PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin on Southpark... DISGUSTING!

kt_luvs_kitties
10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
How sick can people get? To make a joke of such a sad thing. And so soon after. I will boycott watching Southpark ever again (not that I watch it) but I hope others choose not to watch as well. Making fun of celebs is one thing, but the mockery of a horrendous death is another.

Read this sickening link below :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/irwin.southpark/index.html

South Park' mocks Steve Irwin
POSTED: 3:18 p.m. EDT, October 27, 2006
Adjust font size:
LONDON, England (CNN) -- The cartoon series "South Park" has never been shy of courting controversy, but its latest episode has caused outrage by featuring the recently deceased Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin.

Swearing and random death and destruction are staples of the cartoon, which has been broadcast since 1997. Irwin, killed by a stingray's barb while snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef in September is the latest celebrity to be lampooned by the show.

The episode, aired in the U.S. earlier this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Halloween fancy dress party. Other guests include Princess Diana, Hitler and rapper Notorious B.I.G. Critics have been appalled by the Irwin character's depiction in a bloodstained shirt and with a stingray still attached to his chest. (I-Report: What do you think?)

John Beyer of UK TV watchdog Mediawatch said: "This is such bad taste and the makers of 'South Park' should review their decision to show it. Steve's family are still grieving.

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive.''

"South Park" maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesperson for the company said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

The show holds the record for the most swear words spoken in one program, and regularly takes pot-shots at celebrities and makes fun of politics and religion.

Some tamer examples include George Clooney, mocked for his politically motivated Oscar acceptance speech, and lampooning Tom Cruise and John Travolta for their belief in Scientology. One episode with a depiction of a bleeding Virgin Mary so upset the Catholic Church that it was pulled from repeats of the series

BC_MoM
10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Southpark takes situations in the world and make jokes out of it - no one is forced to watch it, so they should stop complaining and find something else to watch. JMO.

kt_luvs_kitties
10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I think it has to do with moral. Some people just dont have any... to watch such a thing.

buttercup132
10-28-2006, 10:28 PM
"It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."
I watch it every night and no I am not shocked.
Its not the first time they have made fun of him either. The other time was before his death though.

I dont really know what to say.

Please dont get mad at me , maybe its just because I watch it all the time I dont know. If something like that was on the Simpsons Id have the same view.

Lady's Human
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM
It's South Park. It's their MO. THey push the edges, and get a reaction, and the reaction gets ratings.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Muddy4paws
10-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Im not shocked at all.. After all its southpark, I wont watch it because I think its very irritating! its exactly how BC_Mom says it, no one is forced to watch it.. I personally didnt like to watch Steve Urwin much but I wouldnt say anything bad or mock him at all, I think he was a VERY brave man and it was clear that he really loved the job he was doing so If people want to mock him let them, But I do think the time gap is very disrespectful and I'll be suprised if there wasnt a stand by it.

wolfsoul
10-28-2006, 11:44 PM
In my opinion, it's between South Park and Steve Irwin's family -- nobody else's business to dispute. If someone has a problem with the show, or the show's many immoralities, they shouldn't watch it.

Twisterdog
10-29-2006, 09:19 AM
"South Park" maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesperson for the company said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

Anyone who has ever watched ten minutes of Southpark knows to expect things like that. Anyone who has ever heard of Southpark, for that matter, knows what it's about.

I can't imagine thinking Southpark would not do something like that. It's what they do.

I agree with everyone else ... don't like it, don't watch it. I personally think about 75% if television is stupid, offensive and trashy. Therefore, I don't watch it.

Argranade
10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
That's so stupid. :mad:

I never seen a south park episode in my life actualy, I find that show lame and just plain stupid, The Simpsons on the other hand for me is better, I mean how can one not resist that awsome ''DH'OP''. :D

How much more stupid can the creators of that show get! most likley alot more stupid.

I hope Steve's family never saw it.

Miss Z
10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
South Park, IMO, is cheap crap. It doesn't have decent effects, decent animators, decent voices, and it's not even scratching the surface of funny. It's a waste of electricity to watch it, in my honest opinion, and really I can't understand how anyone could even understand what the character's are saying, never mind laugh at it :confused: The more people complain about it, the more media attention it gets, which unfortunately attracts more viewers.

Alysser
10-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I watch SouthPark once in awhile when I'm really bored, or there is nothing else on. That's really not to often. I sometimes think its funny, personally, it's mostly funny when they make fun of people/celebs I hate. But if it's a REALLY controversial issue, like 9/11 for example, I get pissed off and I change the channel.

I don't know what to say about the Steve Irwin thing. They should have definately asked permission from Terry first.

BC_MoM
10-29-2006, 11:30 AM
South Park, IMO, is cheap crap. It doesn't have decent effects, decent animators, decent voices,

That's the whole point of the show.......

Husky15
10-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Although it angers me that they would do this, it does not surprise me. South Park is an +18 rated animated comedy - or at least it is someplaces. They're allowed to push the envelope more then other animated comedies like say The Simpsons (PG) and Family Guy (+14) so they're gonna do it - it's what they're about. They've made fun of so many more celebrities, not just Steve. I choose not to watch the show, but I find the theme song catchy.

sirrahved
10-29-2006, 06:16 PM
I personally love southpark. Trey and Matt are not afraid to express political, religious, and moral views on their television show.

I also must confess that I found Steve Irwin's death not at all surprising. I would never mock it on national television, but they have a right to free speech. People in the public eye, I suppose, must know that they will have good things and bad things said about them. In life and in death.

mugsy
10-30-2006, 07:26 AM
I have never liked that show. I have a friend who used to watch it all the time and thought it was funny. I don't know if he still does or not, but, I have always found the show offensive, so never watch it. Simple as that. If you find it offensive, there is such a thing as a remote control that allows you to change the channel.

If enough people would STOP watching it even though they are offended then maybe it will go away, but, if not, just don't watch!

dogzr#1
10-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Unfortuantly it is South Park, and the things that come up on South Park are disgusting, horrible, and sometimes funny etc. I've seen a few episodes of South Park. Yeah, to me the ones I saw were funny, but then again, they were making fun of Michael Jackson and Tom Cruise :p . I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'm going to stop here and just say that I agree with everybody else "If you dont like it, dont watch it".

Luvin Labs
11-03-2006, 10:29 PM
People will not stop watching South Park as it is a very funny show.

As for saying people who watch this have no morals :mad: , that opinion thankfully is just that... an opinion... people can still have morals and watch SP yaknow

I saw the episode, I was a tad suprised to see it, then cracked up when the devil said what I was thinking, and cracked up some more later.

People who get righteously pissed off because of a mere minute (if that) worth of the show need to calm down. Its only a show.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that...

Aspen and Misty
11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I can't believe that this is being brushed off as "just normal". A man has DIED, his family is in MOURING and there is a television show publicly humiliating him. You all may think of Steve as "just a television star" but that is not all this man is. He is a FATHER, a HUSBAND, a SON, a FAMILY MEMBER. He is not just a man on T.V. he is a living breathing person with a family that cares about him and that is currently mourning loosening him. Do you all forget Bindi, Bob and Terri so easily?? Do those children’s faces and the face of his heartbroken wife escape your minds so quickly? Can you imagine if your father died and someone made of funny of him for his death and the thing the he devoted his life to? Can you imagine how upset you would be? If any of you have ever lost someone close to you, you know how much this would devastate you. And no, just because he was a television star does not mean he deserves this, this kind of action does NOT come with being a Television star. There used to be such a thing as morals, kindness and caring about other people. Or is our world so corrupt that we have all forgotten this?

To me, if this really is the “normal” or if everyone considers publicly making fun a man who died while his family is still grieving ok then we need to stop, take a step back and rethink where the world is going. I feel that we already live in a world that widely does not care about the other people. I'm so glad that our public television is promoting this way of thinking.

Ashley

dab_20
11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Very good post, Ashley. That is exactly how I feel. If anyone ever made fun of someone so close to me after his or her death, that would be completely devastating. How can people stoop so low? This poor family is grieving their father and husband's death. How awful... :(

But as some of you said... If you don't like it, don't watch it. That is why I don't watch it.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Just wanted to add that I agree. I feel that if it was their grandfather, father, husband, brother, friend they would feel differently. :rolleyes:

And No I did not watch it... Dont have to, to know that it is wrong.

People keep saying "dont like it dont watch it"... Well, I dont see animal abuse happening day to day... But I know it is there, and it bothers me. Same thing. Just stand there and let them do it? I dont think so.....

dab_20
11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
People keep saying "dont like it dont watch it"... Well, I dont see animal abuse happening day to day... But I know it is there, and it bothers me. Same thing. Just stand there and let them do it? I dont think so.....

Good point.

king2005
11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Southpark takes situations in the world and make jokes out of it - no one is forced to watch it, so they should stop complaining and find something else to watch. JMO.

I agree 100%. I watch the show & think its funny. I like it for pure shock & OMG I can't beleive they just said that on tv!

I think it was horrible that Steve passed away, but I'm still not offened by the show, because thats what the show is all about.

I don't like those religion programs as I think they are total BS, so guess what.. I don't watch them. I don't go crying to everyone about my whys about those programs, because some people like it & I have no right to stop people from watching stuff they like. Just like I shouldn't be stopped to watch things I like.

I'm 1/2 awake, so I hope that made sence.

Sevaede
11-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Just wanted to add that I agree. I feel that if it was their grandfather, father, husband, brother, friend they would feel differently. :rolleyes:

And No I did not watch it... Dont have to, to know that it is wrong.

Yeah, but there is a difference between make believe and real life.

It's not like South Park takes something, makes it a terrible situation, and leaves it to fix itself. It's making a comment on things happening, have already happened, or just pure nonsense.

Edited to add: I don't believe they were making fun of him BECAUSE he died or anything. I think they were poking fun at a public icon. They did it with Tom Cruise, etc.

You know the creators are halfways TRYING to irritate you, right?

HONESTLY, I do NOT see why anyone is surprised or didn't see this coming. Irritating people and making fun of others is half of what this show is about. If you don't like it, then PLEASE, ignore the talking pieces of construction paper.

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, as many have said before, it's Southpark. It jabs and has extremely controversial episodes because it makes the show famous, and it worked.

I also agree with Luvin Labs. Thankfully it IS an opinion, because that seriously pissed me off that people say those who watch the show have no morals. I hardly watch it but I do think it's funny. I know the line between reality and fantasy, I don't take what I see on Southpark to the head.

GreyhoundGirl
11-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't believe that this is being brushed off as "just normal". A man has DIED, his family is in MOURING and there is a television show publicly humiliating him. You all may think of Steve as "just a television star" but that is not all this man is. He is a FATHER, a HUSBAND, a SON, a FAMILY MEMBER. He is not just a man on T.V. he is a living breathing person with a family that cares about him and that is currently mourning loosening him. Do you all forget Bindi, Bob and Terri so easily?? Do those children’s faces and the face of his heartbroken wife escape your minds so quickly? Can you imagine if your father died and someone made of funny of him for his death and the thing the he devoted his life to? Can you imagine how upset you would be? If any of you have ever lost someone close to you, you know how much this would devastate you. And no, just because he was a television star does not mean he deserves this, this kind of action does NOT come with being a Television star. There used to be such a thing as morals, kindness and caring about other people. Or is our world so corrupt that we have all forgotten this?

To me, if this really is the “normal” or if everyone considers publicly making fun a man who died while his family is still grieving ok then we need to stop, take a step back and rethink where the world is going. I feel that we already live in a world that widely does not care about the other people. I'm so glad that our public television is promoting this way of thinking.

Ashley

Amen to that !

I, personally, don't see why people watch that show. Some of the kids in my school say it's really funny, and I watched on show and it wasn't funny. And the animation is way out of wack. It doesn't have much of a story, either. What I can't understand is why people would watch a show where, really, nothing happens. :confused:

Some of you are saying "it's southpark". SO, because this show does this all the time, that makes it less wrong? I'd think it bad enough them doing it once, but you are trying to defend them by saying "they do it all the time." :rolleyes:

Again, that is just my opinion.

junescrater716
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Oh get over it!!! No offense but you don't have to watch it!!! I myself didn't much care for Steve Irwin but I still feel sorry for his family! You don't have to watch the show if you don't like it!!!

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
[/QUOTE]Some of you are saying "it's southpark". SO, because this show does this all the time, that makes it less wrong? I'd think it bad enough them doing it once, but you are trying to defend them by saying "they do it all the time." :rolleyes:

Again, that is just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

We're not defending them. We're just saying what the truth is. Most people know what Southpark is like, so the only thing we can say to complainers is that it's Southpark. We're not going into detail about why it's such a wonderful show or anything.
:rolleyes:

Sevaede
11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Some of you are saying "it's southpark". SO, because this show does this all the time, that makes it less wrong? I'd think it bad enough them doing it once, but you are trying to defend them by saying "they do it all the time." :rolleyes:

Again, that is just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

We're not defending them. We're just saying what the truth is. Most people know what Southpark is like, so the only thing we can say to complainers is that it's Southpark. We're not going into detail about why it's such a wonderful show or anything.
:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I am not saying that it's a fantastic show or anything. It just is what it is. It's a show based on the creators opinions and just because yours is different doesn't mean it's going to do anything for theirs.

Cubby'sMom
11-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Agreed. I am not saying that it's a fantastic show or anything. It just is what it is. It's a show based on the creators opinions and just because yours is different doesn't mean it's going to do anything for theirs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ;)

Luvin Labs
11-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, as many have said before, it's Southpark. It jabs and has extremely controversial episodes because it makes the show famous, and it worked.

I also agree with Luvin Labs. Thankfully it IS an opinion, because that seriously pissed me off that people say those who watch the show have no morals. I hardly watch it but I do think it's funny. I know the line between reality and fantasy, I don't take what I see on Southpark to the head.

Yeah that comment pissed me off more than anything. That person's opinion is definitely not based on fact. :rolleyes:

Jeez, the cartoon Steve was on the show for less than 25 seconds out of a 30 minute show. It's just a cartoon.

Cubby'sMom
11-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah that comment pissed me off more than anything. That person's opinion is definitely not based on fact. :rolleyes:

Jeez, the cartoon Steve was on the show for less than 25 seconds out of a 30 minute show. It's just a cartoon.

Definitely not :rolleyes:

GreyhoundGirl
11-12-2006, 07:05 AM

It's not really just a cartoon. It's someone's family, I know I wouldn't like it if a cartoon made fun of a late member of my family.

ESPECIALLY, if some people found it funny or amusing.

Alysser
11-12-2006, 07:50 AM

I agree the comment that got you pissed off was uncalled for. People shouldn't be judging others based on a show they watch or based on the person's own opinion.

But regardless of how long it was on, that doesn't make it okay. People here have cried when Steve died, and I'm not embarrased to say I was one of them. If I saw my dad/mom/sister/ect. being made fun of on a show after there death, I know I would be REALLY pissed off and angry that someone could be that sick as to make fun of a dead person, who still has a GRIEVING family.

zoey
11-12-2006, 08:06 AM
I"ve never liked Southpark. I find it taseless, indeed!

Miss Z
11-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Ashley

I agree with you 100%. As I posted before, I just don't get Southpark so don't watch it anyway, but, as some people said about not watching it if you don't like it, just because I don't watch it doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. Of course as some have said there's a difference between reality and fictional tv programmes, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any less hurtful to Steve's family and those who knew him well.

It's not just Steve who is, yes, I'll use the word 'discriminated' against, but other people too. I'm sure everyone knows how Jews have been portrayed on the show.

I'm sure if Southpark had made an episode of pitbull-figthing, which I would put money on that it will be made someday, then we'd have had a very different reaction. Just from my own point of view.

buttercup132
11-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I love the show and will continue to watch it every night like I have been for years.

Everyone has their own opinion on what they like to watch I personally find it humerous. I bet some of you who think Michale Jackson is some creep petafile would not give a care in the world if they made fun of him like they have many times, or to those of you who dont like Paris Hilton Im sure you wouldnt care then.

They made another episode that I watched the other day making fun of this exact argument going on here.

Also just because this thread is a little heated for some people dosent mean it's suddenly ok to be swearing!

Noone is making you watch the show.

dogzr#1
11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, it is true that nobody is making us watch SouthPark and we don't have to watch it if we don't want to, but just because we don't watch it doesn't mean we can't take offense to whatever they show. (that sounded confusing...XD)

It may be 'normal' for them to show that, but it is still wrong. How would you like it if your dad died while at sea and then somebody made a show out of it and millions of people worldwide were laughing at it? I'm sure you wouldn't like it one bit!

And no, I'm not going to just "get over it" like nothing. I really liked Steve Irwin and this really does hurt me to know they were/are making fun of his death. I don't watch SouthPark much, and probobly won't ever watch it much, but that doesn't mean an episode can't hurt me. I think SouthPark should be cancelled or something. JMO,

Sevaede
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, then I really don't know what to offer. I know that just because they are who they are doesn't make it okay (because that's what they do anyways). I have to respect though that everyone has different opinions and, as well, different senses of humour, free speech, etc.

I am curious as to how his family feels about this, honestly. I guess when you're in the public eye it puts you in the position for greater ridicule which is sad.

I would try contacting Comedy Central as they are the ones who've really made the show available. If the creators really do have the sense of humour that they portray then they probably won't be to open to suggestions, unfortunately.

For those who are upset, I understand how you feel. I don't find the episode particularly funny, most certainly not the subject, etc.

CountryWolf07
11-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Not shocked about this. Why? Southpark is stupid. It's all they can do - make fun of the things that happen in this world. So unethical & very unmoral.