PDA

View Full Version : Dominating

slleipnir
06-06-2002, 08:00 PM
You know how if dogs stare into another dogs eyes, its like showing their more dominate? Well, I've heard its the same for dogs - humans. Jo will stare at me for the longest time..like 2-3 minutes sometimes..Even if I stare back..Why would she feel more dominate then me?? Is there some way to 'correct' it, if it needs to be? I want her to realize that she listens to me, not the other way around.

lizbud
06-06-2002, 09:20 PM
I don't think it's the same with dogs & humans. Jose
doesn't think that staring at you is a contest or trying to
show dominence over you. She loves you, you are her
special person. She is just waiting for clues from you as
to what's up, if anything. She's interested in watching
you b/c she doesn't want to miss out on anything that
happens with you. :D At least, that's what I think.:D

mugsy
06-06-2002, 09:24 PM
We were told that we needed to flip the dog on his/her back and keep them immobile for a minute or 2 and keep eye contact with them until they look away and that teaches them that YOU are alpha and you're not going to take their crap! lol It does seem to work on our dogs when they want to get a little bit of a tude!!

I wouldn't worry too much though unless she starts acting like she is trying to become alpha.

Good luck

lizbud
06-06-2002, 09:36 PM
Mugsy,

I personally do not believe in the "Alpha Roll" technique,
but whatever works for you & Mike. I would never use it
on Buddy, even if he didn't outweigh me. :D

slleipnir
06-07-2002, 07:51 AM
I saw on a show that dogs DO think we are their pack, and there is an alpha in the pack (I'm guess my dad or bro, cause they have deeper voices) The guy said to stare them in the eye and take in a deep voice and they should look away..it doesn't work for me! LOL

Thanks for the advise Liz & Mugsy :D

C.C.'s Mom
06-07-2002, 07:59 AM
I know that if I stare into Cookie's eyes, she'll bow her head and doesn't look me in the eyes anymore.
If I'm angry with her, I look into her eyes, tell her to go into her basket with a deep voice and than I go over to kiss her on her head because she looks sooooo sad and it breaks my heart. Most probably no advice (hehe).

I also think that we should be the alpha dog in the household. I notice how Cookie takes control over my husband when I'm not there. Entering the house first, having him to pet her. She won't do it when I'm there and I always have this feeling that she feels more comfy when I'm there because she knows where she's at. With my husband it's a constant battle for both of them.
In dog obedience we were told to lower our voice and speak clearly when we ask something from our dogs.

Dixieland Dancer
06-07-2002, 01:36 PM
As Liz said, the dog is looking for clues from you. Especially if you are not showing for certain that you are the alpha. The only thing to watch out for is if you are not showing you are the Alpha then your dog will act like he is Alpha even if he is not secure in this position.

I am also not a fan of the Alpha roll. There are more positive ways of enforcing that you are the alpha in the pack. Some suggestions....

Make the dog sit at doors and only allow them out after you say it's okay. I make mine wait until I go out first sometimes. If they were not sure of thier position in the pack then I would make them do it all the time.

Give your dog it's kibble by hand. Hand feeding shows two things. 1. You are the provider of what they need to survive and 2. You are the giver of all good things!

Make the dog "work" for all toys and adventure. For instance, I play train my guys by making them speak or sit before throwing their frisbee. We do some healing exercises before going for a walk. Once they catch on, they come to expect this instead of just going.

Use an authoritative tone of voice when giving a command. Never give up until the dog does what you ask. If you give a command and the dog does not listen and you say "Oh the heck with it", you are inforcing that the dog does not have to listen.

I try to set my dogs up for success all the time. I try not to ask anything of them that they do not thoroughly understand! That is why training is so important. Plus it helps establish a closer bond.

If your dog does stare you in the eyes, try to win the contest! If you have to, make a funny face at the dog or some exclamation that will make the dog wonder what the heck is going on here! In other words you took the challenge away and your the winner! :p

slleipnir
06-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Thank you :D I will try that! I'm not sure if she thinks shes more dominate them me, or if shes just not sure. If shes outside barking at a dog, she WON'T listen to ANYONE who calls her, she acts like she doesn't hear you. When it comes to asking her to do tricks, she usually only does them for me, not my mom, but sometimes my dad. Probably because I trained her? I want her to know that I am higher in the pack then her, and what I saw, goes. Like when I'm going to bed, I call her, and she runs to see my dad before coming. I want her to come STRAIGHT to me (I guess it might be mean of me, but I want her to realize that she can say goodnight to my dad after she does what shes told) When she stares at me, I stare back until she looks away (sometimes takes a while :x) I always make her do something before she gets a treat, and I tell her when she can go eat her food. I'm going to start doing the other things you said, and hope she'll learn. Thanks! :D