PDA

View Full Version : I think one of my bettas is sick..

Muddy4paws
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I've noticed that one of my red bettas has turned a lighter colour, the colour isnt as strong as it was before its turned more pink in places, I've treated her water with stresscoat when I change the water and she has a filter in the tank too, The tank is shared with my other red betta and she seems to be fine and alot more lively than the lighter one

Am I doing something wrong? should I taker her out?

My Peanuts
10-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I know a lot about fish, but I'm not a betta expert. However, I do think it's normal for them to look lighter or darker at times. My African cichlids are blue and one of them gets so dark sometimes she looks black. Do you see worms/parasites, spots, or damaged fins? Those are definite signs of disease.

Does the stress coat also remove chlorine and ammonia from the water? Is the betta eating? Is the filter gentle enough for bettas? Bettas are not strong swimmers and a filter that is too powerful will cause them a lot of stress.

Husky_mom
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Iīm no expert either but one of my blue males lightened quite a bit one time, I changed his water and in a couple days he was back to normal.......I canīt assure what was wrong but it seemed to help.........

Muddy4paws
10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
The stress coat is meant to make the water from the tap safe

Each dose of Stress Coat removes 3.0 ppm chlorine and 0.3 ppm heavy metals.

To protect fish and condition water:

Add two teaspoonfuls (10 ml) for every 10 U.S. gallons of aquarium water.

To remove chlorine and heavy metals and neutralize chloramines:Add one teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 10 U.S. gallons (40 liters) of tap water.

For tropical fish use only. Do not use on fish intended for human consumption.

Compatibility:

Stress Coat can be used with freshwater tropical fish, marine fish, invertebrates and coldwater species including koi and goldfish. Stress Coat will not harm aquatic plants. Stress Coat may cause foaming in marine aquariums using a protein skimmer. Stress Coat will not interfere with water test kits.

1US gallon (3.78 L). Treats 7560 US gallons (28,615 L)

Thats what Ive been using I have been using the exact amount that I am meant toEach dose of Stress Coat removes 3.0 ppm chlorine and 0.3 ppm heavy metals.

To remove chlorine and heavy metals and neutralize chloramines:Add one teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 10 U.S. gallons (40 liters) of tap water.

Compatibility:

Stress Coat can be used with freshwater tropical fish, marine fish, invertebrates and coldwater species including koi and goldfish. Stress Coat will not harm aquatic plants. Stress Coat may cause foaming in marine aquariums using a protein skimmer. Stress Coat will not interfere with water test kits.

?@Each dose of Stress Coat removes 3.0 ppm chlorine and 0.3 ppm heavy metals.

Compatibility:

I'm using the right amount everything I change the water

She isnt acting right in herself shes staying to the bottom of the tank for ages just in the same place, this is the second day and I havent seen her move too much. I thought she was dead when I came home today she didnt move at all! I hope its nothing but this is the second day so I thought I would ask for advice.

The filter is very very low so I dont think thats a problem, shes eating as far as I know but not a lot.

I've noticed there is a tiny line of black scales on her back shes hiding I'll check when I can see her better but it wasnt there yesterday! :(

My Peanuts
10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
You may want to get a small heater. I got mine for VERY cheap. I don't know the conversion but it was $6-$7. Bettas can live without heaters but tend to be more active with heaters. Also you might want to get the fresh water salt I was talking about in another thread. It boosts their immune systems.

elleagwire
10-27-2006, 03:23 AM
OMG! I have my stadust but I don't even know if he's sick. But I would seem to observe that there are days when stardust seemed a little bit weak but those days are not that regular. But changing color? I'll see if that happens to stradust too...

http://user.cbn.net.id/tiram/My%20Web2/Ct-kng01.jpg

Elle Mayson