds, the males were more likely to take a nap verses the females that would only nap if the house was "Koser".

Yikes!! :eek:
My Shepherds are VERY opposite!!
My male is my bodyguard! Buddy will frequently check the house out during the night. He'll make rounds once I fall asleep, then again a few times a night he'll walk to the front and back door just to check things out.
Then there's Sierra... :rolleyes: She sleeps about 20 hours a day. I think she's part cat! :p She's scares herself more often then she scares people away! (She's still trying to figure out just how her shadow sneaks up on her so often!)

Buddy is my first male, and he is a mamma's boy 100%!!
And Sierra is the reason females are called bitches! :eek: :p