PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a good thing????? or mean well???

Dustys People 2
10-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Ok opened up my home page tonight and found this article. http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?ps=1020&id=13197040&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS . All animal lovers beware of BOISE, Idaho!!!!!! :mad:

wolf_Q
10-27-2006, 10:48 PM
For the record, it's Coeur d'Alene not Boise. Maybe I'm off here, but I don't see the problem. Sad as it is, there are sick people in the world who would want to hurt a black cat as part of a halloween ritual. If this shelter had a very strict adoption process (including home visits, vet check, references, etc.) then this is completely unnecessary. But as far as I know, most of the shelters around here (run by the city/county) do not have very strict adoption policies, I could probably walk right in and adopt any cat or dog I wanted without any hassle (which means anyone could do the same). If anything, this will probably give the black cats *more* attention, who knows maybe they will all be adopted after halloween? We can only hope. :)

Petco (here at least) does not carry bunnies in the store around Easter, which I think is good, it prevents "impulse" buys, if somebody really wants a rabbit they can wait.

Glacier
10-27-2006, 11:21 PM
For the record, it's Coeur d'Alene not Boise. Maybe I'm off here, but I don't see the problem.

I'm not seeing the problem either. Every shelter, rescue, cat group I've ever worked with bans the adoption of black cats around Halloween. The shelter I work with now will allow you to pick out the cat and place a hold on it. You can take the cat home in early November. If you really want that cat waiting a few days won't be a issue.

We actually have a 24 hour wait before an approved adopter can take home any animal, any time of year. You'd be amazed how many people never come back to pick up the animal they wanted the day before!

kitten645
10-28-2006, 01:11 AM
See this thread

Black Cats (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=115017)

Don Juan's mom
10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
The Peninsula Humane Society in San Mateo County (near KAK, ReddHedd and me) is taking a different direction: San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15834692.htm)

The adoption center at the Petsmart near me has had a six-month-old blackie named Comstock the last couple of times I've been in there. I'm really having to grit my teeth to keep from taking him home myself. And I'd hate to think that he might miss out on a home because of this particular holiday. :(

Liz

catmandu
10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
The Sad Thing Is That If Someone Was Really Going To Hurt A Black Cat, They Would Adopt Him A Few Months Before Halloween.
Its Terrible When These People Play Act With These Stupid Rituals, And Harm Innocent Animals In The Process.
I Sincerely Hope They Do Eventually Meet Satan.
They Deserve Each Other.

moosmom
10-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Be it Halloweend or whatever holiday, that are FAR too many black cats in shelters. People have this superstition about them that is really sad and totally unwarranted. But I still believe "limit" on black cats during halloween. There are some pretty sick people out there.