PDA

View Full Version : Use the right terminology

Pawsitive Thinking
10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Just heard an horrific tale about a friend of a friend who took her rabbits to the vets to be "done" as in neutered.

Somehow the vet interpreted this to be "done in" as in euthanised :eek:

CathyBogart
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
That's why a GOOD vet will question you about your animal before doing anything with it. I'm wondering why this vet's techs didn't take a history and ask why the client wanted the animal euthanized. It sounds like total irresponsibility on the part of both the client and the tech. If I were bringing an animal in to be neutered, I would want to know things like when I could pick the animal up, post-op instructions....you know, important stuff.

One of my teachers told me a similar story about a woman who brought two young basset hound in to be "destroyed", thinking that "destroyed" was the proper term for neutering them. She did come back before both of them had been euthanized, but she did lose one dog.

Another example of when correct terminology is important, and why it is VITAL for the techs to ask questions, is if a dog comes in that the client says is "vomiting", then you question them and find out that the animal is REGURGITATING....the two terms are different, and indicative of different things.

buttercup132
10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
:eek: What kind of vet did she take i too??

Any vet would ask what you mean by done. Also its kind of her fault for assuming the vet would know what "done" means.

R.I.P poor bunny

lvpets2002
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
:eek: OMG WHAT WHAT I can not even think of such happing to my baby.. However I will admitt my Vet & I are very detailed of why my baby is there & what is to be going on & why & when..

zoomer
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I can't even imagine a vet doing that to one of my pets!! Ugh that made me so upset :mad: What a stupid vet... a good one would have asked what she meant and not just put the poor bunny to sleep! :( :mad: Poor thing! RIP little bunny :(

Chilli
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Misunderstandings can lead to such tragic events... though I can see how this is both the owner's and vet's fault to an extent. I don't really want to go pointing fingers, though.

Poor rabbits.

chocolatepuppy
10-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Wouldn't a vet tech or the vet or someone ask a few questions before the bunnies were euthanized :confused: :(

CathyBogart
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't a vet tech or the vet or someone ask a few questions before the bunnies were euthanized :confused: :(

I think they would. Honestly, it sounds fishy to me that something like this could happen in this day and age. 20 years ago, yes. Now, I'm having a hard time believing that there isn't more to this story or that it isn't an urban myth type thing.