PDA

View Full Version : Need your help!

catnapper
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I found out today about a job opportunity that I've long considered my dream job. I've sent my resume to this company twice before but was told that I wasn't what they were looking for at that time. I've since grown as an artist and hope I'm now at the level they're looking for and I'm sending my resume with examples of my artwork one last time (third time's a charm, right?)

Anyway, this is what they are looking for:
Artist/Illustrator
Become part of our creative team, design or adapt for a variety of products including painting, needlecrafts, rubber stamping, and other crafts for both adults and children. We are an international company, highly respected for our quality designs, and currently expanding our art department. We are seeking artists with strong design, illustration and hand lettering skills in both hand-rendered and digital media. If you are an energetic, deadline driven, creative person who thrives in a supportive, team oriented environment, this could be the right position for you. Please forward resume with non-returnable art samples to XXXXxxxxxxx xXXXXxxxx

You all know I have plenty of examples of artwork to give them. I have needlework that I've designed (which will need to be rephotographed) and the one piece was actually second place for a national design competition. I have done calligraphy in my younger days.... which is where I need help. I need ideas of what I can write up real fast to include with the portfolio package. It can't look fast - but it needs to be fast. It can't be something like me calligraphing a poem. It needs to be something interesting. Any ideas?

I admittedly lack the digital media skills, but give me a chance to learn and I'll be able to do it, I know I could!

Also, in my resume, how do I address the lack of digital imaging?

I'm scared to submit my resume a third time in 5 years for fear of being rejected, but hey, you never know unless you try. This seriously is what I've long considered to be my dream job. The best part is that the company is a few miles away.

I have no idea how long they've been looking for an illustrator so I want to get this package in to them within a week. HELP!

Edwina's Secretary
10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Don't worry about it being the third application in five years. It would be unusual for the same person to be reviewing resume five years down the pike. (Application are rarely retain more than one year if that!) Tell them it has always been your dream job and why (don't include the commuting distance.)

I think second place for a national design contest would be great to mention.

Maybe you can think of something that expresses WHY this is your dream job to illustrate....

kitten645
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't mention your LACK of skills and emphasize your strengths. There are few "perfect" candidates out there and if you have all the other qualifications I think they will assume you aren't a half-wit and can learn anything else needed :p If they ask you directly about it, just be honest and say you are a quick study and proficient in related area's i.e. computer skills and that should suffice.
BTW I just took a Photoshop class online for $69 from my town Parks and Rec dept and it was great. Learn at your own pace etc. Maybe you could find something like that to give you at least preliminary knowledge.
As ES said, you can't apply too often. It shows a real interest and employers like that. I know if I saw the same resume come across my desk (assuming I remember it!) I'd eventually consider the candidate.
Good Luck! :)

Laura's Babies
10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Your retrying just shows them your determination and that could be a plus in your favor. It shows you don't get discouraged easy and are willing to keep trying until you accomplish what you want.

Digital skills... Is there somewhere, where you could take lessons? Get signed up and say you are now enrolled in a class for that..?

moosmom
10-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Kim,

Go for it. Like I said on the phone, if you don't, there will always be that "what if???" nagging at you. Like Kitten645 said, don't mention your lack of skills. Sell yourself like a ho on the street, girlfriend. Focus on all your strengths. That's what sells.

JUST DO IT!!! ;)

K9karen
10-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Lots of luck, Kim, the job description sounds so perfect for you! I hope you get the position so you can finally get tons of recognition for your awesome work!

I'm a computer/digital/electronic nincompoop, but I don't think digital imaging is difficult. Leave that part out and like Donna and everyone else said, sell yourself. Nobody can possibly know everything about everything! :D

Fingers crossed for you!

Lizzie
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
A large part of my job is hiring, supervising, managing, etc. so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I don't think you should pass over reference to the digital imaging because it can look as though you didn't read the job description well enough, but neither should you address it on your resume or as a lack of skill. In your cover letter, mention it in a postive, "I'm really looking forward to learning this skill" kind of way. Along the lines of "I note that digital imaging will be part of my job, a branch of artwork that I find very exciting, and I look forward to adding this skill to add to the array of experienced artistic skills I would bring to this position." In your own words, of course. I haven't had my morning cuppa yet so not at my best.

Edited to add: Good luck with the application and really hope you get the job.