PDA

View Full Version : Yet another shoe has dropped...

moosmom
10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
No, I haven't heard from the apartment management yet about the apartment.

I was going to Social Services this morning and my fan belt start squeaking. At first I opened the window to listen and thought it was a truck I was behind. Nope. It's my car making that noise.

I got a card from the dealer telling me it's time for routine maintenance on the timing belt at 60,000 (my car only has 57,000) and giving me $60 off on the work. I called the dealship. The cost??? Anywhere between $500-$800. :eek: :eek:

*shakes head, rolls eyes* Covered under warranty?? Nope. Fortunately, I have a friend from high school that runs an automotive repair shop in Wethersfield who has done work on my past cars. I trust him immensely. I called him. He's going to do it for half of what the dealer will. He said it could've been that since it was so cold out this morning, the belt was cold and the squeak went away once it warmed up.

Just what I need right now. :rolleyes:

Randi
10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Donna, once you get that apartment, get a bicycle! ;) You'll be close enough for work, right?

Good luck!!

Laura's Babies
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
That is how it goes... A run a bad luck that seems endless, and always just when you are struggeling as it is.... BUT! Put it in the hands of the Lord and He will take care of you!

Dorothy39
10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll second that motion Donna!!!

There's always a solution for every worry under the sun! ;)

moosmom
10-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Was I surprized?? Not in the least. Am I upset? Nope. The meds MUST be working! :p

Randi,

I'd be able to ride a bike only if it has snow tires on it. The jobs are about 20 minutes away from the apartment.

BC_MoM
10-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Geez, vehicles are so darn expensive!! Glad you have a trusted mechanic friend who gives you a nice discount! ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
What kind of car do you have? I was under the impression that you didn't need to replace the timing belt until 80,000-100,000 miles.

I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla with 100,000 miles, and I should be getting a new timing belt, too, but I really can't afford it. Call around!! The price to replace it varies wildly- I got estimates anywhere from $400-900 (though I haven't had it replaced yet). I bet you can find a better price somewhere else...

lizbud
10-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I've never heard of routine maintenance on a timing belt. :confused:
They are known to last approx. 100,000 miles, but can run longer in some
model cars. It is very expensive to replace one. Most of the high charge
is due to the labor involved.Practically have to take the car apart in the
process.

ramanth
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
*HUGS*

My sisters car blew it's head gasket and is sitting dead in our other sister's yard. :eek: :( So it's off to shop for a new car.

It's good you have someone close that can fix your car for a lower price. :)