PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful Vet experience

dragonchilde
06-07-2002, 05:03 PM
I just had to share. There's a new service here in Macon, GA. Its called Vetcalls...an old Vet of mine bought a big van, and now does HOUSE CALLS! He's got a fantastic, well-equipped van, and his prices are great! He's been in practice for more than 15 years, so he's a very experienced Vet, and he's been my animals' Vet at PetSmart for years.

He was fast, and I got rabies shots for all three of my mom's animals (two cats and a dog), antibiotics for both cats (both had infections in their mouths) and some deworming pills for one of the cats, all cost us $119! I was thrilled. :) He charged only for the medicine, and a $26 house call fee. Going to Petsmart costs me at least $40! Not to mention the medicines they overcharge for, the million tests they always charge for (like worm test...I KNOW what kind of worms my cat has...he's gotten the same kind every 6 months for the last 13 years), and everything else.

For all three animals, the rabies shots breaks down to $12 per animal, plus the visit...that's $62. It would cost me at least that much for rabies shots PER ANIMAL if I went to Petsmart!

*dances* I just wanted to share! My three furbabies will be using him from now on.

Heather Wallace
06-07-2002, 05:10 PM
sounds really great and what a wonderful idea to have your surgery in a van.

moosmom
06-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Boy that vet sure has the right idea. We have a low cost spay/neuter van called T.E.A.M. (Tate's Every Animal Matters) that travels all over the State of Connecticut. For $49, you can have your cat spayed/neutered, all shots, treated for earmites, worms and fleas and have their nails trimmed. That's a bargain considering a vet automatically charges $25 just for an office visit!!

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2002, 11:24 PM
Wow! I wish they had something like that here. This could save me a lot of money. :)

tuxluvr
06-09-2002, 12:04 PM
....not to mention the emotional wear and tear from stressed kitties, travel boxes, and subsequent stressed mom&dad cats.....what a dream come true

sirocco
06-10-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
....not to mention the emotional wear and tear from stressed kitties, travel boxes, and subsequent stressed mom&dad cats.....what a dream come true

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I dread going to the vet even more that Sirocco or Neelix - the two last times I took Siro to the vet I ended in tears :o :o It's really hard to see the little ones sooo scared!!! When I had Siro neutered, I was offered to stay even in the operation (in fact, that's a good idea, if you can stand it all...... :eek: ) Of course I couldn't, when I saw the first effects of the anesthetic, and Sirocco fell on the floor like .... well, I started crying, and had to go out. I felt bad for Sirocco, and embarrased for my sake....:o :p

We have vets that do home visits here - but they're much more expensive than the others :(

Nita

06-10-2002, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sirocco
[B]
Of course I couldn't, when I saw the first effects of the anesthetic, and Sirocco fell on the floor like .... well, I started crying

I know exactly how you felt ............ . In Sydney's case , he suddenly started trying to throw up , although his stomach was empty ....... Is heartbreaking !!!

slleipnir
06-10-2002, 09:25 AM
I saw a show on TV about something like that :]

Randi
06-10-2002, 10:17 AM
It must be wonderful to have a vet do housecalls - ours do too, but it will cost about extra $ 50, so we haven't done it yet - and he would probably be under the bed impossible to get out, anyway! The vet is only 5 min. away, but we still have to sedate Fister and get him in the box! Luckily I can now get him to swallow a pill easily! When he's there, there's no problem, he gets a shot while in the box and he doesn't complain. We stay with him until he's asleep and can usually come and get him 3-4 hours later.

But, for minor things it would be great to have the vet come around!

NoahsMommy
06-12-2002, 07:47 PM
That is really a great idea! Too bad other vets haven't thought of it....hey, lets all pass on the idea at our next vet appointments? Sound good??? :)