PDA

View Full Version : Petco - Where the pets go??? A vent

moosmom
10-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Last night I was working at Petco. I absolutely LOVE this job!! I wish they'd hire me full-time, but that's not gonna happen.

Anyhoo, so there I was minding my own business, when this family of 4, Mom, Dad and two young boys came in. It seems that people think Petco is a petting zoo. :rolleyes:

There is a step stool we use (especially us "vertically challenged" employees) to reach the top tanks where the gerbils, mice, etc. are. This little kid (or should I say freaking MONSTER!!) around 4 years of age, proceeds to climb up on the stool, all the while his mother is just standing there watching him :eek:, and starts banging on the glass of the gerbil cage. I walk over and ask him very nicely to get down as I didn't want to see him fall and hurt himself. He looks at me (he must be the bad seed of the family) and screams "NO!!!!" and keeps banging on the glass, scaring the poor animals. This idiot mother just watches him and says nothing. I wanted to smack the 6itch!! I repeat myself. Again, the kid screams "NO!!! I then proceed to politely to say, "Honey, I don't want you to fall and hurt yourself" and I lift him up underneath his arms to put him on the floor. He's holding onto the ledge of the tank screaming "NO!!!!! and crying. I put him on the floor.

What does the mother do?? She starts screaming at me in broken Englsih (she was Spanish) "Don't touch my child!! Keep your hands off my child!! I apologized profusely and explained that he was scaring the animals and I didn't want him to fall on the floor and hurt himself. She's now really pissed off and takes the little $%#@*&, puts him in a carriage and rolls him up to the tank where he AGAIN starts banging on the glass. I threw my hands up in the air and walked away, putting my hand in the air as if to say, TALK TO THE HAND!!

She then goes and finds the manager and complains for like 15 minutes about how she should sue the store. The manager politely asks her what she would do if the kid fell and seriously hurt himself. "Well, I'd sue your asses!"

Lesson learned. Dawn, the manager, said that not to worry, but next time just let the little @#$%^&*'s fall on the floor and crack open their skulls. Okay by me!! She said I had plenty of witnesses as to what went on. I told her I was going out to my car for my medicine before I killed somebody (meaning the stupid parent). As I was walking back in, another customer stopped me and said, "You know, you didn't do anything wrong. What IS it with parents today? That kid should've been strapped into the kid's seat of the carriage, not climbing all over the place". It made me feel SO much better.

Okay, I'm done venting now. Just confirms how much I loathe little unbehaved children. I'm SO glad my kid is 30.

*sigh*

zoomer
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh my god what a 6itchy mom and what a stupid little monster!!! :mad: I think I would have punched her if I were there and I was in your shoes... and not to menchion I am NOT patient with kids that that. I'm sorry that happened to you, and if his mom didn't want you touching her child then she should have got him down herself! Who is she letting her kids bang on animal cages, yelling at you for HELPING the animals, and then threatening to SUE the store? That is one dumb ass lady.... :mad:

RedHedd
10-27-2006, 09:05 AM
UGH! I would have done the same thing. What is that mother teaching her son about how to treat animals? :mad:

I LOVE going to Petco because it IS where the pets go. At our local Petco I love seeing people bring their pets in, especially the dogs. They're SO happy; like little kids set loose in a candy store. The people who work there even have sample stations just like in grocery stores, except they hand out samples of food to the animals. It's so much fun.

Quite often I'll go there just to cheer myself up. I don't consider it a petting zoo, but it is fun looking at all the different animals available. Mine used to have birds, but I guess that stopped a few years ago. :(

borzoimom
10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
That mother is a fool! I would never let my child get into a position they could get hurt- its hard enough to keep them safe when you are vigilant in their behaviors. You have a good manager. Too bad you didnt have another employee near you that could have gotten the manager when this happened while you stayed to stop the child.
Unfortunately= even if you tried to stop the child, if the child did get hurt, they could actually sue.. You were right to intervene. In the post office, we had what was called a incident report. You just write what happened incase later they do try to sue the company. Ask your manager about it. Also the manager has the right to tell the people not to return to such a situation, and maybe the manager to see if they come back in.. YOu have the right to protect the companies " property" which the animals are part of that..

critter crazy
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
This is why I cannot stand to work where I have to deal with people! I cannot tolerate behavior like this! Those poor kids, having a mother like that will get nowhere in life!!!:mad:

Blue_Frog
10-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow! The joys of working in the kinds of stores that parents think are entertainment for little billy and co. Ohhh, do I EVER feel your pain!

I worked in a Toy store for 5 years - i completely understand. And often, its these kids being little s**ts because the parents are just plain fools! Kids throwing things, tantrums, destroyed packaging, climbing on shelves, you name it! Unfortunately, it comes back to bad parenting. I'd like to blame the kids, but its usually the way they were raised.

Here are 2 of my favourite bad-parent stories from the Toy Store ...

A customer came up to me and asked "Oh, do you see that woman over there" (pointing to a lady rapidly dragging her little kid from the store).
I'm like: "Yeah, what about her?"
Customer: "She just took a bin of plastic animals off the shelf and let the kid pee in them"
Me: *dumbfounded* What?!
... I go over to look, and sure enough .... pee in the bin of animals. Straight to the back room, and straight to the garbage. We had a bathroom, if she'd been desperate - ask - but to do that? What kind of parenting is that :eek:

My get-back-at-bad-parent story: We had parents that thought we were a free daycare -- drop off the kids while they go to Sears and the rest of the mall for a couple of hours. I'd -often- run across 3-4 year olds alone in the store, and more often than not they'd be sitting quietly playing with stuff, but still. I had a good working relationship with the security people, so i'd give them a call and have one come to the store.
We'd ask little billy "Hey kiddo, you want the super-cool special behind the scenes trip in the mall?" (i.e the trip to the security office), and he'd take the kid off.

A while later the parent would come to the store, walk around, walk around again more frantically and finally ask me "Have you seen a little boy/girl of description whatever?". "Sure" I'd say, "They left here with a guy in a suit" (meaning security) -- they'd run frantically to the info kiosk to report a missing kid(almost right outside our store), where security would come with the kid and SCREAM at the in front of the whole mall about child abandonment and responsibilitly. Mean? Sure. But hopefully it teaches them a little responsibility and not leaving a 3 year old unattended in public!

Unfortunately, working in a toy store for 5 years (plus working Chrismas rush!) has completely ruined any desire I had left to have kids of my own! :rolleyes:

BC_MoM
10-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm sure all the other customers felt the same as the one who said you did nothing wrong. And I agree with them. I can't STAND parents like that - who don't stop their children from doing idiotic things.

Congrats on controlling your temper so well! Can't say I would have been able to! lol

GreyhoundGirl
10-27-2006, 10:22 AM
This is why I cannot stand to work where I have to deal with people! I cannot tolerate behavior like this! Those poor kids, having a mother like that will get nowhere in life!!!:mad:

We are one of mind.

It IS sort of like a petting zoo, people can bring in their little monsters and people can marvel at how stupid they both can be. ;)

You did well, much better than I would have. And you have a good manager. :)

A customer came up to me and asked "Oh, do you see that woman over there" (pointing to a lady rapidly dragging her little kid from the store).
I'm like: "Yeah, what about her?"
Customer: "She just took a bin of plastic animals off the shelf and let the kid pee in them"
Me: *dumbfounded* What?!
... I go over to look, and sure enough .... pee in the bin of animals. Straight to the back room, and straight to the garbage. We had a bathroom, if she'd been desperate - ask - but to do that? What kind of parenting is that :eek:

WHAT ?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:( RIP Poor little critters.

Blue_Frog
10-27-2006, 10:31 AM
WHAT ?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:
:( RIP Poor little critters.
OH SNAP! Sorry - that was badly explained! it was a Plastic Bin of Plastic animals (like 3-inch long tigers or something!) Oops!

:)

ramanth
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
This is why I'm so glad I don't work in public service anymore.

*HUGS* Donna. Good on you for keeping your cool. I'm not sure if I could have.

Man Blue Frog... letting a kid pee in a toy store!?!? :eek: :confused: I just don't get some people.

Zippy
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I can't believe that.You did a good job and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.I love to go to petco and look at all the pets and new products.I don't ever ask to hold or pet the animals inless I am planning to buy one.That mom is going to end up with her kid in jail someday.

GreyhoundGirl
10-27-2006, 10:34 AM
OH SNAP! Sorry - that was badly explained! it was a Plastic Bin of Plastic animals (like 3-inch long tigers or something!) Oops!

:)

PHEW ! I was thinking hampsters and ginea pigs. STOP SCARING ME!!! :p

catnapper
10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Donna, that is appalling!!! :mad: :mad:

I swear, some people do things like that just so they CAN sue. No matter the outcome -- either her kid falls and she sues or someone puts their hands on her child and she sues.

We have those doggy steps in our store as a center display. Or should I say we HAD them as a center display? People would let their kids climb up and down the doggy steps and leave them to do their shopping as if the doggy steps were a jungle gym! :eek: The floor is very slippery in the store and those steps would go sliding around while the kids were on it. The parents didn't care. Now the steps are on a shelf with another shelf just above it so that nobody can climb on them.

moosmom
10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Blue_Frog,

Wow! That 5 year old COULD have been abducted by some pedophile. Then you know what would've happened?? The parents would've sued the store. Some people, like all animals, need to be spayed or neutered. The stupidity of parents these days amazes me.

I've heard nightmare stories about people who just dump their kids off at toy stores to play while they shop. They are the ones that need to be in jail.

I hope I never see that family again.

On a lighter note...

I was putting new arrival mice in their tanks. First time since I've been there that I did that. I was kissing them and talking to them as I put them in. My manager was laughing so hard, she came over to me and said, "Donna, if you insist on doing that with every mouse that just arrived, you'll be here till next week!!" She walked away laughing and shaking her head. I told the guy who delivered them that I felt bad that they would become some snake's dinner. He told me, "Yeah, well in all my years in this business, I've never heard of a vegetarian snake." :rolleyes:

Did I say how much I love this job??? :D:D:D

Blue_Frog
10-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Blue_Frog,
On a lighter note...

I was putting new arrival mice in their tanks. First time since I've been there that I did that. I was kissing them and talking to them as I put them in. My manager was laughing so hard, she came over to me and said, "Donna, if you insist on doing that with every mouse that just arrived, you'll be here till next week!!" She walked away laughing and shaking her head. I told the guy who delivered them that I felt bad that they would become some snake's dinner. He told me, "Yeah, well in all my years in this business, I've never heard of a vegetarian snake." :rolleyes:

*lol* thats cute :D It sounds like you've got yourself a great job (except for the occasional crazy customer ;)), and your manager sounds like a good guy to work for too! I'd love to spend my work day with animals too ... maybe i can smuggle the ferrets in under my desk!

elizabethann
10-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Wonderful experience. :mad:

Sounds like she came to America just so she can sue someone and get rich. God help us all.

You played it cool....I would have kicked them out of the store. But then she would have sued me for discrimination I guess.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-27-2006, 01:22 PM
What a nightmare. I can't believe that some people actually feel that by giving their child no boundaries they are doing them a favor. :rolleyes:

If that happens again (which hopefully won't happen) I would ask the parent to move the child if the child refuses. It they refuse, you could say something like, "Ma'am if you don't move your son I will have to." Just to cover all of your bases.

I'm glad your manager was understanding. I actually feel sorry for the boy if his mother lets him behave that way. He will have a hard life. :(

ramanth
10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I keeping thinking of Darla in "Finding Nemo" tapping on the aquarium glass with Star repeating "Find a happy place! Find a happy place!"

:D

CathyBogart
10-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Working at Petco was a horrible experience for me. I cannot sit by and just let someone's little bratleigh stress animals out just because the parents are too dumb to stop them. I won't. That's one reason I'll never work in pet stores again. :mad:

buttercup132
10-27-2006, 02:17 PM
If this kid was acting like this in a store with animals then I feel sorry for the ones he has at home (assuming he dose and thats why they were in there) I bet even if her son scared the crap out of one so much that they died the lady wouldnt of cared!:mad:

Although I dont think you touching her child was right, I think you should have told the mom and if she did nothing get your manager.

Hopefully they wont come back. They should not have animals.And have a restraining order from all animals

I'm not trying to be racist or putting it against any forgin people but I think people that arent from very developed places dont know how to care for animals properly, not all of them but mostly when I see cruelty cases on tv its forgin people and when I see kids doing things like that at pet stores they are forgin too.

Sevaede
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I feel for ya Donna and everyone else with experiences like this.

I worked at a small, locally owned, pet shop for a while. People would come in and stick their fingers in the bird cages and wonder why they got bitten! :rolleyes: They all seemed to love to stick their hands in the cages of the ones known to be a little, um, naughty. Rainbow Lory, for example.

They have these lock-type things on most of the cage tops. Sometimes people would come in and just pull mice (or other critter) out of the cage to pet and play with. Even when there were multiple signs to not touch animals or cages without assistance. :rolleyes: It really aggravated me because these little babies can JUMP and RUN.

Hmm. This has to be a topper for the times that I worked at Pet Zone.

One time, I was working and I was literally locking the doors when these three little teenagers (1 girl, 2 boys) come in. They want to look at the mice and I point them to the cage. I was suspicious so I hung around on the other side of the area (yes, they could see me). I heard them talking about buying a mouse so they could set it loose inside of Burger King! :eek: I quickly told my asst manager and she told me not to sell anything to them but they decided not to, anyways. :)

GreyhoundGirl
10-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I could never work in a pet store. I thought Petco and petsmart would be better than most, though. I guess not, because they're bigger. :(

I'd be horrible in a store like ThePetStore because everytime someone was interested in buying a puppy/kitten I'd be like "Did you know that pup probably came from a puppy mill? Yup, it'll have loads of health problems, too. You'd be better off with a mix from the pound. That's what I'd do."

Hey, maybe I should get a job there and use it as public awareness. :D For smarter dog owners.

GreyhoundGirl
10-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Yesterday he made a mess of my doves cage and there where feathers all over, I got SO mad I broke into tears and my dad did NOT even give a flying fudge! :mad: my stupid little brother could have realy hurt my doves. Now I moved my doves on a higher spot where he can't reach them and my mom is going to put a lock on my room where all my pets are.

Wish I could do that as protection from my OLDER brother. But of course, Jen moves rooms, so it wouldn't work. But URG ! Does my brother abuse that dog... Locks her in her crate and jabs her face with sticks... Constantly screaming at her, stepping on her tail every chance he gets, PEEING IN HER WATER DISH :mad: :mad: :mad:

I bet you anything, ANYTHING that my (hem hem ) brother will be arrested for animal abuse someday. :D But I mustn't get my hopes up. ;)

And he is supposed to set the example. I mean, a 4-year-old, sort of excusable... But a 15 YEAR OLD???

The most annoying part is, it's my dog, so if I report him to the OSPCA, I'll lose Jenny. :(

Alysser
10-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I can just imagine what the little angel will be like when he gets older... :rolleyes: People really need to stop thinking their children are perfect angels and pay attention.

Today, I was walking Sassy and waiting for my three friends to get off their elementry school bus and this 4th grader comes up to me and doesn't even ask to pet Sassy. She just does it! Sassy bites and can be very vicious if she feels crowded! Kids were getting off the bus and passing us in a crowd and Sassy was cowering in fear. I told the girl to stop and she ignored me. My 5th grade and 4th grade friends finally told her to stop and she left all fuming. Then, I notice these three triplets that live on my block. They were being so well behaved just standing there with their dad. It amazes me how someone can teach triplets not to go up to a strange dog yet someone cannot teach one kid to even listen.. :rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Some parents are really hard to believe. And we wonder what's wrong with so many kids these days? If they live with these morons for parents, how else will they turn out?

Donna, you showed remarkable restraint in holding back from punching someone. I'm not so sure I could have held my cool so well.

I get this all the time at my job. Parents bring their kids to the library for entertainment. Entertainment, aka; expecting library staff to babysit for them. Witnessing the ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. The kids are out of control, while the parents completely ignore them and usually condone their bad behavior. Don't let us do or say anything to better the situation or a quick reprimand is sure to come. We usually end up calling the security guard to remove them from the building.

I'm glad you love your job and I hope you don't have any more experiences like that :)

Laura's Babies
10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
My feeling is this.... If you want to let your kid act disrespectful to YOU, and you don't care how high he climbs, what he climbs on, or what he does that could result in injury or just act like a monster, while you are at home..... That is ONE THING! At home that is YOUR business!

But inflicting that on others in public is a whole new ball game, that MAKES it everybody's business! To disrespect animals and other people, if you can't keep your child in check... KEEP IT HOME and out of public!

That was one of mine and my friends biggest gripe, we'd go out to have a nice quiet, relaxing dinner to catch up and some kid would be running around screaming while the parents acted like nothing was happening... :rolleyes:

Giselle
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Wish I could do that as protection from my OLDER brother. But of course, Jen moves rooms, so it wouldn't work. But URG ! Does my brother abuse that dog... Locks her in her crate and jabs her face with sticks... Constantly screaming at her, stepping on her tail every chance he gets, PEEING IN HER WATER DISH :mad: :mad: :mad:

I bet you anything, ANYTHING that my (hem hem ) brother will be arrested for animal abuse someday. :D But I mustn't get my hopes up. ;)

And he is supposed to set the example. I mean, a 4-year-old, sort of excusable... But a 15 YEAR OLD???

The most annoying part is, it's my dog, so if I report him to the OSPCA, I'll lose Jenny. :(

I hate brothers... Don't you?

Same.
Let me get this straight. Your fifteen-year-old brother:
1) locks Jenny up in the crate to jab at her with sticks
2) steps on her tail for amusement
3) urinates in her water dish
+ a plethora of emotional abuse

WOW.

If I knew your location, I would report you myself.

The SPCA's job is to prevent cruelty. If you acknowledge the fact that she would be taken away if they knew of the abuse that goes on in your house, you're acknowledging the fact that she is enduring intolerable ABUSE and that she does not need to live under your household. It's also worthy to note that animal abusers have a higher rate of domestic/human abuse.

Besides, my dear, you wouldn't report your brother to the OSPCA. You'd tell the authority figure - your parents. If the abuse doesn't immediately stop, then you'd better rehome Jenny before she undergoes more disgustingly horrid abuse.

If this is simply trolling, it's disturbing that you'd make up something this horrible. If this is your honest situation, you'd better stop the abuse.

Vela
10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
What she said. Glad someone else found that as disturbing as I did. I didn't say anything because I was kind of lost for words, but you summed it up pretty well Giselle, thanks.

Lady's Human
10-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Not to pile on.......but......

DO you think maybe the abuse you're writing about here might just maybe lead to the digestive problems the pup is having? Stress will do that. As would urine in water, etc.

Maybe rehoming the dog would be a good idea at this point.

moosmom
10-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I mentioned the whole scenario to the manager Jeff, who is the one that hired me. He told me I handled it correctly and that if he were there, he would have escorted the whole damn family out of the store and told them not to come back.

The biggest thing in Petco is the animals. They come first PERIOD. There is a huge sign on the tanks that says "Loud noises scare us". Maybe we should put it in Spanish as well.

Buttercup,

The problem is the mother was standing right there doing absolutely NOTHING. She only became angry after I repeatedly told her kid to knock it off and took him down off the step stool. I just don't give a crap anymore to be honest with you. I was doing my job and am NOT going to feel the least bit guilty over these stupid people. It's not worth it.

BTW, are we calling a truce here?? Cuz I'd really like to if you would. ;)

luvofallhorses
10-27-2006, 09:08 PM
What she said. Glad someone else found that as disturbing as I did. I didn't say anything because I was kind of lost for words, but you summed it up pretty well Giselle, thanks.

same here. something really bad could happen to Jenny if you don't do something about it now, Greyhoundgirl. :(

Dorothy39
10-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Blue_Frog,

Wow! That 5 year old COULD have been abducted by some pedophile. Then you know what would've happened?? The parents would've sued the store. Some people, like all animals, need to be spayed or neutered. The stupidity of parents these days amazes me.

I've heard nightmare stories about people who just dump their kids off at toy stores to play while they shop. They are the ones that need to be in jail.

I hope I never see that family again.

On a lighter note...

Yep, That Nightmare story is True , Donna.

While Shopping at my Favorite Pet Store, (Soldans), a little boy was just outside the store, looking at the Petting Zoo Display , (this was in the Spring)

Since I adore Children, I engaged in conversation, telling the Little Scamp where Llamas come from and encouraged him to listen :o )

When I went into the store to shop, a worker there, asked me if I knew the child, telling me that he has been there for over 2 hours!!! :eek:

Yeah, he was dropped off there, apparently , and I stayed there for over a half hour, feeling concerned.

We live in a whole different world of Parenting!!!

Daisy and Delilah
10-27-2006, 09:41 PM
GreyhoundGirl: Are you serious about your brother? This is inexcusable behavior in my book. Either do something about this abuse taking place in your home or definitely rehome this poor dog :mad: :( :mad:

I still can't believe you haven't already done something about it and I can't believe you posted that information on this board. Surely, you knew what was coming :(

luvofallhorses
10-27-2006, 09:57 PM
GreyhoundGirl: Are you serious about your brother? This is inexcusable behavior in my book. Either do something about this abuse taking place in your home or definitely rehome this poor dog :mad: :( :mad:

I still can't believe you haven't already done something about it and I can't believe you posted that information on this board. Surely, you knew what was coming :(

yeah, I agree. poor Jenny. :(

K9karen
10-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Donna, my friend, first of all, I'm so happy that you love your job! And, I have news for you, I'd kiss the meesies too....
I talk to the parakeets and all the birds and fish. I don't care what people think.

You totally verified WHY I don't work retail anymore. I always had 2 part time jobs as well as my primary job, cause I thought it'd be fun, and I got discounts etc. I'm a strong people person and thought I could handle anything..like..duh..no.

Adults are just as bad. When I worked the fancy dress dept. at a local department store, we were responsible for cleaning the changing rooms. When I found a dirty, yukky #2 diaper wrapped in a white cocktail dress, that was it for me. I asked for a transfer and soon after, quit (more nightmares). Luckily I didn't like the job that much anymore, because after a really hard day at #1 job, I actually leaned over a glass counter and grabbed a nasty 6itch, who was yelling at me and giving me a problem for no reason, by her coat and went nose to nose with her, Turns out she was testing me and gave in and apologized. I was the talk of the store for days. I didn't get fired, I quit. I must have been PMSing cause I never lost my temper like that.

I called the cops once when a kid around 10 stole 5 candy bars from the counter at my other pt job after his father told him he couldn't have any. Yep, I did. The father actually thanked me (no charges of course), paid for the candy and flew out of the store with the kid by the scruff of his neck.

Sorry, got off the subject. You'll have good and bad days. Hoping the other 364 days stay awesome.

I loved your security story, Mz Frog! Good for you!!!

Suki Wingy
10-28-2006, 12:35 AM
That is why I will never agian work in retail- it's downright depressing. (I have a back up job for after colledge if all else fails- farrier) I work at a museum at a historic farm and lots of people feel the need to activley engage their kids to run and scream, to throw all of the dirt and straw I JUST swept up out of the bin so that the kids can have a chance to clean too. My sister is 4 and she just switched daycares. She used to be well manered and was learning to sound out simple words and spell words, but now she is a wild child, her teachers don't dicipline and teach her awful grammar. That's proof there that it's far more beneficial to take some effort and teach your own kid right from wrong! STILL if she EVER banged on the tank/cage of an animal I'd have her look me in the eye and tell me why it's wrong to bang on the cages so that she understood the harm she was doing. A 4 year old can grasp the concept that banging on the tank can scare my lizard.

Blue_Frog
10-28-2006, 09:11 AM
The biggest thing in Petco is the animals. They come first PERIOD. There is a huge sign on the tanks that says "Loud noises scare us". Maybe we should put it in Spanish as well.
Yes - what a great idea! That way theres no misunderstandings, or "oh, i didn't know" issues (especially if you're somewhere like florida or s.cali where theres a lot of spanish). At my old job we offered Spanish technical support for when people didn't speak the best english, and it was really helpful for the clients to understand what we were telling them.

Alysser
10-28-2006, 10:37 AM
GreyhoundGirl, do your parents know your brother does this to Jenny? You have to do something about this! Your brother has to learn that this is wrong, how could you let this go on? Yet alone, post it on PETtalk. What your brother does to her is ANIMAL CRUELTY. Jenny shouldn't have to live like this. I'm afraid if your brother doesn't stop, you should rehome her so she can live a better life away from fear. It's not right and I can't believe you didn't do anything to stop him.

Animal Cruelty isn't funny either. Someone getting arrested for it, commited a horrific act and if your brother gets arrested for it an animal would have to suffer. That's NOT funny. :rolleyes:

Zippy
10-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Greyhoundgirl like everone said what you posted is very distrubing.If your parents can't get your brother to stop then please rehome Jenny.Sometimes the best way to show love is being able to do what is hardest for you but best for your Jenny.Maybe that is why Jenny is throwing up her food.

Flatcoatluver
10-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow Donna, that is horrible. I don't even know what I would do if I was in that situation.

I agree with Vela, some of your post are just.... trollish. Honestly if your brother is doing this he needs to go to therapy. Poor Jenny. If my older brother ever did that, yes I would rehome my pets, they do not deserve this. Luckily my brother loves animals like I do.

Vela
10-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Opps, sorry Donna, in my shock at reading the other thing I forgot to ever address your Petco post that was actually the point of this thread. I have three kids myself, and I would be appalled if one of my children behaved that way. I probably would have gotten my manager to deal with it just so there was no chance of anything happening to your job, but I would also be very upset with the way that child was allowed to behave. I know my kids and other people think im strict on my kids but I will not have them acting like that in public and harassing other shoppers or anyone else. I love my kids but I don't often like other people's kids=x Sometimes they are so horrid unless their parents are willing to teach them manners, and sometimes you have to wonder if the parents have any either!

*LabLoverKEB*
10-28-2006, 01:43 PM
W :mad: W! Sonme parents just need to get a damn cllue! I swear! :mad: :mad:

cyber-sibes
10-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh Donna, I love the image of you kissin the mices - how sweet! And about the kid - I'm always amazed what kids get away with right IN FRONT of their parents, too - and I do say something to the parents before saying anything to the child - then if they ignore me, I will address their kid. Don't usually have to, they're so surprised I ask them to control their child. (Gee, imagine that - what a concept!) It sounds like a great job overall!

moosmom
10-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Well yesterday I was working at Bed, Bath & Beyond. A guy was carrying his SCREAMING 3 year old little girl out of the store. He stood in the vestibule with her in his arms trying to reason with her (*sigh*). What does the kid do?? She SMACKS her father in the face not once but TWICE - HARD!!!

Hellloooooo Nanny 911???

cloverfdx
10-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Some parents have no idea :mad:. GreyhoundGirl your brother sounds like he needs some serious help, doing those kinds of things at fifteen years of age (Or any age) is so wrong. If you love your dog you will do whats best for her.. either get someone to do something about your brother or find the dog a safe home.

trayi52
10-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Donna, that is just awful! I don't see anything you did as wrong. You did the right thing. Some people really do need parenting classes. They just don't know how to be parents! Don't they know the dangers at all?

Willie

Lady's Human
10-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Trayi, which dangers, the dangers of being parents? LOL

Or the dangers of P/o'd store clerks after you retrieve your kids?

Sometimes I think people should have to get a license before reproducing.

Donna, kudos for holding your temper.

trayi52
10-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey, maybe the dangers of both, Ladys Human, LOL! You are right, you should have to have a licence to reproduce! Take a test, the works!

Willie :)

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
I reallise a lot of you are under the empression that Jen is fearful of my brother. I guess I worded that wrong, because it's quite the opposite. She is more aggresive with him than anyone else and not at all frightened.

P.S. And she never drinks the water that has been peed in. :rolleyes:

Vela
10-29-2006, 06:27 PM
So I guess that makes his abuse okay? Since it makes her aggressive rather than fearful??? If you really beleive that, heh, well..... :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: will have to do, I'm not allowed to say anything else.

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel loads better. :rolleyes:

Do you really think this was MY choice? If I could get rid of him, I assure you, I WOULD, in a heartbeat.

Alysser
10-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel loads better. :rolleyes:

Do you really think this was MY choice? If I could get rid of him, I assure you, I WOULD, in a heartbeat.

We aren't saying it's your choice that your brother abuses, Jenny. But it's your responsibilty to do something about it and put a stop to it. Part of owning an animal is protecting it from harm, and animal abuse counts for that.

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I do all I can to stop him, but that is rather difficult considering he is now almost twice my size and wieght and a second degree brown belt in contact karate. I don't think you guys realise that I LOVE JENNY. Let the words sink in................. I can't do more than I am already doing, and everyone who helps are doing their best too. I protect her as best I can, if that is not good enough for any of you just add me to your ignore lists.

luvofallhorses
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
We aren't saying it's your choice that your brother abuses, Jenny. But it's your responsibilty to do something about it and put a stop to it. Part of owning an animal is protecting it from harm, and animal abuse counts for that.

I agree. If he keeps on doing this, please, please rehome her! If I had a family member abusing my pets in my home, they certainly wouldn't be here. you as a pet owner are supposed to look out for the safety of Jenny and if it comes down to re-homing her, then do it as hard as it may be. you just can't let him do this anymore. :(

Alysser
10-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Wow, temper..temper!

Please direct me to where I said you didn't love, Jenny. :rolleyes: You can certainly do more then your already doing. No one ever mention getting physical with your brother to stop him. Your parents are the authority figures in your house and they should take responsibilty to his actions.

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I know you guys would ALL love to see me re-home her. But it's not happening. Sorry, but it's not. We are just going to take it slowly untill he is old enough to leave home. Than we are going to make sure he gets out the minute he can.

luvofallhorses
10-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Sorry, I know you guys would ALL love to see me re-home her. But it's not happening. Sorry, but it's not. We are just going to take it slowly untill he is old enough to leave home. Than we are going to make sure he gets out the minute he can.

well I just hope he stops hurting Jenny. :mad: :(

Giselle
10-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Maybe there is nothing you can do physically, but I have said this already.

You don't jump from trying to stop him yourself to asking the OSPCA to step in. You tell the authority figure in the house... your *parents*.

Again, abuse is not okay. Just the fact that you said that your brother is turning her aggressive shows that she's enduring emotional abuse. An aggressive dog with children in the house is a case for disaster. IMO, this is just asking for the AC to step in. If you really love this dog, rehome her.

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Do you think my parents are stupid? You think they don't notice? You think they haven't tried to stop him?

"and everyone who helps are doing their best too." This means my parents, and many others are helping. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Wow, temper..temper!

I do get tempermental when I have half a dozen people telling me I am not doing all I can to stop torture on my pride and joy.

Alysser
10-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I do get tempermental when I have half a dozen people telling me I am not doing all I can to stop torture on my pride and joy.

We aren't in your house, you typed "my brother does blah,blah,and blah to my dog." and automatically we assume Jenny is being abused. We can only go by what YOU yourself typed. Sorry, but we're not mind readers. :rolleyes:

I'm not in your situation, nor do I know how you feel about this but I would be doing alot more then you are to make my sister stop.

BTW, I don't want to put you on my ignore list. I enjoy many of your posts and seeing pictures of Jenny. I never want to use the ignore list option.

GreyhoundGirl
10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe your family has more control over your sister than mine does my brother. But I thought you people knew me better than to think I wouldn't be doing my best for her.

junescrater716
10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Ugh. I hate tiny itsy bisty jerky kids!!! I never did that ever!!! My mom was always telling me to not touch anything and constantly holding on to me!!! If I were you I would've started moving the stool so the kid would fall. grrrrrrr. WHAT THE HECK IS WITH PARENTS????? One time this little kid came up to me and just started screaming at me!!! Me and my mom walked by the mother and my mom told her to control her freaking kid! The other mother just looked at her like we were in the wrong. Thats why I could NEVER EVER work in a daycare. lol

junescrater716
10-29-2006, 07:33 PM
My dad works at Lowes and theres alot of dangerous equipment there and you always see parents yelling at the employees for telling the stupid little kids to get off of the things!!!