PDA

View Full Version : She loves to chew underwear!!!

Sadie's Mom
04-27-2001, 07:14 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my Wheaton to stop chewing underwear, socks and pajamas? I know that Terriers do like to chew and we have given her lots of 'chew toys', raw hide treats, etc., but she will still steal clothes from the laundry hamper and chew them to shreds!! God forbid if any of us had to go to the hospital or something as we all walk around with holey or is that 'holy' underwear! Sadie knows it is wrong because when she does it she usually leaves the 'evidence' in my room and she won't even go up there until the cost is clear. How do I get her to stop? Help!!

Jasper's Mom
04-27-2001, 07:28 AM
I haven't been able to get my two goldies to leave that kind of wonderfully scented stuff alone either. Just keeping it out of their reach has been a partial solution. Don't want them ingesting them and ending up on a vet's operating table.

RachelJ
04-27-2001, 12:38 PM
Yes, I too have the "ventilated" underwear. Luckily nobody consumes it but it really is easier to try to keep it out of reach (covered laundry hamper) than anything else. This is a case of do as I say, not as I do. Mine is kept in a laundry basket in the bottom of my closet and when the closet doors are left open, it is accessible. I'm waiting for one of my two to happily appear with a pair of my "knickers" in mouth when I have guests.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited April 27, 2001).]

Sadie's Mom
04-27-2001, 12:44 PM
RachelJ:

Thanks for the advice. I usually do keep the laundry in the hamper but Sadie seems to still be able to get it. I had to laugh at your comment about guests. We had company stay with us back in January and they left their suitcase on the floor - Sadie went in to their room and I caught her coming down the stairs with a pair of their 'drawers' in her mouth!

carrie
04-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Train yourselves first to shut doors - anyone who has kids will understand that one!! (My husband has a thing about switching off lights when you leave a room - I am all for it, save money and energy - but he is totally obsessed! I am still the one who has to follow him around turning off his lights as he follows the kids turning off theirs!!!)
It is a lot more serious than it sounds. When I worked for Guide Dogs we had to take a dog out of service because of this habit. The owner was a male who insisted that he lived on his own at all times and couldn't understand what was happening but the third time the dog was rushed to the vet to have a pair of tights (pantyhose?) removed from it's gut was one time too many!!
Lid the laundry basket, tidy up the clothes on the floor (thank you Paddy for never showing this inclination - I could never manage that one!!!!) and consider putting a few mouse traps on top of the laundry. They won't be able to hurt the dog but may just make him think twice about going there again!!
Try using a bungy cord across the top of the basket - you know, one of those elastic rope type things that has a hook at each end - used to strap things to the roof of cars - it should stop the dog getting the lid off.

Logan
04-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Anyone who has the "underwear" problem should read the following message thread from the MSN Golden Retriever site. It will make your troubles seem like nothing! It is hilarious.
http://communities.msn.com/GoldenRetriever/messageboard.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=31079&LastModified=4675316368293596954

mruffruff
05-04-2001, 11:28 AM
You might try this. Liberally sprinkle an old pair of socks and/or some underwear with Texas Pete hot sauce and leave them handy. Once or twice should cure your dog.

Violet
05-09-2001, 01:07 PM
My beagle mix (Sassy) has the same problem. Use everybody elses advice and get the items out of reach of the dog and then try to catch the dog in the act. When you catch him, just simply clap your hands and say no in a serious tone. After he drops the item, praise him with lots of love.No treats!